BMW to 2012 focus - Page 6 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-26-2012, 01:28 AM   #51
cantos
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94295
What I Drive: bmw e46

FF Reputation: 1 cantos Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
i own a 2005 bmw e46 and have over 180,000 kms on it.

i recently rented the 2012 ford focus and was ASTOUNDED by how good it drove. i couldn't believe the driving dynamics matched my bmw. the focus is very smooth on the highway, i had great vision on all sides of the vehicle, and i felt safe throughout.

in fact i was so amazed, the reason why i found this thread and joined the forum is because i was wondering if it was just me or if others feel the same way. glad to see others agree.

the 2012 focus is incredible for the money. sure, it's got a smaller engine than a beemer and it doesn't have the v6 inline smoothness -- but it is much better on gas and is still smooth enough. and of course there's a fundamental difference between rear and front wheel drive. that said, it wasn't a huge detractor.

having driven the newer beemers i would say the focus is better. the new 3 and 5 series beemers are not as tight and are more boaty. The 2012 focus compares well with my 2005 beemer and with the current 1-series.

the only reason i'm sticking with my beemer is because i'm in a position where i have to be seen in a luxury car. if ford packaged the focus car in a luxury set-up, i'd buy it pronto.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2012, 01:45 AM   #52
DarinS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88257
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium hatch, BMW E30 335iC

FF Reputation: 1 DarinS Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantos View Post
i own a 2005 bmw e46 and have over 180,000 kms on it.

i recently rented the 2012 ford focus and was ASTOUNDED by how good it drove. i couldn't believe the driving dynamics matched my bmw. the focus is very smooth on the highway, i had great vision on all sides of the vehicle, and i felt safe throughout.

in fact i was so amazed, the reason why i found this thread and joined the forum is because i was wondering if it was just me or if others feel the same way. glad to see others agree.

the 2012 focus is incredible for the money. sure, it's got a smaller engine than a beemer and it doesn't have the v6 inline smoothness -- but it is much better on gas and is still smooth enough. and of course there's a fundamental difference between rear and front wheel drive. that said, it wasn't a huge detractor.

having driven the newer beemers i would say the focus is better. the new 3 and 5 series beemers are not as tight and are more boaty. The 2012 focus compares well with my 2005 beemer and with the current 1-series.

the only reason i'm sticking with my beemer is because i'm in a position where i have to be seen in a luxury car. if ford packaged the focus car in a luxury set-up, i'd buy it pronto.
I'd argue that a Focus in Titanium trim with the premium package exceeds the level of "luxury" you get in any e46 short of an M3. The e90 and new F15 however are superior to the Focus IMO, but then again they cost twice as much or more.

Also, BMW doesn't make any V6 engines
Old 01-26-2012, 10:49 AM   #53
prm1177
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91407
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 prm1177 Good Standing Member
Remember BMW started in the US with 4 cylinder cars and still sells them in Europe. The modern Focus Duratec is the equal of those engines. It think the biggest difference is the FWD vs RWD, so a small driving dynamic difference is present. That said, I go between my Focus and a Porsche on a regular basis and don't feel any regrets when I return to the Ford.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #54
st falcon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92343
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy HATCH SEL

FF Reputation: 3 st falcon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantos View Post

You may just be interested in the 2013 Fusion. It has ALL the looks and tech of a luxury car. I think that if you got an SEL with the SEL Premium Package, maybe lightly tint the window to solidify thr look of the exterior, keep it clean and viola! But the size of the car is not indicative of "luxury" to many people, so again, check out the new Fusion. Looks more cohesive, agressive, and luxurious than any BMW I have seen on the road in a long time. At least before Chris Bangle mangled them!

1996 Bronco XLT 351W
Cant wait for Summer when I pop the top!!
Old 01-26-2012, 02:21 PM   #55
knappj69
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94285
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 knappj69 Good Standing Member
I traded in my 2009 BMW 328I (fully loaded) over a week ago and purchased a 2012 Titanium (fully loaded) and love it. The Focus has a better ride, less wind noise in the cabin, and is funner to drive. Lets not forget the cost to upkeep a BMW. I am 100% satisfied with my purchase and I have not looked back.

Glad I found this forum as there is great information from all of you.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:28 PM   #56
st falcon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92343
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy HATCH SEL

FF Reputation: 3 st falcon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by knappj69 View Post
I traded in my 2009 BMW 328I (fully loaded) over a week ago and purchased a 2012 Titanium (fully loaded) and love it. The Focus has a better ride, less wind noise in the cabin, and is funner to drive. Lets not forget the cost to upkeep a BMW. I am 100% satisfied with my purchase and I have not looked back.

Glad I found this forum as there is great information from all of you.
Welcome to FF! Not too fond of $100 oil changes? You'll like the 39.95 "works" service package. Its the standard oil change, top off fluids etc...BUT you also get a multi point inspection. They found that I had a missing plastic connector on one of the air dams around the front wheels, ran over to the dealer parts desk, and replaced it. Also, the works include tire rotation. It all took about 35 minutes.

Welcome aboard.

1996 Bronco XLT 351W
Cant wait for Summer when I pop the top!!
Old 01-26-2012, 02:48 PM   #57
knappj69
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94285
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 knappj69 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by st falcon View Post
Welcome to FF! Not too fond of $100 oil changes? You'll like the 39.95 "works" service package. Its the standard oil change, top off fluids etc...BUT you also get a multi point inspection. They found that I had a missing plastic connector on one of the air dams around the front wheels, ran over to the dealer parts desk, and replaced it. Also, the works include tire rotation. It all took about 35 minutes.

Welcome aboard.
My days of paying over $100+ for an oil change are over. Not to mention $450 per tires for run flats. I saw the Focus commercial on TV and went straight to the dealer.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:32 PM   #58
Royal Tee
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10037
What I Drive: Black Loaded Titanium & 2k1 SE

Points 514, Level 10
Points: 514, Level: 10 Points: 514, Level: 10 Points: 514, Level: 10
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Royal Tee Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by knappj69 View Post
My days of paying over $100+ for an oil change are over. Not to mention $450 per tires for run flats. I saw the Focus commercial on TV and went straight to the dealer.
Congrats on your purchase and the tackling of your pride & ego.

Do you know how mocked you would be if your blue oval showed up at a BMW meet & greet?

Now here we all love our Foci but it's a cruel world out there...or should I say up there?

But, i'm right there w/you. Love my loaded TiFo/FoTi and to hell w/ the badges!
Old 01-26-2012, 06:26 PM   #59
DarinS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88257
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium hatch, BMW E30 335iC

FF Reputation: 1 DarinS Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tee View Post
Congrats on your purchase and the tackling of your pride & ego.

Do you know how mocked you would be if your blue oval showed up at a BMW meet & greet?

Now here we all love our Foci but it's a cruel world out there...or should I say up there?

But, i'm right there w/you. Love my loaded TiFo/FoTi and to hell w/ the badges!
Funny how there are so many ex (or current) BMW guys in here praising the TiFo! I love mine for sure, hands down.

I did actually take it to my local BMW dealer on a parts run and parked it right in front of the main entrance, backed in and well presented :) Even some of my buddies that still work there were shocked, "THAT THING is a Focus?!?! I had no idea they looked that good!"

Maybe this summer I'll drive it to one of the BMW meets instead of my convertible
Old 01-26-2012, 06:42 PM   #60
foxx26
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94126
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Bue SE

FF Reputation: 1 foxx26 Good Standing Member
I too had my share of BMW's. The latest a 335I. Going from that to a Focus doesn't seem like a downgrade to me. I can't see myself spending 45K+ on a car when I can have this amazing car for less than half. I actually feel smarter and a little more mature. Very happy with my focus .

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.