starter will turn over, but car won't start - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-20-2008, 05:52 PM   #1
zal
Focus Addict

Fan#: 28635
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black LX

FF Reputation: 1 zal Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
starter will turn over, but car won't start

so i left work yesterday, and i get accross the street, and my car stalls out.
so i park it and try to re-start it but it won't start. i though it may just be the cold, but i don't think so cause i tried today and it wouldn't start.

i drive an 02 lx with the spi and ib5 transmission.

any ideas?

MacBook 2.0 Black
"The Focus looks kinda like a retarded shark with wheels"
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2008, 06:18 PM   #2
DFv2
WWTPD?

Fan#: 42684
What I Drive: 2008 Lightning Red STi

FF Reputation: 31 DFv2 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
you need compression spark and fuel. If it JUST started doing this id suspect one of two things. No fuel (dirty fuel filter, lines are frozen...if its dumb cold out) or too much fuel (you flooded it trying to start it. Crank it over a couple times. Then pull your plugs and smell them for fuel. If they stink of gasoline, pull the rest of them and let the gas evaporate from the cylinders.

In the zetec I know you can floor the throttle while cranking and it cuts fuel, which can help if youve flooded the cylinders from excessive cranking in the cold.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:09 PM   #3
DanielW
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 58023
What I Drive: 2001 silver zx3

FF Reputation: 1 DanielW Good Standing Member
I'm having this same problem. replaced the spark plugs and no dice. I can smell gas in there so i know its getting fuel. The only thing left that i can think of is the ignitioni coil. I replaced the old one with a used one from a member off here and it has been trouble free for 11k miles now. But I'm thinking this is the next thing in line right?
Old 03-29-2009, 11:47 PM   #4
BMARTIN03ZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 23931
What I Drive: 2004, Infra-red EAP SVT Turbo

FF Reputation: 2 BMARTIN03ZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Check to make sure you have spark and fuel. Check these first then let us know.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:50 PM   #5
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,933, Level 98
Points: 27,933, Level: 98 Points: 27,933, Level: 98 Points: 27,933, Level: 98
Level Up 59% Completed
Level up: 59% Level up: 59% Level up: 59%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFv2 View Post
you need compression spark and fuel.
Yes, we call those "The Big 3" and that's how you begin troubleshooting.
Compression:
If your engine seems like it's cranking over faster than it usually does, then you can go straight to the compression test. Go to a parts store and buy a compression tester. It's just a PSI gauge on a rubber tube with spark plug threads on the end, and an adapter to go to large threads, cost: $10 or so. Go back to your car, pull the connector out of the coil pack, pull a spark plug, and put the compression tester on that cylinder. Crank the engine, and check the tester. It should be over 100 psi. If it's lower, then you have a compression problem. If you have a busted timing belt, then you won't have compression on any cylinder. SPI's are known for dropping valve seats, so you might have compression on 3 cyls, and nothing on one.
Spark:
If it's not cranking over faster, then you're on to testing for spark. I ALWAYS use a timing light ($30, but you can rent) to check for spark instead of other redneck methods. You can remove a spark plug, plug it into the wire, and have a friend crank the engine while you hold the plug against the engine block. This got a friend of mine in trouble when he had a gasoline leak as well. You should be careful to have your hands clear and ungrounded as the spark will burn you. You should test both coil packs.
Fuel:
It's not even worth explaining how to test fuel pressure in a new Ford with a variable speed pump and no return line or FPR. The only thing you can do is listen for the fuel pump. When you turn the key from OFF to ON, you should hear a buzzing sound. That's the fuel pump. If it buzzes for more than 5 seconds it's near to going on the fritz. If you don't hear a buzz, you probably have no fuel pump. Before declaring a fuel pump dead, I always jump out the inertia switch. Extremely rarely, the inertia switch will fail, and that cuts the power to the fuel pump. Simply remove the connector, the switch is located in the passenger kick panel, and then use a paperclip or some wire to bridge the points on the connector- making sure it's not grounded anywhere. Then try starting the car.

You'll either figure out what the problem is yourself, or you'll have a lot of information to give us when you come back. We'll surely help you figure out what the information means if you don't. Be sure to write down your cylinder pressures, and also what the deposits on the plugs were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFv2 View Post
In the zetec I know you can floor the throttle while cranking and it cuts fuel, which can help if youve flooded the cylinders from excessive cranking in the cold.
All vehicles have this built into them. It mimics the same operation you'd perform on a carb vehicle that is flooded. To do it, turn the key OFF, floor the accel, and then turn the key to start without moving your foot. When the engine sputters, stop starting, then start the car without your foot on the accel.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:18 PM   #6
DanielW
Focus Enthusiast

well i can smell fuel so i don't think its that, I did replace about 10k miles ago, the ignition coil and I'm betting that since i replaced it with a used one that one has gone too. so i've ordered a new one and Am hopeful that this will solve the problem.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:39 PM   #7
DanielW
Focus Enthusiast

well shit its not the coil and not the plugs, so any ideas? fuel pump maybe? What could've been working perfectly until the car cut off and then just completely stopped? Is there a blown fuse i should check for maybe?
Old 04-02-2009, 11:48 AM   #8
DanielW
Focus Enthusiast

bump - help!!!
Old 04-02-2009, 06:12 PM   #9
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,933, Level 98
Points: 27,933, Level: 98 Points: 27,933, Level: 98 Points: 27,933, Level: 98
Level Up 59% Completed
Level up: 59% Level up: 59% Level up: 59%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Your experience with purchasing a coil that didn't help the engine start is EXACTLY why I tell people how to test things rather than suggest parts to replace.

You have spark, you have fuel, so your best bet is to go rent a compression tester or purchase one for yourself. It would've been cheaper than the coil, which is what you'd have spent your money on if you'd taken my advice and rented a timing light to test the spark.

A compression test will tell you if you have a bad timing belt or a blown piston. I'd guess the timing belt. If you want you can remove the timing belt inspection cover and see if there's a belt there. Pull on the belt to make sure it's still ok.

If you have a belt, then go get or rent a compression tester. If I were you, I'd also rent a timing light in case it's something really freaking crazy like a problem with the power wires going to the coil burnt on the EGR.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:54 AM   #10
lordryu
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 214905
What I Drive: 2002 ford focus gold

Points 4, Level 1
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1
Level Up 7% Completed
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 lordryu Good Standing Member
I'm having the same problem bought a new fuel pump new spark plugs. Flooded now everything yall have said iv done or replaced

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.