Turbo Problems? Ford Focus 1.8 TDCI 57 Plate - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
snaily
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 93386
What I Drive: 2007 Black 1.8 TDCI

FF Reputation: 1 snaily Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Turbo Problems? Ford Focus 1.8 TDCI 57 Plate

Hi there everyone,

I am hoping that you will be able to offer me some advice. I apologise that I am not very mechanically minded, so bear with me!

On Thursday morning, we were to set off on a 300 mile journey down South from Scotland to spend New Year and my Birthday with my family. Anyway, 30 miles into the journey, I was dong about 75mph on the motorway, and as I was stepping on the accelerator, all of a sudden the car seemed to have no thrust/boost/power/acceleration, so I automatically pulled into the left lane, but there was no hard shoulder, so I had to travel (at about 30mph until I reached the emergency layby less than a mile ahead). When I put my foot on the accelerator, the car made a high pitch whirring/whooshing/wooooing noise.. which appeared to come from at the back of the steering wheel ish.

So once stopped, I turned of engine etc and stuck my head under the bonnet- but to be honest, I had no clue what I was looking for... So I called out the AA. Unbeknown to me that the member ship I had with them, only entitled me to a 10 mile tow. So I had to pay them 130 to upgrade !! Anyway, I was devastated about breaking down, I panicked, and the only garage that could fit me in (day before New Years eve) was Halfords. So the car got dropped off there. The AA man said it was highly unlikely to be the turbo, but the wooooing noise did sound like it.

The car is a 57 plate, it has been fully serviced and MOTd, and has done 45k miles.

So the halfords guy said he would have a look. And he ran diagnostics etc on the car, and they apparently came back clear/negative. Anyway, he said he would have another look tomrorow. So this he did. He said that all SIGNS were pointing towards the turbo.. but couldnt understnad why some of the tests were clear. He then said that they took it out for a test drive, and said they didnt get far. After that, he then said there was oil coming out the exhaust.

He told me to phone Ford, and basically that he didnt want to fix the car, as he thinks Ford should fix it at a reduced rate as the car is young and low mileage for turbos going. But to be honest, he couldnt guarantee 100% it was the turbo... so has told me to take it to a Ford dealership.

I phoned round garages asking for quotes on new turbos, and I came back with between 1200-1500. Which frankly I cant really afford anyway !!

The car was 8500 two years ago, I just valued it on webuyanycar and its now sat at 4500. So if I sell the car, after paying for the repairs, it makes it worth 2k. Its outrageous.

Is anyone able to offer me any advice about what I should do. As it stands, I have to get the car towed to a Ford garage... and pay whatever they throw at me...

SHould a car of this age and mileage have had turbo problems?

Could I phone up Ford and try and get them to do something about it?

Has Halfords damaged my car even more after taking it for a drive?

If I were to drive the car a mile to the Ford garage- would that damage it further or am I advised to get it towed?

No warning lights or anything came on in the car at the time. Though two days prior to making the journey, when I switched the engine on, there was a slight knocking noise that disappeared in two minutes of sat idling.

Please help... [Sad]

Many thanks in advance for taking the time to read and reply.

Sarah

p.s. I am in Edinburgh!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Its tuff to help because we dont have that engine here , Things I would look at is the piping from the turbo to the intercooler then intercooler to throttle body biggest thing being the hoses that connect

I would take the hose off the turbo and with car NOT RUNNING there is what looks like a bolt in the center feeling inside the turbo where you removed the hose , put 2 fingers on this shaft and try to move side to side if you feel more then about .030 movement then your turbo could be bad , if you feel .250 movement your turbo is for sure bad

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 01-02-2012, 06:06 PM   #3
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I had something similar happen to me, but it was just that the turbo boost hose had come off between the turbo and the engine. I heard the whirring whoosh sound. IDK about the oil coming out of the exhaust.

I also don't know what sort of factory warranty was on your vehicle when it was originally purchased. That's what makes the difference. Those warranties are transferrable, and are on the car not the owner. Being as it's an 07- you'd better hurry. Ford USA (sorry I'm not on the island) only gives us 3 yr standard warranties, but at one time there were 5yr 100k mile warranties from Ford. Hopefully that's what you have.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:13 AM   #4
SonicZXIII
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90927
What I Drive: 2005 Sonic Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 SonicZXIII Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
hmmm i had a dodge neon built srt4 (POS) in my shop one time.. took it out and had problems simular to yours, the car was limited to driving about 30ish MPH. turned out it had whats called overboost condition. I believe (and please, correct if I am wrong on something, turbos not my strong point) that overboost is when the turbo boosts higher than the wastegate controller is set to allow it to boost. The ECU isn't tuned to the excess boost, and therefore doesn't operate with a proper mixture for it (more than likely, at least, depending on how much over). Long term effects, it could damage components that aren't properly set up to run with that extra pressure. You probably wouldn't notice it daily driving, but it's a problem. Basically, your car is doing something it isn't prepared to do.

if i was in saltcoats by ayrshire visiting the family, i would come by and take a look but no money for a ticket. but def check if theres any play in the turbo first.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:35 PM   #5
snaily
Focus Rookie

Thankyou guys for all of your replies.

Here is where I am at...

I had the car towed by the AA, a mile up the road to the Ford Dealership- as when I phoned Ford, they wouldnt really do anything or say anything until a Ford approved garage had seen it.

So today, I have been on tenterhooks all day waiting to hear the fate of my car.

Anyway, I have phoned up 4 times, and the last time, at half an hour before closing, I got to speak to someone about my car that had been looked at.. though it just so happened it wasnt the technician that worked on it apparently.

Anyway, the first thing the man said was... the reason we didnt phone you is because I was wanting to try and find you a cheaper price, but all our parts guys are all away home now. He said it LOOKS like it is going to be 1600 for a new turbo fitted. And I said .. right.. ok... so your going to replace the turbo, can you guarantee that will rectify the problem... he went silent. He CANNOT guarantee that replacing the turbo will sort the car.

So I said so what exactly did you do today and find out through the diagnostics... and he couldnt answer me. So I said well surely if the turbo is completely dead, you can tell that through your diagnostics.. he said it wasnt totally dead. He said that the error code that was coming up on the systems, were lack of power... which COULD be as a result of the turbo. But he said we need to replace the turbo to RETEST it, to see if that rectifies the problem. He could not guarantee that after spending 1600 on abrand new turbo, that my car would be fixed. So I asked him why on earth he couldnt tell me what was wrong with the car.. and he said he would speak to the other technician tomorrow, and phone me back.

So I am no further forward. My car is merely now at a garage that wants to use trial and error to replace the turbo to see if it will fix it, but by the sounds of the mechannic, he didnt think it would. .. Just like Halfords wanted to wash their hands of me to get rid of the car, as they didnt know if it was the turbo, because half the tests they did, came back negative.

Halfords did hold their hands up and say they didnt have it on a ramp and check ALL of the pipes.

So I am waiting on Ford phoning me back tomorrow.

If the garage replace the turbo, and the car still lacks power, what on earth could be causing that then... I asked the guy this, and he couldnt give me an answer.

So if I spend 1600 on a new turbo, and the problems still exist- would I be correct in thinking I should technically be able to get out of paying that 1600, because surely I could just get my old one put back oN !!!!

If its not my turbo... after that is replaced.. can someone please give me any other causes... I assume I would be looking at engine replacement or something drastic along those lines?

Im at my wits end, I am lost without my car.. and damn'd if I am paying 1600 for them to play about with my car and not get it fixed at the end of it.

Im sorry, I am probably being out of order, its not their fault thsi has happened, but surely someone can take the turbo bits and pieces off, and have a look in and tell me that my turbo is knackered.. surely? But when I asked..' is my turbo completely knackered'', he said no.

:( How ridiculous, I am actually making myself ill because of this... and its just a damn car, but grrrrr. Surely someone would be able to give me a reason why the error code is comnig up.. and if its not the turbo causing it.. then what it would be?
Old 01-04-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
SonicZXIII
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90927
What I Drive: 2005 Sonic Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 SonicZXIII Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Yes most shops will credit you back and replace it with old turbo. Most dealers will..... But the fact that they have no remote idea, makes me believe they have no one qualified to deal with this. it would prolly be benificial to check the turbo your self to feel for play in the turbine (if you will) if so the turbo is bad. if no play then the turbo is good. If you cannot, then ask them to do this in front of you. The only other thing i really can think of is the over boost condition.

When the engine is on what kinda noises does it make? Is there clunking, grinding?. Does it idle funny?
Old 01-04-2012, 02:50 PM   #7
snaily
Focus Rookie

When the engine is running, there are no funny sounds, nothing different to it normalling idling. The only thing I would say, is that a week or so ago, I switched the car on, and there was a clunking knocking heard from the bonnet. I switched it off, and on, and foolishly forgot about it as it stopped. I then travelled 1100 miles that weekend with no problems. Then this happens on a 30 mile drive.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:30 PM   #8
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaily View Post
I had the car towed by the AA, a mile up the road to the Ford Dealership- as when I phoned Ford, they wouldnt really do anything or say anything until a Ford approved garage had seen it.
So I said so what exactly did you do today and find out through the diagnostics... and he couldnt answer me. So I said well surely if the turbo is completely dead, you can tell that through your diagnostics.. he said it wasnt totally dead. He said that the error code that was coming up on the systems, were lack of power... which COULD be as a result of the turbo. But he said we need to replace the turbo to RETEST it, to see if that rectifies the problem. He could not guarantee that after spending 1600 on abrand new turbo, that my car would be fixed. So I asked him why on earth he couldnt tell me what was wrong with the car.. and he said he would speak to the other technician tomorrow, and phone me back.

So I am waiting on Ford phoning me back tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaily View Post
He told me to phone Ford, and basically that he didnt want to fix the car, as he thinks Ford should fix it at a reduced rate as the car is young and low mileage for turbos going. But to be honest, he couldnt guarantee 100% it was the turbo... so has told me to take it to a Ford dealership.

p.s. I am in Edinburgh!
Hello Snaily,

Welcome to the Forum !

The Gents and Ladies on the forum are a great help as well as your Ford Service Manager. So I encourage you to continue working with your local Ford dealer personnel and stay in contact with Ford's UK Customer Relationship Center.

Noemi

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 11-05-2012, 08:46 AM   #9
Ollie_1988
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105689
What I Drive: 2007, Silver, Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Ollie_1988 Good Standing Member
Any News???

Hi,
I have a 07 plate 1.8ltr TDCi Focus and around 2 months ago a loud knocking noise was coming from the engine, turned out the big end barrings had gone and the crank was also knackered. I had this repaired, luckily my dad is handy with cars and I got it all done for less than 400. But I was told that the turbo was on the way out, Since then a whooing sound was coming from under the bonnet, which only sounded when accelerating, I put this down to the turbo. Then yesterday I was on a short journey doing 70mph and something went, which I think was the turbo, I lost all power, no acceleration and had to pull up on the side of the A38 where there wasn't a layby. I am going to take a look at the turbo some time this week but I am wondering if yours turned out to be the turbo.

Thanks

Ollie
Old 08-15-2013, 05:57 AM   #10
focus08ts
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 117831
What I Drive: 08 white focus estate

FF Reputation: 1 focus08ts Good Standing Member
Hi everyone new to here
I have a 08 focus estate 1 .8 lx tdci

When I m driving car engine system fault light comes

No loss of power whishing sound of turbo

Any ideas wat this may be when I turn of car off it resets and later comes on Mostly coming up hard hills

Thanks in advance

Bookmarks & Social Networks