BMW to 2012 focus - Page 5 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-10-2012, 11:48 PM   #41
halfmoonclip
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87235
What I Drive: '12 Ingot Silver SEL

FF Reputation: 1 halfmoonclip Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
•Dual Output shafts with two separate final drive ratios...
s
Okay, we're talking semantics here. The two output shafts may produce two different final drive ratios, but not in the traditional sense of an overdrive or two speed rear end. Enough crazy stuff happens in a modern transaxle that it is a wonder the power finds its way out at all...
Moon
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2012, 07:18 AM   #42
lscrx
Focus Addict

Fan#: 41668
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE hatch 5mt

FF Reputation: 2 lscrx Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
Enough crazy stuff happens in a modern transaxle that it is a wonder the power finds its way out at all...
Moon
That made me LOL.

Posted via FF Mobile
Old 01-11-2012, 08:31 AM   #43
mysticbluebmw
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85252
What I Drive: 2013 Accord EX-L V6 w/Navi

FF Reputation: 1 mysticbluebmw Good Standing Member
Late to the thread, but I can say this: The Focus is no BMW nor should it be classified as being in BMW territory. It is a much less expensive car, and it drives and feels as such. That said, in it's own class it is a great little car with some quality control issues as others have already stated.

After having owned several BMWs with my current being an '08 535i (previously 2003 325i, 1999 528i), I wanted a less expensive but still 'nice' daily driver. The new Focus Ti fits the bill nicely. However, when I get back into the 5, whoa, it's a whole different experience entirely.

Before buying the Focus, I had become used the the handling characteristics of the 5, and thought the little Focus, with all it's hype, would have that flat go-cart like handling I wanted in a small car. It really doesn't and it fact the much larger 5 is more flat and much smoother, and recovers much quicker in the turns. I do have the sports package and active steering in the 5 and that does make a difference compared to a standard 5, though. While the 5 is quieter (sings when you push it), the Focus does feel like you're more part of the road, but the engine and tranny are no where near as smooth. The transmission on the Focus seems to take at least a second to manually change gears with that rocker switch, and at parking lot speeds is a little clunky, but not too bad. In contrast the sport auto transmission in the 5 is lightning quick, with paddle shifts taking no more than maybe 1/10 of second. Again, my point is that it is night and day between the two cars' driving dynamics. I've had recent base 328i loaners, and they handle far superior to the focus as well.

But, that is how it should be, the BMW was 2 1/2 times the price. One should not expect it to be in the same driving class. The Focus is still a great little car with good driving dynamics, but again, for it's own class.

Laguna Seca Pedals
Old 01-11-2012, 08:50 AM   #44
Rogerschro
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90661
What I Drive: '12 FFE Frosted Glass

Points 876, Level 15
Points: 876, Level: 15 Points: 876, Level: 15 Points: 876, Level: 15
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 3 Rogerschro Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticbluebmw View Post
Late to the thread, but I can say this: The Focus is no BMW nor should it be classified as being in BMW territory. It is a much less expensive car, and it drives and feels as such. That said, in it's own class it is a great little car with some quality control issues as others have already stated.

After having owned several BMWs with my current being an '08 535i (previously 2003 325i, 1999 528i), I wanted a less expensive but still 'nice' daily driver. The new Focus Ti fits the bill nicely. However, when I get back into the 5, whoa, it's a whole different experience entirely.

Before buying the Focus, I had become used the the handling characteristics of the 5, and thought the little Focus, with all it's hype, would have that flat go-cart like handling I wanted in a small car. It really doesn't and it fact the much larger 5 is more flat and much smoother, and recovers much quicker in the turns. I do have the sports package and active steering in the 5 and that does make a difference compared to a standard 5, though. While the 5 is quieter (sings when you push it), the Focus does feel like you're more part of the road, but the engine and tranny are no where near as smooth. The transmission on the Focus seems to take at least a second to manually change gears with that rocker switch, and at parking lot speeds is a little clunky, but not too bad. In contrast the sport auto transmission in the 5 is lightning quick, with paddle shifts taking no more than maybe 1/10 of second. Again, my point is that it is night and day between the two cars' driving dynamics. I've had recent base 328i loaners, and they handle far superior to the focus as well.

But, that is how it should be, the BMW was 2 1/2 times the price. One should not expect it to be in the same driving class. The Focus is still a great little car with good driving dynamics, but again, for it's own class.
HHAHA I hear ya! The Focus is a great little car for its class and better than I thought it could be for the cost. It is no BMW. I didn't buy a BMW, I bought a Ford. If Ford built it like so many seem to think they SHOULD have it would cost the same as a BMW, $40+ and they would be screaming for that money I would buy a BMW! can't win it seems. Didn't BMW try to sell a cheaper version a few years ago? That was a flop, no one wants a cheap BMW.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:04 AM   #45
cyberf
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 86862
What I Drive: 2007, grey HB. Duratec 2.0

FF Reputation: 1 cyberf Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticbluebmw View Post

I think the BMW 5 and the focus are not comparable , not the same class (specilly a BMW 5 with sports package-active steering) and focus is not a premium car, it is a generalist one.
Nevertheles, automagazines have compare some features betwen the focus and the BMW 1 and Audi A3 (same segment -compact car- but premiun ones)

Examples:

1)http://uk.autoblog.com/2011/12/21/fo...ong-term-test/

"Anyway, enough of the convenience features - what of the driving experience? One of our trips was to drive the new BMW 116d in the Sussex lanes around Goodwood. Despite the rear-drive configuration and the BMW badge, the Focus was actually more fun to hustle along winding roads.

We thought the BMW had nicer steering, and no doubt, the more sporting set up of the larger 1 Series cars would have turned the tables, but we were nevertheless surprised that the super-refined Focus could out-handle the base 1 Series."

2)http://uygarr.blogspot.com/2011/05/f...-a3-vol-2.html
Old 01-11-2012, 10:47 AM   #46
herbz
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84909
What I Drive: 2012 SE Hatch 5MT Sterling Grey

Points 7,800, Level 59
Points: 7,800, Level: 59 Points: 7,800, Level: 59 Points: 7,800, Level: 59
Level Up 25% Completed
Level up: 25% Level up: 25% Level up: 25%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 herbz Good Standing Member
I think the 128 and 2012 Focus is a good comparison, actually. 128i pulls a .84 on the skidpad while again, the Focus is at .91. The Focus can corner harder despite the fact that it's FWD. It's also lighter than the 128. The 128 probably has a more taut suspension due to the better damping, so it will feel nicer/more refined driving on the street and hitting bumps, but as far as outright handling ability the Focus wins there.

I think mysticbluebmw has more complains about powershift than about the actual handling of the Focus. perhaps the powershift's slow shifts in his case are hindering his ability to downshift into/power out of turns. I personally drive the 5 speed manual which I find to be just as fun as the BMW sticks I've driven. In fact, I think it's a getrag which is the same manufacturer that does BMW sticks.

The 128i definetely wins in the engine category, we all know that buttery smooth inline 6 is a joy to drive. It's also more than a second quicker to 60 than the Focus. But the Focus has the advantage over the 128 in the gas mileage category.

The 128 starts at over 10 grand more than the Focus, I believe. For that, you're getting RWD, a more refined ride, a more powerful engine, and a 6th gear. I actually don't think the interior or exterior is nicer on the 1 series than on the Focus. I still haven't gotten over the front end of the 1 series and any new BMW. Headlights are too pointed and slanty. As far as interior, I honestly like the Foucus' better. BMW interiors have been going downhill since the e46. Too much cheap feeling plastic for a >30k car. The Focus might have cheap plastic as well, but it's in a different segment. And although MFT sucks, you gotta admit a Focus with the MFT interior looks awesome.

All in all, I think it's a pretty fair comparison. Both cars have their pros and cons. But I think if Ford decided to put an extra 10 grand into the Focus (read: ST) then we'll have a real comparison. I think the ST would downright win in a comparison against the 128.

On the topic of BMW, I just can' t believe how they've styled these cars. I think it's atrocious and I could never see myself in one of these.

New 3 series

New 1 series

BMW's used to look mean and menacing. Now they look like dinosaurs with down syndrome, imo.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #47
unclebrud
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85754
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus S (Ingot Silver)

FF Reputation: 1 unclebrud Good Standing Member
We might wish our Foci were as good as BMW's, but this comparison is a real stretch. The Focus holds up well, but, really, it is not (nor does it cost like) a BMW. To me, Golf vs. Focus makes more sense.

I drove a 135i Cabrio that was fantastic...great steering feel, drivetrain. The whole car felt 'right'. BMW's may be expensive, but there is real substance there.

The new 1 is fairly ugly, but the new 3 is right on the mark. Saving me pennies...
Old 01-16-2012, 12:04 AM   #48
FF4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33566
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 0 FF4 Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberf View Post
I think the BMW 5 and the focus are not comparable , not the same class (specilly a BMW 5 with sports package-active steering) and focus is not a premium car, it is a generalist one.
Nevertheles, automagazines have compare some features betwen the focus and the BMW 1 and Audi A3 (same segment -compact car- but premiun ones)

Examples:

1)http://uk.autoblog.com/2011/12/21/fo...ong-term-test/

"Anyway, enough of the convenience features - what of the driving experience? One of our trips was to drive the new BMW 116d in the Sussex lanes around Goodwood. Despite the rear-drive configuration and the BMW badge, the Focus was actually more fun to hustle along winding roads.

We thought the BMW had nicer steering, and no doubt, the more sporting set up of the larger 1 Series cars would have turned the tables, but we were nevertheless surprised that the super-refined Focus could out-handle the base 1 Series."

2)http://uygarr.blogspot.com/2011/05/f...-a3-vol-2.html

since the regular Focus handles as well as it does, I can't wait to see how the ST does. I would think the auto mags should have some ST reviews soon.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:59 AM   #49
gkirk
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91903
What I Drive: 2012 C.Red Focus SE Sport Package

FF Reputation: 3 gkirk Good Standing Member
I went from an e39 1999 528i to my new focus. The BMW is a bit quieter at high speeds and overall has a more solid feeling. It was also almost $50k when new. The focus handles almost as well (as others have said, it has no RWD, so it won't ever be quite as much fun).

But holy crap, for the money, the fuel economy and the fun of the thing, the focus 2012 is a really great car. At some point, cars run out of room to improve handling if you are driving less than 100mph. Ford has made a huge leap with this car.

Last edited by gkirk; 01-16-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:03 PM   #50
gkirk
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91903
What I Drive: 2012 C.Red Focus SE Sport Package

FF Reputation: 3 gkirk Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbz View Post
I think the 128 and 2012 Focus is a good comparison, actually. 128i pulls a .84 on the skidpad while again, the Focus is at .91. The Focus can corner harder despite the fact that it's FWD. It's also lighter than the 128. The 128 probably has a more taut suspension due to the better damping, so it will feel nicer/more refined driving on the street and hitting bumps, but as far as outright handling ability the Focus wins there.

I think mysticbluebmw has more complains about powershift than about the actual handling of the Focus. perhaps the powershift's slow shifts in his case are hindering his ability to downshift into/power out of turns. I personally drive the 5 speed manual which I find to be just as fun as the BMW sticks I've driven. In fact, I think it's a getrag which is the same manufacturer that does BMW sticks.

The 128i definetely wins in the engine category, we all know that buttery smooth inline 6 is a joy to drive. It's also more than a second quicker to 60 than the Focus. But the Focus has the advantage over the 128 in the gas mileage category.

The 128 starts at over 10 grand more than the Focus, I believe. For that, you're getting RWD, a more refined ride, a more powerful engine, and a 6th gear. I actually don't think the interior or exterior is nicer on the 1 series than on the Focus. I still haven't gotten over the front end of the 1 series and any new BMW. Headlights are too pointed and slanty. As far as interior, I honestly like the Foucus' better. BMW interiors have been going downhill since the e46. Too much cheap feeling plastic for a >30k car. The Focus might have cheap plastic as well, but it's in a different segment. And although MFT sucks, you gotta admit a Focus with the MFT interior looks awesome.

All in all, I think it's a pretty fair comparison. Both cars have their pros and cons. But I think if Ford decided to put an extra 10 grand into the Focus (read: ST) then we'll have a real comparison. I think the ST would downright win in a comparison against the 128.

On the topic of BMW, I just can' t believe how they've styled these cars. I think it's atrocious and I could never see myself in one of these.

New 3 series

New 1 series

BMW's used to look mean and menacing. Now they look like dinosaurs with down syndrome, imo.
I still haven't been able to sell my 1999 528i. It is such a beautiful car. I told me girlfriend that 100 years from now people will have those as collectors items. They represent a pinnacle of car design. I like the older bmws too, but anything after say 2003 just looks like it got beaten with an ugly stick.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.