2012 Focus SE Transmission Grinding - Page 9 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-05-2012, 10:33 AM   #81
patrickpage
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102541
What I Drive: 2012 Black Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 patrickpage Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOMACH1 View Post
I finally got my Focus Titanium back after being at the dealership for 2 weeks. It was grinding between 2nd and 3rd and finally wouldn't shift out of first. Then it kept slipping into neutral. They pulled the tranny apart and replaced the clutches, solenoids and other various parts. Shifts better than ever now but I will be trading it in this fall as I wouldn't trust it on long trips. My dealership went above and beyond with excellent service and I'll be picking up my ST in a few months.

They did that to mine replaced all clutch, solenoids and other fun stuff. Got it back a day later making smae noise struggling at times try's to auto correct itself dropped it off they did more electronic settings got car back this past friday still doing same taking it in again. 4th time going to be going in in one month. I think i will be calling ford now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #82
SVOMACH1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89817
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 SVOMACH1 Good Standing Member
I actually canceled my ST because I figure if they can't fix the Titanium, chances are they can't fix the ST if a problem were to arise. Mine is starting to act up again too and I'm looking at selling it to a used car dealership.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #83
dbookman
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103608
What I Drive: 2012 Focus

FF Reputation: 1 dbookman Good Standing Member
2012 Focus SE Transmission Grinding

I noticed the same grinding issue on my wife's 2012 Focus SE last night. The grinding can be heard and felt as the transmission shifts into 2nd gear. The cars actually shutters during the shift. I never noticed the issue prior to a recall update so I'm not sure what the problem is. The car has 19k miles on it so it shouldn't be a "break in" issue. Im not real impressed with this transmission to begin with, it feels like it shifts too quickly. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #84
yellow-blaze
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100956
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 yellow-blaze Good Standing Member
I just got my 2012 SE back from the shop. The first time they weren't able to reproduce it, so I waited a little while and took it back again. This time they confirmed a problem and worked on it.

They said that the bell housing was leaking. They removed the trans and replaced seals and the clutch assembly. I've had it back back for a couple of days and it's running super smooth.

I was originally getting a pretty bad grinding noise when shifting. All I hear now is an occasional "click-click" sound when shifting at low gears, but that fits the description of the normal synchronizer sound Ford has already mentioned.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:02 PM   #85
Ysteven
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101029
What I Drive: 2012 oxford white sel, H2, F-150

FF Reputation: 1 Ysteven Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow-blaze View Post
I just got my 2012 SE back from the shop. The first time they weren't able to reproduce it, so I waited a little while and took it back again. This time they confirmed a problem and worked on it.

They said that the bell housing was leaking. They removed the trans and replaced seals and the clutch assembly. I've had it back back for a couple of days and it's running super smooth.

I was originally getting a pretty bad grinding noise when shifting. All I hear now is an occasional "click-click" sound when shifting at low gears, but that fits the description of the normal synchronizer sound Ford has already mentioned.
Ok. I didn't want to answer it this way. But I will open you guys eyes. I own a lot of cars as of right now. I am very mechanically inclined. Your issues is that ford engineers <morons> saved 2cents on shifting fork bearing and didn't put seal on it, so your bearing gets lubed from contaminated with metal oil and after wear off spins eccentrically casing stuttering. Like everybody explains grinding noise, it's not, it's dry loose bearing ball noise.
I did rebuild ford trannies before, I know weak spots, except this one cause its manual/auto, but I am working thru my sources to get exploded schematics on it.
My issue is same as every body else it's just my dealer treating me like iam an idiot, by saying nothing wrong or it's at tranny shop. They treating me like iam dumb as:;(:;(:s. FORGET FORD. WILL NEVER BUY ANYMORE FROM THEM. Hate to take my business overseas, but maybe our next choose will be GM.w
If ford is reading this, feel free to contact me

Last edited by Ysteven; 10-06-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #86
Ysteven
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101029
What I Drive: 2012 oxford white sel, H2, F-150

FF Reputation: 1 Ysteven Good Standing Member
This message to Ford

Last edited by Ysteven; 10-06-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:58 AM   #87
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ysteven View Post
I'll bring it to the attention of our FCS representative. It's the weekend though, she won't be back until Monday. You can send her a private message, just go to the UserCP, over on the left, pick new message in the PM, recipient: FordCustomerService. Be sure to give her your Name, dealer name, phone number, and VIN. You can also look through this thread and find where FCS made a post, click on their name, and that will pull down a menu to send a Private Message.

There is a difference between someone who has a car and is complaining about it/dealer, and someone who doesn't own the car any more and is on here complaining about it. We can help people who own the cars as much as we can- which might not be perfect for whatever reason- but we can't do anything for people who've sold their car and still want to come to enthusiasts websites to get sand out of their genitals.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:18 AM   #88
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
This message to Ford
Hi Ysteven,

Feel free to reach out to me via PM; I'm happy to look into what you've been experiencing and see how I can help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
I'll bring it to the attention of our FCS representative. It's the weekend though, she won't be back until Monday. You can send her a private message, just go to the UserCP, over on the left, pick new message in the PM, recipient: FordCustomerService. Be sure to give her your Name, dealer name, phone number, and VIN. You can also look through this thread and find where FCS made a post, click on their name, and that will pull down a menu to send a Private Message...
Thanks for alerting me to this post, whynotthinkwhynot! I'm always happy to help out when I can.

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 10-17-2012, 07:11 PM   #89
AlanDouglas
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104952
What I Drive: 2012 White Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 AlanDouglas Good Standing Member
Grinding Noise

Has anyone found a resolution to this grinding noise?

I am experiencing the same issue. Dealer says there is no problem (or more accurately, no resolution, but many complaints)

I find with car on slight incline, accelerating from 30 to 40mph when it attempts to change gear, there is grinding noises. It is not easy to recreate so dealer test drives and cannot hear the issue.

It sounds like damage is being caused.

Any info n fix would be appreciated
Old 10-17-2012, 07:25 PM   #90
unfocused1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95246
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 2 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Ok. I didn't want to answer it this way. But I will open you guys eyes. I own a lot of cars as of right now. I am very mechanically inclined. Your issues is that ford engineers <morons> saved 2cents on shifting fork bearing and didn't put seal on it, so your bearing gets lubed from contaminated with metal oil and after wear off spins eccentrically casing stuttering. Like everybody explains grinding noise, it's not, it's dry loose bearing ball noise.
I did rebuild ford trannies before, I know weak spots, except this one cause its manual/auto, but I am working thru my sources to get exploded schematics on it.
My issue is same as every body else it's just my dealer treating me like iam an idiot, by saying nothing wrong or it's at tranny shop. They treating me like iam dumb as:;(:;(:s. FORGET FORD. WILL NEVER BUY ANYMORE FROM THEM. Hate to take my business overseas, but maybe our next choose will be GM.w
Since most cars have parts made in Mexico, China, and elsewhere, and shipped here to assemble, your business gets overseas regardless of your belief that you weren't taking it there to begin with.

GM, one of the kings of offshoring for years (and then got bailed out because of poor product quality; management cutting corners on part and material quality as well), may or may not be a good place to go.

Ironically, Toyota has most of its cars built here, but after my 95 Corolla I will never buy a Toyota EVER again... not because it was also sold as a Geo Prizm... engine oil leaking after 70k miles, transmission fluid leaking before 90k miles... or maybe the one I bought was just the "luck of the draw"...

Bookmarks & Social Networks