Backup Camera for Ford Focus Titanium - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-02-2012, 08:31 AM   #1
oldparts
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 93360
What I Drive: 2012 candy red 5dr. Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 oldparts Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Backup Camera for Ford Focus Titanium

Has anyone added an OEM backup camera to a Ford Focus with MFT.
I have read about a company using a wire kit for plug and play I believe called (Lock Pick), however they have so far only made these kits for vehicles as new as 2011. There must be someone who has attempted this install. The Ford parts department has indicated that OEM parts 19G490 Backup up camera and 19H405 module are necessary plus a correct wiring harness is necessary. In addition, MFT would have to be reflashed...... Ford is missing the boat by not providing these parts in a kit for after the fact purchasers. Please offer you comments and input.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #2
sdrono
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 92500
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Titanium sedan

FF Reputation: 1 sdrono Good Standing Member
Yea I totally agree. We thought that we had the backup camera when we ordered the Backup assist but the camera only comes with park assist. That sucked.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:47 PM   #3
oldparts
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 93360
What I Drive: 2012 candy red 5dr. Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 oldparts Good Standing Member
If the was enough interest shown on this site perhaps Ford would take notice and make it happen for a rearview camera complete install kit. Afterall, they certainly would have an opportunity to make a profit on the deal. Let's all give our input and see how much interest in out there for a backup camera.

YES........
NO.........
Maybe.....
Old 01-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #4
rapprich
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89282
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Silver Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 rapprich Good Standing Member
Would be interested in a backup camera that doesn't void the warranty and can be installed at a reasonable cost.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:53 PM   #5
NorthernFocalPoint
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89496
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Red Titanium Focus HB

FF Reputation: 3 NorthernFocalPoint Good Standing Member
Actually, it probably will become a dealer option/add-on at some point if what one of the salesman told me about Ford planning on unbundling the back-up camera option from the Parking Assist Package in the near future.

As a more immediate option for the Cdns (or for Americans near the border), there's a wireless rearview camera/mirror combo avail. @ Cdn Tire which I've seen on-sale for $179 I think - just don't use the bluetooth function while using the camera according to the reviews!

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en
Old 01-02-2012, 10:22 PM   #6
rapprich
Focus Rookie

Thank you. I "assume" that that doesn't include installation. And I'm very happy with the auto dimming rear view mirror now on the car. Mine does have the park assist with the beeping as you get closer. A rear view camera is certainly a want, not a need and I've lived without one like 40 years driving. But they are so neat, especially to a gadget guy!!
Old 01-02-2012, 10:44 PM   #7
NorthernFocalPoint
Focus Enthusiast

Oh I hear ya loud and clear which is why even though I didn't really need the self-park feature, I made sure to negotiate hard to compensate for the forced bundling on my Ti.

as for the Canadian tire mirror, I don't think it includes installation however it should be minimal since it really only needs power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapprich View Post
Thank you. I "assume" that that doesn't include installation. And I'm very happy with the auto dimming rear view mirror now on the car. Mine does have the park assist with the beeping as you get closer. A rear view camera is certainly a want, not a need and I've lived without one like 40 years driving. But they are so neat, especially to a gadget guy!!
Old 01-02-2012, 10:51 PM   #8
rapprich
Focus Rookie

Ok; so you have the back up camera and the parks itself option. Do you love it? I work at a rental car company and many of the Chrysler town and countries have back up cameras. They are neat. I can see a back up camera in my future. The self park.....I hardly ever parallel park.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:37 AM   #9
NorthernFocalPoint
Focus Enthusiast

Do I absolutely need it? Nope but I find it extremely handy because I tinted the rear windows a bit darker on this car compared to my previous car so at night it's quite useful (the reverse lights light things up really well/camera works well at night).

A couple of times I've caught folks walking behind me as I'm backing up at night (the area just in front of my driveway isn't well lit at night so I can't understand why folks would want to jump into the path of a car they can see is reversing?? This happens so often at parking lots too)!

I'm not a parent yet, but I could see this being so helpful at putting one's mind at ease when reversing by removing that extra doubt of whether or not there's some toy or a neighbour's child running around where they shouldn't be.

As for the self-park, I usually do my own parallel parking but use the camera more (great to know just how much more you can "push it" without tapping any bumpers)!

I have used the self-park feature when I was in a crunch/running late and really needed to get into a spot that I would never have bothered to try in the past (because it was so tight that without a camera I would have most likely had to tap a bumper just to fit) - it was quite tight that some folks on the sidewalk stopped to watch because they thought I was nuts for trying to get the hatchback in that spot (they didn't know I had the self-park feature I should have rolled down the windows to let them see me doing it "look, no hands" style :) ). The Focus handled it like a champ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapprich View Post
Ok; so you have the back up camera and the parks itself option. Do you love it? I work at a rental car company and many of the Chrysler town and countries have back up cameras. They are neat. I can see a back up camera in my future. The self park.....I hardly ever parallel park.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:51 AM   #10
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Volt 2014, White Diamond

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernFocalPoint

I have used the self-park feature when I was in a crunch/running late and really needed to get into a spot that I would never have bothered to try in the past (because it was so tight that without a camera I would have most likely had to tap a bumper just to fit) - it was quite tight that some folks on the sidewalk stopped to watch because they thought I was nuts for trying to get the hatchback in that spot (they didn't know I had the self-park feature I should have rolled down the windows to let them see me doing it "look, no hands" style :) ). The Focus handled it like a champ!
+1 to this.
---replaced by---
Chevy Volt 2014, White Diamond, Luxury Package, S1, Navigation.

Bookmarks & Social Networks