BMW to 2012 focus - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-04-2012, 02:00 PM   #21
dasilvarsa
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89551
What I Drive: 2012 2.0 Gdi Trend

FF Reputation: 2 dasilvarsa Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by st falcon View Post
Interesting! I have not worked with a dual final drive trans before, so your insights are very helpful. With the two final drive ratios the auto might feel as quick, but I guarantee the manual will out accelerate the auto in a dual clutch application such as this one. If you have tried to launch the DCT you know what i mean.

I wish someone would re-program (tune) the DCT to react better to throttle input, as it seems to react to vehicle speed quite well...hopefully its physical limitations wont limit it to being rubbery and clunky at the same time...I only notice that at low speed and under hard acceleration.

Great replys guys...finally some real posts...
And there is the fact that the Manual can do 60 mph in second gear.
By entering the red line area so slightly of course.
Various test have shown the manual to be .8 seconds faster than the auto 0 to 60 mph. (which is not much !)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2012, 03:17 PM   #22
st falcon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92343
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy HATCH SEL

FF Reputation: 3 st falcon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasilvarsa View Post
And there is the fact that the Manual can do 60 mph in second gear.
By entering the red line area so slightly of course.
Various test have shown the manual to be .8 seconds faster than the auto 0 to 60 mph. (which is not much !)
.8 seconds is about a car length at 60!

1996 Bronco XLT 351W
Cant wait for Summer when I pop the top!!
Old 01-04-2012, 05:57 PM   #23
DarinS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88257
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium hatch, BMW E30 335iC

FF Reputation: 1 DarinS Good Standing Member
Anyways, back on topic...

OP, I was a BMW owner (still am) before this purchase. In fact, aside from their '91 Toyota Previa my parents let me drive in high school (the Ferrari of minivans!) I've owned nothing but BMWs. Previous rides include,

'88 325iS
'88 528e w/m20b25
'91 525iA (traded for Focus)
'92 325iC w/m30b35 (still own)

Compared to the old 5er the Focus handle like a freakin' F1 car. The steering may have just a hair less feedback but in every other way it trounces the old BMW. Not that it's hard for a brand new 'sporty' car to outperform a 20 year old slushbox-luxobarge, but you get the point...

The biggest selling point to me on the Focus was the premium feel of the car, both in the cabin and the ride/handling quality. Coming from what was, at the time it was new a $50K car, the Focus is every bit as refined and comfortable but also far more capable.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #24
Dick W
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91695
What I Drive: 2012 5dr SGM Ti/09 135i/07 CR-V

FF Reputation: 2 Dick W Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by st falcon View Post
.8 seconds is about a car length at 60!
And eeking that 0.8 seconds requires a very good launch and shifting performance on the part of the driver. (Remember the TopGear episode where The Stig wins in either car simply because he's better at it.) For ever case where a manual driven flawlesly beats the automatic, a manual driven on a more or less average day by a more or less average driver will get trounced by the automatic.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #25
st falcon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92343
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy HATCH SEL

FF Reputation: 3 st falcon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick W View Post
And eeking that 0.8 seconds requires a very good launch and shifting performance on the part of the driver. (Remember the TopGear episode where The Stig wins in either car simply because he's better at it.) For ever case where a manual driven flawlesly beats the automatic, a manual driven on a more or less average day by a more or less average driver will get trounced by the automatic.
I am certain he would have lost in the Focus with the DCT unless there is a good way to load up RPMs and letting the computer "dump" (if it will) the clutch(es)...

Anybody find a good way to launch the DCT??

1996 Bronco XLT 351W
Cant wait for Summer when I pop the top!!
Old 01-04-2012, 10:00 PM   #26
FF4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33566
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 0 FF4 Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinS View Post
Anyways, back on topic...

OP, I was a BMW owner (still am) before this purchase. In fact, aside from their '91 Toyota Previa my parents let me drive in high school (the Ferrari of minivans!) I've owned nothing but BMWs. Previous rides include,

'88 325iS
'88 528e w/m20b25
'91 525iA (traded for Focus)
'92 325iC w/m30b35 (still own)

Compared to the old 5er the Focus handle like a freakin' F1 car. The steering may have just a hair less feedback but in every other way it trounces the old BMW. Not that it's hard for a brand new 'sporty' car to outperform a 20 year old slushbox-luxobarge, but you get the point...

The biggest selling point to me on the Focus was the premium feel of the car, both in the cabin and the ride/handling quality. Coming from what was, at the time it was new a $50K car, the Focus is every bit as refined and comfortable but also far more capable.

Agreed. The fact that the long term review and owners mention how well the Focus compares with BMWs says a lot about the goodness of the Focus. Can't wait to see how the ST compares.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:02 PM   #27
halfmoonclip
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87235
What I Drive: '12 Ingot Silver SEL

FF Reputation: 1 halfmoonclip Good Standing Member
Our 'other' car is an '09 Audi A4; one of the things we liked about the Focus was handling that reminded us of the Audi.
My wife is a convert from a lifetime of Detroit Iron, and we've had a VW Passat and now the A4, and the difference in handling has made her a true believer. I was always an import guy, with a couple Sciroccos and a CRX Si in my history.

When we were test hopping the Focus (and some other contenders), they all got a run thru' a curvy piece of road; the Ford felt good and it felt German.

Ours is the DSG, and guys, and the automated manual has dual clutches. I've never heard anyone else claim that it had more than one final drive in the powertrain, so I'm a little perplexed by the talk of 'dual final drive'. One clutch or the other is always engaged if the car is moving, but the power goes to a single ring and pinon in the transaxle. I remember the old Hildebrand two speed axles, and that isn't in the Focus. I'll have to be from Missouri on this one.
Moon
Old 01-04-2012, 11:18 PM   #28
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptcv1 View Post
If you had a BMW or still do as you other car... Whats your impression of the 12focus drive..
Car and driver puts it as almost BMW like driving dynamics..
Thanks
I'd have to say it's close. I was between 2 cars when I was looking in May: The Mercedes C300 (fully-loaded) and the BMW 335i (almost fully-loaded). Ended up landing on this car.

Truth be told the ride is not as different as one would imagine. It's balanced as well as the BMW (perfect 50/50, if I'm not mistaken) and it rides almost as smooth in pretty much all aspects. I got the Titanium with full sport suspension and it handles turns and high speeds *very* well. Better than any car I've owned, and now too far from the BMW (which is the best-in-class).
Old 01-04-2012, 11:21 PM   #29
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Points 3,767, Level 38
Points: 3,767, Level: 38 Points: 3,767, Level: 38 Points: 3,767, Level: 38
Level Up 78% Completed
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 11 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
Ours is the DSG, and guys, and the automated manual has dual clutches. I've never heard anyone else claim that it had more than one final drive in the powertrain, so I'm a little perplexed by the talk of 'dual final drive'. One clutch or the other is always engaged if the car is moving, but the power goes to a single ring and pinon in the transaxle. I remember the old Hildebrand two speed axles, and that isn't in the Focus. I'll have to be from Missouri on this one.
Moon
DPS6 Gear Ratio Chart

Gear / Ratio / Final Drive / Overall Ratio

Reverse / 3.508 / 4.35 / 15.270
1st / 3.917 / 3.89 / 15.254
2nd / 2.429 / 3.89 / 9.459
3rd / 1.436 / 4.35 / 6.250
4th / 1.021 / 4.35 / 4.446
5th / 0.867 / 3.89 / 3.375
6th / 0.702 / 3.89 / 2.735
Old 01-04-2012, 11:56 PM   #30
empowah
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91459
What I Drive: Mk3

Points 700, Level 13
Points: 700, Level: 13 Points: 700, Level: 13 Points: 700, Level: 13
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 empowah Good Standing Member
I actually chose the Focus after the good experiences I had borrowing them from Zipcar.

Zipcar has both the A3 and Focus here, and I was surprised how well they compared. The engine in the Focus is nowhere as effortlessly powerful as the A3's 2.0T, but the overall driving feel was similar.

Bookmarks & Social Networks