Interior creaking noise! - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-14-2014, 02:56 PM   #1
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Interior creaking noise!

I noticed a creaking noise a while back that I was able to loosely peg around the passengers front door, but I couldn't seem to find it. I checked all the rub points and went around hitting the door and everything else to see if I could duplicate, but only when I drive does it come back. The noise seems worst around 55mph which is also the speed I mostly cruise at on the side roads I frequent.

But, last week, while on a long drive over the 4th of July weekend, I happened to put my arm on the passenger seat and the noise stopped. I removed my arm and the noise resumed. I repeated this test several times and there's no doubt that the noise is coming from the front passengers seat.

What appears to be happening is that at certain speeds the small engine vibration is just enough to cause the passenger seat to kind of vibrate and it's this vibration that's causing the creaking sound. Has anyone else had a similar noise and if so, what have you done about it.

I'm tempted to find or fabricate some rubber washers to put on the hardware bolting the seat to the frame but given the safety issues I'm somewhat reluctant to do this. Interestingly, the vibration appears to be side-to-side more than front-to-back.

Brian

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2014, 07:37 PM   #2
larz27
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 131129
What I Drive: 2014 Char Gray Ford Focus SE HB DCT

FF Reputation: 1 larz27 Good Standing Member
Every squeak I've had has eventually squeaked itself out. Just wait a while and forget about it for now. If it persists for months, then check out warranty?
Old 07-16-2014, 10:34 AM   #3
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
I'll be heading home this weekend and plan to look at rubber washers just to see. My car has been pretty squeak free and it's one of those things that grate on you so I have to do something.

As I said, putting my hand on the seat to dampen the vibration stops the squeak, so I wound up suspending a backpack from the headrest and that also stopped the squeak.

Brian

Bookmarks & Social Networks