BMW to 2012 focus - Page 9 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-04-2012, 04:35 PM   #81
gkirk
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91903
What I Drive: 2012 C.Red Focus SE Sport Package

FF Reputation: 3 gkirk Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTFocusOnMe View Post
FAIL. BMW owners and their claims as the ultimate driving machine. LOL. I'll give you that any M car has crazy good numbers anyway you look at it untill you get to the MSRP. Unless you get an M car any new BMW has so many electronics that a monkey with half a brain could drive it. An ultimate driving machine should reward a good driver not limit them. My friend has a 2011 335 I've been in it not impressed at all. He can't even do a burnout with out finding a way to trick the computer. For the price of your 335 I'll take a new boss to spank you and a focus to save gas. And prob still have some money left over.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
I have been thinking about this a lot bc I'm finally selling my e39. The focus is certainly not as fun as that car, but it is quiet, solid, reasonably fast and gets 2x the gas mileage. It also costs 1/2 as much.

The fact that the two cars can even be compared is a huge huge win for ford.

I think there are two things keeping my focus down. FWD and the tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #82
safetyguy14
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86232
What I Drive: '12 Grey Metallic Focus Hb Ti

FF Reputation: 1 safetyguy14 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkirk View Post
I have been thinking about this a lot bc I'm finally selling my e39. The focus is certainly not as fun as that car, but it is quiet, solid, reasonably fast and gets 2x the gas mileage. It also costs 1/2 as much.

The fact that the two cars can even be compared is a huge huge win for ford.

I think there are two things keeping my focus down. FWD and the tires.
get the handling package, it has some of the best tires made.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:50 PM   #83
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

Points 1,277, Level 19
Points: 1,277, Level: 19 Points: 1,277, Level: 19 Points: 1,277, Level: 19
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTFocusOnMe View Post
An ultimate driving machine should reward a good driver not limit them. My friend has a 2011 335 I've been in it not impressed at all. He can't even do a burnout with out finding a way to trick the computer.
I'm curious. This friend of yours that wants to do burnouts in his 335--do you consider him one of the "good drivers" that is being limited, or a "monkey with half a brain" as you put it?
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:50 PM   #84
Phoenix335
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92175
What I Drive: 2012 RCM FF Ti ,2007 black 335i

FF Reputation: 1 Phoenix335 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by safetyguy14 View Post
get the handling package, it has some of the best tires made.
This is true the PS3 are a good tire, however it still doesn't handle that well.

I have a 335 and my wife has a focus. The 335 you giggle like a 6th grade school girl every time I drive it...it's that much fun. There is no comparison between the performance/handling between the two. However, the focus has all the "luxury" features that the BMW has and I love to drive it. The fuel economy and performance is amazing for what you pay. I bought the BMW CPO with low mileage (two years old with 15K) and it was only slightly more expensive than the Focus. They are both great cars that I would buy again and I wish my wife could drive a stick and we would have held out for the ST...this discussion will be different once that comes out.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #85
DAC17
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85128
What I Drive: 2012 Tricoat Yellow Blaze SE

FF Reputation: 1 DAC17 Good Standing Member
As you can see below, I have a 2012 SE and a 2012 135i. To be fair, they are two different cars, especially with respect to the front-wheel/rear-wheel drive feeling. Having said that, the Focus drives just about as well as my 2010 Mazda 3, and that is pretty high praise for a small, inexpensive car. The 135i is really a different class; faster, quicker, very firm ride and great handling. I agree with the last poster about the fact that you can ask the question with a straight face says a lot about what Ford did with this car.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:47 PM   #86
unclebrud
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85754
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus S (Ingot Silver)

FF Reputation: 1 unclebrud Good Standing Member
The 1-series is a great car (I've driven the 128i/135i, but no 1M, sadly) and is head and shoulders above the Focus (cost excluded). Would love to own one....

To me, the Focus has a different feel than the Mazda3 (I have an '07S)...not quite as nimble and the motor has less punch. But, it is still a very good car in the segment it is in...I suppose it's unfair to compare a base Focus to a Mazda3 with the 2.3 (though they have similar rated power) -the upper trims are probably much more competitive. In any case, it's the Golden Age for economy car buyers...
Old 04-05-2012, 08:29 PM   #87
ongnoi
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97330
What I Drive: 2008 VW .:R32 2008 BMW //M Coupe

FF Reputation: 1 ongnoi Good Standing Member
Having just assisted my mom with buying a Hatchback SEL, I'm on here to read up on things for when she needs help with her new car. This thread piqued my interest.

What I found interesting is that there's no mention of VW/Audi, the Golf platform in particular. That seems to be more of an appropriate comparison. I saw one of the promotional videos by Ford and the chief engineer touched on how his team used the Audi A3 as a benchmark for development. It makes a lot of sense now that I've driven the 2012 Focus.

Great exterior design: I personally think the hatchback has better proportion than the sedan and it wouldn't surprise me if the first draft of this Focus was a HB.

Nice interior materials: Most would agree that Audi is among the top when it comes to interior design and materials. I'm impressed with how nice things are to the touch for a car in this segment. Ford has certainly one-upped the Japanese competition this go-round and offered better value than the German.

Good driving dynamics: for a FWD vehicle @ 3,000 lbs, the Focus handles very well. I drove a SEL HB back to back with my R32 (which is mostly FWD with its Haldex AWD system) and really amazed at how good the Focus is. I was saying to myself "this car handles more like a VW than the new Jetta that I drove a few months back!"

Overall, this new Focus is a great package and I would have bought one if I didn't need an AWD commuter.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:49 PM   #88
Uptcv1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88390
What I Drive: 2012 sonic blue SE sport DCT hatch

Points 2,472, Level 30
Points: 2,472, Level: 30 Points: 2,472, Level: 30 Points: 2,472, Level: 30
Level Up 15% Completed
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Uptcv1 Good Standing Member
OP here, bringing this back to surface to update..

In short, no… not a good move from BMW to focus… for the first 5k miles I would say yes it was! and I was actually making fun of my wife driving the $45k 3 series averaging 18mpg vs my $18k focus averaging 32mpg as both felt equally solid on the road…

But it is the Ford culture/attitude and lack of resolve that steps in fast to land you back to reality… after the first 5k miles the issues started.. A/C.. front-end clunks, highway vibrations… numerous dealer visits… phone calls with corporate.. and ultimately no true resolution other than “normal characteristic”… it is just too much of a frustration.. and here is perhaps the single largest difference- it just wouldn’t take this much effort with BMW and it would yield results (I know there is a price segment difference but then again one can get a CPO BMW for about the same as a new focus)
Old 06-07-2013, 01:11 PM   #89
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict

Fan#: 111167
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Lemon

Points 2,278, Level 28
Points: 2,278, Level: 28 Points: 2,278, Level: 28 Points: 2,278, Level: 28
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 0 Tubeway Army Newbie
"Normal" is the buzz word with Ford. It's their parlay to get out of making things right.

I could have bought a used 3 series for the same amount of money my Focus will end up costing me.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using FF Mobile
Old 06-07-2013, 01:43 PM   #90
Borski
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100013
What I Drive: 2012 Focus - Black - SE

Points 1,260, Level 19
Points: 1,260, Level: 19 Points: 1,260, Level: 19 Points: 1,260, Level: 19
Level Up 60% Completed
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Borski Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptcv1 View Post
OP here, bringing this back to surface to update..

In short, no… not a good move from BMW to focus… for the first 5k miles I would say yes it was! and I was actually making fun of my wife driving the $45k 3 series averaging 18mpg vs my $18k focus averaging 32mpg as both felt equally solid on the road…

But it is the Ford culture/attitude and lack of resolve that steps in fast to land you back to reality… after the first 5k miles the issues started.. A/C.. front-end clunks, highway vibrations… numerous dealer visits… phone calls with corporate.. and ultimately no true resolution other than “normal characteristic”… it is just too much of a frustration.. and here is perhaps the single largest difference- it just wouldn’t take this much effort with BMW and it would yield results (I know there is a price segment difference but then again one can get a CPO BMW for about the same as a new focus)
I've seen alot of people on this forum saying that they have tons of problems with their Focus and I've never had any of these problems (clunking, vibes, A/C) and I AutoX the crap out of my car and drive it 24k mi a year.

The one problem I did have was when my buddy broke the driver seat by literally jumping into the car, Ford replaced it under warranty with absolutely NO probelms.

Bookmarks & Social Networks