Blue Candy thread - Page 10 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-23-2012, 10:17 PM   #91
Twenty
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17

Fan#: 90312
What I Drive: 2012 YB SE sedan w/ ST exterior

FF Reputation: 9 Twenty Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Holy damage Batman! Repainted by two months old? Ouch. :(
SR #74/SMk3C #17/YBOC #03
Bill M.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2012, 08:23 PM   #92
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Well, I would have gotten the car back today... however, I was forced to give the keys back once again. The bodylines in the door still aren't right, and I also found fish eyes and rough areas in the clearcoat, visible sanding marks, and nibs in the paint. The color match is excellent, but the final quality of the job obviously needs work.

I've been beyond patient with them thus far, but I've had enough with them trying to foist off a 'massaged' door panel on me, particularly since the car has just over 2k miles on it. The door needs a reskin, and I won't settle for anything less, especially not any kind of slapdash mudwork to try and rebuild the bodylines.

I now have the bodyshop manager involved, the local claims adjuster involved, and I have finally gotten a verbal OK from the regional insurance office to have the door skin replaced entirely. Hopefully this resolves the major issue I have with the erased bodyline from the deer impact. The final paint finish is something that can be fixed.

I've spent 7 years in the automotive dealer industry; they picked the wrong person to try and hoodwink.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:45 PM   #93
st falcon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92343
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy HATCH SEL

FF Reputation: 3 st falcon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
Well, I would have gotten the car back today... however, I was forced to give the keys back once again. The bodylines in the door still aren't right, and I also found fish eyes and rough areas in the clearcoat, visible sanding marks, and nibs in the paint. The color match is excellent, but the final quality of the job obviously needs work.

I've been beyond patient with them thus far, but I've had enough with them trying to foist off a 'massaged' door panel on me, particularly since the car has just over 2k miles on it. The door needs a reskin, and I won't settle for anything less, especially not any kind of slapdash mudwork to try and rebuild the bodylines.

I now have the bodyshop manager involved, the local claims adjuster involved, and I have finally gotten a verbal OK from the regional insurance office to have the door skin replaced entirely. Hopefully this resolves the major issue I have with the erased bodyline from the deer impact. The final paint finish is something that can be fixed.

I've spent 7 years in the automotive dealer industry; they picked the wrong person to try and hoodwink.
Wow, that is unacceptable. In fact my brother in law's friend had his car totalled 3 years AFTER the accident because the body ship did bondo work. It rusted from the inside our in the doors and rear qtr panel. I cant believe they would try to massage that panel back to life. I have a fifteen year old bronco I would never let them bondo/resurface a panel under insurance work...

If this is at a Ford dealer body shop, I would not be very happy.. Not that they are the best, but they have a brand to uphold.
Sure hope this gets resolved quickly, there is nothing worse than waiting for body work.

1996 Bronco XLT 351W
Cant wait for Summer when I pop the top!!
Old 01-25-2012, 10:29 PM   #94
Zillon
Focus Addict

Well, they didn't use any bondo, at least not to my knowledge, but they were trying to massage the door back into form using PDR techniques.

They wanted to avoid using filler and avoid replacing the door skin. Unfortunately, they've wasted enough of my time, and my insurance company's money, trying to make this approach work. It's time to simply replace the panel.

And yes, it is a Ford body shop.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:43 PM   #95
gullwingdmc
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88545
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 2 gullwingdmc Good Standing Member
Heres a paint update for all of you.

I talked to the paint guy and showed him the color we all chose. He didn't say which base coat it was, though I believe it was the one created by PPG when they sent my original bumper out to them to have it analyzed. He did however tell me that the color we chose had 7 coats of the clear coat, hence the 7 on it. He said that most cars that have a tinted clear coat get 3 coats, my previous painting had 4. So this is basically double what they normally do. The runner up color (#1) was a single coat paint that they tried. It is sold as an all in one paint, base and clear coat together.

I brought my car in this morning, if all goes well I should have it back by friday so we'll see then. If it is as good of a match as we saw with the spray cards I will ask them to give me the mix so I can pass it on to all of you who are dealing with this problem as well.

An amusing side note, while my car is getting painted they give me a loaner from the dealers rental car department. The car they gave me …. was a Blue Candy 2012 Hatch.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:08 AM   #96
tmnCA
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91665
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Hatchback SE, Sport

FF Reputation: 0 tmnCA Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
And here I thought that our nice bright blue would be very visible and possibly less likely to be hit!
Old 01-26-2012, 12:11 AM   #97
gullwingdmc
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88545
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 2 gullwingdmc Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmnCA View Post
And here I thought that our nice bright blue would be very visible and possibly less likely to be hit!
I like to think people are mesmerized by and it and are drawn to it. Unfortunately they forget they are driving cars at the time.

In other words.

Oooooo Shinny….Thud.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:23 AM   #98
st falcon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92343
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy HATCH SEL

FF Reputation: 3 st falcon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gullwingdmc View Post
An amusing side note, while my car is getting painted they give me a loaner from the dealers rental car department. The car they gave me …. was a Blue Candy 2012 Hatch.
Watch that rear view mirror! LOL!

Glad to hear there is some method coming out of this madness

1996 Bronco XLT 351W
Cant wait for Summer when I pop the top!!
Old 01-27-2012, 07:01 PM   #99
Zillon
Focus Addict

Door skin came in today, work will begin on the car on Monday.

Might have the car back by next weekend.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:48 AM   #100
BooBerry
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90175
What I Drive: 2012, Blue Candy, SE

FF Reputation: 2 BooBerry Good Standing Member

Gamertag = FailSnail Ink

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->