Need more power - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > DURATEC Performance (2003-2011)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2011) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-10-2012, 09:16 PM   #1
Marbs
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 49029
What I Drive: 2006 Red ZX3 SAP

FF Reputation: 4 Marbs Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Need more power

My girl asked me the other day "how did THAT car beat you?" I was not street racing, just playing a little on a two lane freeway entrance. I didn't even pass the speed limit by more then 5mph. But it left me wondering what I can do to squeeze a few more ponies out of her without going FI (can't afford a Turbo set-up at this point in time, but I hope one day I can). My current performance mods are CAI, MBRP Exhaust, Draxas header, FSWerks flex, Tune, and FRPP Lowering kit. I know there has to be something more as far as N/A performance goes, but for some reason I can't think of what's next? This is my DD so that plays a factor in what's next (no gutting or removing of interior or spare tire etc...).

2006 Focus ZX3 SAP, Draxas Header, FS Werks Flex pipe, MBRP exhaust, CAI, Tuned, Debaged, tinted windows, FRPP lowering kit, SVT 5-spoke wheels, Black Halo Projector Headlights, Niteshaded Side markers and tails, Mazda rear wiper, mustang antenna.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 10:38 PM   #2
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 47 felixthecat Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Simple= Add a set of Crane Cam's #0010. Very good DD set. For more add those cams to a 23 head. For more throw a 23 onboard.
Interduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131

Last edited by felixthecat; 11-11-2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:35 PM   #3
AllCarFan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102583
What I Drive: 2005 Saleen Sonic Blue S121

FF Reputation: 1 AllCarFan Good Standing Member
how much more power do you think the 2.3 head, crane cams, and a revised tune would net? 30hp at the wheels?
Old 11-13-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 47 felixthecat Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllCarFan View Post
how much more power do you think the 2.3 head, crane cams, and a revised tune would net? 30hp at the wheels?
30 would be great, but reallisticley I'd say 10-15hp. Next dyno day comes up I'm going, so I have some kind of idea. Stock hp 20 vs a 23 is 20hp. A 20 has to turn more rev's to develop hp, than a 23. It'd be interesting to see a 20 vs 23 on a dyno. Then add a 23 head & see the difference. There is a lot of info on using different heads & strokes lenghts on 5.0's, but none on mzr/dur-tech motor's.
Interduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 11-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
AllCarFan
Focus Enthusiast

15hp for just the head or do you mean 15hp for the new head, cams, and revised tune?
Old 11-13-2012, 05:25 PM   #6
Marbs
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
15hp for just the head or do you mean 15hp for the new head, cams, and revised tune?
What he said. If cams runs $400-$600(and all I could find where 05 and older cams) and I'm sure heads are up there in price too plus the money for a new tune will only net 15hp, I'm not so sure it's worth the money. What kind of power gains will just the cam net? Any idea?
2006 Focus ZX3 SAP, Draxas Header, FS Werks Flex pipe, MBRP exhaust, CAI, Tuned, Debaged, tinted windows, FRPP lowering kit, SVT 5-spoke wheels, Black Halo Projector Headlights, Niteshaded Side markers and tails, Mazda rear wiper, mustang antenna.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:28 PM   #7
AllCarFan
Focus Enthusiast

I dont know of any 'actual,' dyno-proven numbers. Only advertised and what vendors say.

At $400 for cams, $400 for a used head, $700-$800 for install, plus tune....you are in for nearly $2000 for 20?hp. For another $1000, one could tap into another 60hp with a turbo
Old 11-13-2012, 06:00 PM   #8
Marbs
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
I dont know of any 'actual,' dyno-proven numbers. Only advertised and what vendors say.

At $400 for cams, $400 for a used head, $700-$800 for install, plus tune....you are in for nearly $2000 for 20?hp. For another $1000, one could tap into another 60hp with a turbo
That's what I'm saying. I'd install cams and heads myself, well with the help of my engineer budy who has done all this before, to save money. But for that high of price for that little gain, I don't see cost per gain as a money well spent scenario. If that's all the power gained out of that money spent, I'll keep saving for a turbo/engine swap/new car.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:12 PM   #9
drewts86
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 72974
What I Drive: 2004 Burgundy ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 drewts86 Good Standing Member
I'd say throw on UD pulleys and TB maybe.

Quote:
$400 for a used head
Don't know where you're paying $400 for a used head, but Pick N Pull you can get them for about $80 for DOHC heads. If you are going to go with the heads I'd say the Crower stage 2's sound about right for what you've already got installed. They're just under $400 on Crower's website
Old 11-13-2012, 07:24 PM   #10
Marbs
Focus Fanatic

I've heard to many horror stories with UDP's on these motors. How are cams on making it harder to pass inspection every year?

Bookmarks & Social Networks