2012 Focus SE Hatchback Sport - Changing stock speakers - Page 14 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-09-2013, 07:19 AM   #131
Tiger-Heli
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12379
What I Drive: 2002 French Blue SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 4 Tiger-Heli Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Somewhat - Sync is a separate module.

So if you don't have the MFT system, there is a metra (or PAC) interface that retains SYNC (or the stock inteface might).

That said, I think the Metra dash kit and wiring adapter is around $250, the head unit needs to be single Din with a rear AUX port, and the SYNC audio comes through the rear AUX input, so you lose display of song title and artist, unless you use a cheesy LCD screen with it.

2) You can add a main amp and a subwoofer amp, or a 5-channel amp.
3a) - There are add-on's like the JL Cleansweep, or Rockford 3.sixty.three - not sure they are required, but they can help the sound (along with option 3, not by themselves)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #132
jcw122
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 111081
What I Drive: 2014 Race Red SE 201A Hatch - MTX

FF Reputation: 2 jcw122 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger-Heli View Post
Somewhat - Sync is a separate module.

So if you don't have the MFT system, there is a metra (or PAC) interface that retains SYNC (or the stock inteface might).

That said, I think the Metra dash kit and wiring adapter is around $250, the head unit needs to be single Din with a rear AUX port, and the SYNC audio comes through the rear AUX input, so you lose display of song title and artist, unless you use a cheesy LCD screen with it.

2) You can add a main amp and a subwoofer amp, or a 5-channel amp.
3a) - There are add-on's like the JL Cleansweep, or Rockford 3.sixty.three - not sure they are required, but they can help the sound (along with option 3, not by themselves)
So why do people chose to replace the headunit vs. using stock unit + JL Cleansweep,etc?
Old 07-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #133
Tiger-Heli
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw122 View Post
So why do people chose to replace the headunit vs. using stock unit + JL Cleansweep,etc?
EDIT: Was doing some research on the Fiesta and the OEM radio for it only supports 255 Folders and 255 files per folder. That's pretty common for a head unit, but it's a limiting factor for some people. I have one album (not necessarily full) per folder and I have more folders than that. My JVC KD-A815 supports less total files 20,000, but supports up to 2000 folders. (Granted - I could re-name my files and put 10 or 20 albums per folder, but then it is harder to browse by folder, ...

This won't win me any points on here, but the stock head unit is fairly boring/basic looking.

The Cleansweep is almost as much, if not more expensive, than many new head units, so IF you don't care about SYNC, and IF you can get past the cost of the Metra dash kit/harness, you might as well just start from scratch and replace the head unit, amps, speakers, etc. (You KNOW that can work and you aren't having to add a component to compensate for an EQ curve that you don't want the car to have to begin with).

What I wish Ford had done would be to leave the Driver Info center for warning messages and then have a standard Double-DIN radio for the MFT and a standard single DIN with a pocket for the base radio - build SYNC into the headunit and NOT tie it into the CANBUS.

But they'd rather sell you the MFT system for $1000 or $2000, so they didn't do that.

Last edited by Tiger-Heli; 07-10-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:49 PM   #134
ptbish
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 114734
What I Drive: 2013 Ruby Red Focus SE, HB

FF Reputation: 1 ptbish Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger-Heli View Post
Glad you got it sorted out.

Forgot - you can also do a "Battery Pop Test" to sort it out.

Connect a small battery (D-cell or 9V) to one wire and briefly touch it to the other speaker wire terminal. If the speaker cone moves outward, the plus battery terminal is connected to the plus wire. If it moves inward, the plus battery terminal is connected to the negative speaker wire.

Of course, this only works BEFORE you destroy the OEM speakers to mount the replacements.
That's precisely what i did! Great minds......
Old 07-09-2013, 10:02 PM   #135
redzone
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114512
What I Drive: 2013 Blue Candy Hatchback SE

FF Reputation: 1 redzone Good Standing Member
is it just me or do the buttons on the metra kit just look cheap!

thats my biggest reason id stick to the stock headunit.
Stock for now
Old 07-10-2013, 06:19 AM   #136
Tiger-Heli
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by redzone View Post
is it just me or do the buttons on the metra kit just look cheap!
It isn't just you - although I haven't seen the kit in person - only videos and pictures on the WWW.

Also - Metra kinda got screwed over here. They made a similar kit for the Ford Fiesta (which in 2011 had red interior lighting). All I can guess is they ASSuME'd the Focus would have red lighting also, so their Focus kit has red lighting instead of ice blue to match the car - and now the 2014 Fiesta will have ice-blue lighting, so their kit doesn't match it very well either.

What doesn't make much sense to me, though is that the Chinese knock-offs manage to match the lighting perfectly for a reasonable cost - see:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/free-...687721704.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-D...905089495.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-g...619426666.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale/...Type=price_asc

http://www.optimaforums.com/forum/23...s-install.html

All of which are viable options if you don't care about SYNC (or SIRIUS) ...

Last edited by Tiger-Heli; 07-10-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:29 PM   #137
redzone
Focus Enthusiast

would you not be able to keep non-mft sync if you used the adapter? assuming those head units have an aux in?
Stock for now
Old 07-10-2013, 02:17 PM   #138
Tiger-Heli
Focus Addict

Sure - sortof ...

Here's this way that works, though ...

First off, the adapters are $140-$150:
http://www.metraonline.com/part/AFSI-01
http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...?ProductId=919

Now:

If you have the factory system, as you probably know, you plug your USB stick in the center console, you say "USB - Play Track "Shooting Star", the system says "Playing track - "How You Are" ... and eventually you get it sorted out and the system starts playing and displays the song title and artist name (and with MFT, the album art).

If you have the adapter - you plug the USB stick in the center console, switch to the AUX input, and say "Play Track Shooting Star" and hopefully the song starts playing, but the AUX input is analog, so you don't get any song title or artist name unless you install a tacky external LCD screen. Or you can plug your USB stick into the adapter with the aftermarket head unit and you get full ID3 tag info and album art (and better sound quality), but you can't say "Play Track Shooting Star" and have anything happen.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:41 PM   #139
Tiger-Heli
Focus Addict

I have a related question - I tried asking one of the suppliers (was mainly wondering about the Fiesta, but I think the Focus would be the same setup):

The Metra dash kit retains the 4.3-inch display - I think b/c the display is also used for certain warning messages (on the Fiesta, one of them is ABS FAIL, TRANSMISSION MALFUNCTION, etc.)

The Chinese kits above clearly replace the 4.3-inch display with an 8-inch display.

Would you think the kits are tied into the CANBUS well enough that an ABS FAIL warning will be displayed on the 8-inch screen, or would you just never see these messages? Would it be a big deal not having the 4.3-inch screen if you weren't using it for the radio?

Thanks!!!
Old 07-10-2013, 05:16 PM   #140
redzone
Focus Enthusiast

the only reason i wouldnt mind keeping sync (and installing a android aliexpress thing) would be to keep the steering wheel controls.

not sure if that android headunit would do that.
Stock for now

Bookmarks & Social Networks