Info about motor mounts - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-31-2011, 03:01 PM   #1
xxMichaelAnthony
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 58459
What I Drive: 2001 CD Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 20 xxMichaelAnthony Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Info about motor mounts

I've seen a lot of threads on here in the last few years about the passenger side motor mount blowing out, being replaced then blowing out a moth later. Almost all of the people say they have to push the motor around to get the new one in. I've also seen a lot of people saying the have to muscle their motor around to get the dog bone out and veteran members saying that muscling the motor around normal.

Well its not normal so I figured I would do a little write up/rant about all this shenanigans because I went thru the passenger side mount problem with my, my brothers, a friends and my cousins Focus.

If you have to push your motor around to line anything up while you're changing a motor mount you motor isn't lined up in your engine bay properly and its putting a bind on the motor mounts and thats why they keep blowing out.

Take the dog bone WITH its bracket out, loosen the passenger side mount at the body and loosen everything on the driver side mount. Jack the motor up and push it around a little bit until the holes on the mounts move freely around the bolts and studs so there is no bind. I had to move my brothers motor almost 2 inches. You may have to alternate between the oil pan and transmission with your jack. After you do that the dog bone mount and bracket should line right up with very little to no pushing around of the motor.

My driver and passenger mount are both DEA brand and they are still perfectly fine after a couple years. I have poly inserts in the dog bone. DEA probably the worst products I have ever seen.

For everyone who swears by the OEM passenger mount, what are you going to do when they discontinue it?

Last edited by xxMichaelAnthony; 02-04-2012 at 12:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2012, 12:14 AM   #2
focus202
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93264
What I Drive: 2001 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 focus202 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thanx for your post it will help me align the engine, cuz it always slides and is breaking the dogbone mount and always have to replace it. Now at least I know what is the problem so will be able to fix it right, thanx man.
Happy New Year!!!!!
Old 01-01-2012, 10:42 AM   #3
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 60 sailor Excellent Standing Member
I hear the rant....

Moving things around to get access for removal/installation is one thing, but once the pieces are in place everything should line up!

(or it's time to figure out why it doesn't...)
Old 01-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #4
pasta
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62350
What I Drive: 2003 eap svt

FF Reputation: 5 pasta Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (40)
thanks for info
Old 02-04-2012, 08:31 AM   #5
macdiesel
I used to drive this

Fan#: 31579
What I Drive: 2010 mazdaspeed3

FF Reputation: 21 macdiesel Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
When I do the passenger mount, I found marking the bracket helpful to realign. Good tips in the op.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:57 AM   #6
winterbeater
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93035
What I Drive: 2001 blue wagon

FF Reputation: 3 winterbeater Good Standing Member
Just did all three of my mounts. Tranny side first, then motor right, leaving bolts to body loose for free movement. Then dogbone. What a PITA. Bolt corroded into mount casting, which spun while turning bolt. Sawzall took care of that finally. Replaced dogbone, then slid motor trans around until roughly centered on fender holes and tightened bolts on tranny side. Same thing on right motor side to finish job.

Vibrations had made my air filter box shatter, so now I have to replace the one I duct taped back together (with a clean filter in it).
Old 02-06-2012, 12:45 PM   #7
Grinder
Banned

Fan#: 85627
What I Drive: 2003 CD silver SVT

FF Reputation: 10 Grinder Great Standing Member
Quote:

For everyone who swears by the OEM passenger mount, what are you going to do when they discontinue it?
I'd expect my OEMs to last another 8 years or so and by then there will be more than just the mounts discontinued. I'm cool with not finding certain OEM parts on a 16+ year old machine
Old 09-15-2012, 09:31 PM   #8
total_telecom
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83049
What I Drive: 2004 se wagon 2.0L

FF Reputation: 1 total_telecom Good Standing Member
IF thats your theory

I just did all three, had to muscle it a lil, the reason i saw was the car was in park on ramps.

you would have to wreck the car to bind mounts. I think many overlook the drivers side trans mount
Old 09-26-2012, 11:46 AM   #9
Dizle
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103998
What I Drive: 2006 Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Dizle Good Standing Member
I have minor vibrations in the cab at idle, like parts in the doors, behind the radio and dash just barely making noise. Could my motor mounts be going bad? It's got 75k on her, stock mounts. Motor runs perfect, I still need to replace the plugs/ wires, already cleaned the MAF sensor, oil change and it doesn't seem to be vibrating too much in the engine compartment. It wold just be nice not to hear little things rattling inside
Old 09-26-2012, 03:14 PM   #10
total_telecom
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83049
What I Drive: 2004 se wagon 2.0L

FF Reputation: 1 total_telecom Good Standing Member
By all means change the plugs and wires, I have seen Coil issues with some as well. For plugs i really like bosch+2 and the Motorcraft wires are dirt cheap at rockauto. Does your valve cover leak oil? theres a lage vacuum line on the rear of the motor that goes to the intake manifold they always go bad and compress, then you get too much positive pressure in the crankcase and get a valve cover gasket leak.

It can also be motor mounts, I did all 3 of mine!

Bookmarks & Social Networks