equipment list tell me what you think - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-15-2004, 12:19 AM   #1
GaRyMaN
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 841
What I Drive: 2003 Ford Focuz ZX3 PZEV

FF Reputation: 1 GaRyMaN Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
equipment list tell me what you think

Blauplkt Phoenix deck: HAVE
CDT Audio CL-61 componets: HAVE
CDT imaging 1" silk tweeder: On order
Tru technolgy T2.100 for componets: wish list
Audio Control FOUR.1i indash EQ: wish list
2x Infinity KAPPA PERFECT10.1D: undecided sugestions welcome...
also my uncle owns a sterio shop so i can get dealer price on what he carrys and a dame good price on what he has to order...
amp for sub undcided...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2004, 12:24 AM   #2
talonk4
Focus Addict

Fan#: 5737
What I Drive: 2k3 sangria red zx3

FF Reputation: 1 talonk4 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
i had an infinity kappa 12. they sounded really good, but i liked my audiobahn alum a lot more. it had a lot of hit, didn't give me any problems whatsoever until it decided to throw a wire on the second voice coil while in the box (which you can't notice until it's blown, i've found out). but otherwise, looks good. how's the blau decks? i haven't really been into them, but i heard they're ok.

Alpine, iPod, Infinity, Sony, FC, FS, FR, Pipercross

JMS lip kit
Old 10-15-2004, 12:37 AM   #3
GaRyMaN
Focus Enthusiast

for being a semi cheap deck with not very many options (one RCA at 2 volts) hence the EQ it sounds pretty damn good. i am pleasently surprized with the deck it really livend up my Comonets. im interested in the perfects because of price, my uncle carries them so i sound be easy to get them cheap. and i've heard there pretty well off in the SQL which is a plus.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:23 AM   #4
FocusInCali
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 7987
What I Drive: 01 SE Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 FocusInCali Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
If you can get a deal on the Infinity subs, go for it.
2 Perfect10.1D subs can be wired mono for a final 4 ohm load handling up to 700w. Or each wired parallel for a 2 ohm load each for stereo, handling up to 350w each.

I just got a deal on a TRU T4.100v2 amp for $600 (new $950). I plan to use one amp and bridge the rear channels for a single sealed sub. That will give me 300w at 4 ohm to drive a sub, which may be a Soundsplinter RLi-10 for SQ.

A used T2.100 will run you about $400, and that's just for your components. Then you'll need another amp for the subs.

If you want to save some money and get a single amp for your setup, then check out the Soundstream Van Gogh VGA500.4; it's $269 on eBay here http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

The VGA500.4 will give you 125w per channel for the components, and 500w bridged 4 ohm mono or 250w per rear channel stereo 2 ohm, for the subs. I was going to get this amp, but I said what the hell and got the TRU... at twice the money though. Your choice.

If you go with seperate amps, there are a number of amps to choose from since you are using two DVC subs. (each wired in series at 8 ohms, and then the two subs wired parallel for a final 4 ohm load) (parallel plus parallel would give you a 1 ohm load mono, which would require a competition 2 channel amp or a mono amp)

That was if you go mono with the two subs. If you want to go stereo, then you are looking at an amp that will do something around 350 x 2 RMS at 2 ohm.

If you want to keep it simple and get one amp, get the VGA500.4

You won't need the Four.1i (or similar) at first (or at all). You can use the one set of RCAs to drive the VGA500.4 amp and wire the rear channels to the subs mono for 500w or stereo for 250w per channel from the amp (subs wired parallel at 2 ohm each). Set the gains properly, then if you need to adjust the subs, turn "down" the rear gain if they are overpowering the front components.

Another amp with the same specs is the PPI Precision Power PCX-4125 for $349 on eBay here http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT
Old 10-15-2004, 09:48 AM   #5
GaRyMaN
Focus Enthusiast

thanks for the info yeah i wont need to EQ at first i know that i want a mp3 player and its nice to have that extra expanstion room. i thought the Perfects would be decent but please feel free to trow some other subwoofer sugestions out there i can get great deals on what he carries and good deals on what he needs to order. also do you think the T2.100 will be fine for the CL-61 with the imagine tweeder?
Old 10-15-2004, 12:07 PM   #6
FocusInCali
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by GaRyMaN
do you think the T2.100 will be fine for the CL-61 with the upstage tweeter?
Do bears like honey? That would be sweet. You might have to turn the gains down just a little bit, so you don't overpower them; but it'd be perfect (amp is true 100w RMS and CL-61 is 90w RMS). You can send it to TRU for a BurrBrown output device upgrade and they will re-benchcheck it afterwards. If you want this amp, post a WTB (want to buy) on ECA ( http://forum.elitecaraudio.com/forum....php?forumid=4 ) and somebody will answer who has one sitting around (most likely).

Quote:
i thought the Perfects would be decent but please feel free to throw some other subwoofer suggestions out there
1) Do you want loud or sound quality or both?
2) Do you want one or two subs?
3) What size do you prefer?
Old 10-15-2004, 02:20 PM   #7
GaRyMaN
Focus Enthusiast

Sound Quality is what im trying to get here, but at the same time it wouldn't hurt to have a sub that can add a little slap to to the music, thats a far second to sound quality tho. number of subs arnt important either a single 12 or 2/3 10's, i'ed like to have 10's but im open minded.
Also if it helps i listen to alot of Rock none of the pop rap stuff.
Old 10-16-2004, 12:35 AM   #8
FocusInCali
Focus Fanatic

Sounds like we are in the same direction. I'm still looking for my sub for SQ.

My research is finding:
Adire Audio Koda 10 (SVC 4 ohm)
OZ Audio Matrix Elite 10 (DVC, dual 2 or dual 4)
Image Dynamics IDQ10 (DVC, dual 2 or dual 4)
Soundsplinter RLi-10 (SVC or DVC, 4 ohm)
Hsu Research ASW-1203 (SVC 4 ohm, 12")
Dayton Titanic MKIII 10 (SVC 4 ohm)
Peerless XLS 10 (SVC 4 ohm)
Elemental Designs 11Kv.2 (DVC, dual 2 or dual 4) (also pkg. prices with amps)

Since I'm going with a single sealed 10" SQ sub off the rear channels bridged, I need a SVC 4 ohm sub.

This leaves me with Adire Koda 10 (300w RMS), Soundsplinter RLi-10 (300w RMS), Dayton MKIII 10 (400w RMS), or Peerless XLS 10 (200w RMS). And they range from $140 to $230.

I'm sure it'd be ok, but I'm gonna rule out the lower wattage XLS. So...

Koda 10 ($229) (possibly $150 on ECA)
RLi-10 ($154)
MKIII 10 ($139)

Depending on 'your' amp setup, you may go SVC or DVC. So the other subs are options.
BTW, I hear CDT subs are great, but require a lot of power to make 'em sing.
Old 10-16-2004, 02:16 PM   #9
GaRyMaN
Focus Enthusiast

yeah the CDT ones looked nice, but i'll wait and see what my uncle carries and what my limits are to what i can order. i know im getting a 12" kicker comp for free as temp base so that will be fine for now.
Old 10-16-2004, 03:40 PM   #10
FocusInCali
Focus Fanatic

I was told by a CDT dealer not to go with the CDT subs unless I had LOTS of Power to push them. That's why they are not on my list. If I was competing, then I would get an ES sub.

I posted an inquiry on ECA regarding the three subs. Supposedly the Koda is good, but doesn't handle over 250w very well. That's off the list now for me. But if someone pushed two of them with 400w, I'm sure it'd be great. Actually, for you....

You should get a TRU T4.65 amp instead of the 2.100. The 4.65 would be perfect for your setup. 65w per CL-61 with lots of transient headroom (amp dampening) and the rear channels bridged for 200w for a single sealed Koda 10. That would be a great sounding setup!!

You could run that free sub on it to see if you are happy with one sub, then get the Koda later. This would save you some money by getting one high-quality amp.

Last edited by FocusInCali; 10-16-2004 at 03:47 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks