2005 ford focus, fuel system problems - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-28-2011, 10:09 AM   #1
jtrainor
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 93168
What I Drive: 2005, black, focus sedan

FF Reputation: 1 jtrainor Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2005 ford focus, fuel system problems

I am in need of help to diagnose what's up with my 2005 ford focus. about 3 months ago I got a little water in the gas from a bad gas can. I ran through some dry gas and gas treatment and changed fuel filter. it ran great about three weeks ago, I got stuck coming home from Boston. It stalled while doing 75 in the fast lane. I drove it to the side of the road and let it sit. It crankled back up and I drove it for another 15 miles then it died again. I let it sit again and conitnued for about 8 miles. I had it towed home. I took it to my mechanic because it was reading a code for fuel rail pressure sensor. Replaced that replaced plugs and new belt. Dove it back into Boston and about half way home to NH it stalled. This time I managed to let it sit and made it home. What can it be? If it was the fuel pump, it wouldn't run like this so what could it be. I'm at a loss. can you help?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2011, 12:03 PM   #2
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 9,889, Level 66
Points: 9,889, Level: 66 Points: 9,889, Level: 66 Points: 9,889, Level: 66
Level Up 60% Completed
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 70 sailor Excellent Standing Member
The Prev. water issue MAY be a clue....

If you didn't get it all out, winter weather is when the remaining water in the tank is most likely to cause an issue (when it freezes), though the Ethanol blend we get many places in the East SHOULD actually help...

Not sure about N.H., but Mass. and New York use it....

The pump COULD have been damaged... OR you could have an unrelated electrical issue...

But I'd start with a COUPLE bottles of GOOD "dry gas" (the isopropyl kind) NOT the Methyl Alcohol cheaper stuff & see what happens....

(Two possibilities come to mind, when it sits heat from having been running can melt any ice that formed, OR a fuel pump that's not happy can cool down & start working again...)

Other odd things could be going on (electrical or electronic) but try to investigate the "simpler" issues first..

Luck!
Old 12-28-2011, 09:16 PM   #3
jtrainor
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 93168
What I Drive: 2005, black, focus sedan

FF Reputation: 1 jtrainor Good Standing Member
replying to possible fuel system problems

Hi, Just read your reply to my question. I have tried good dry gas. It has been running. I just can't take it anywhere for a long distance in fear that it will stall. I was hoping that the fuel rail pressure sensor was the trick because of the code. I was wondering what about are there any other modules or psosibility of a leak in the fule line? If it was the fuel pump why would it keep running and start back up and let me drive. it's losing fule pressure somewhere. It's probably something very simple but I'm puzzled. What are your thoughts?

Bookmarks & Social Networks