2012 Focus SE Transmission Grinding - Page 8 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-24-2012, 12:37 PM   #71
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricomtl View Post
I did not see any difference before & after. I already had smooth shifting when I got past the break in point, so when I got the re-flash, I did not see any improvement or change.

The 1st/2nd gear grinding is still present, but from what I've read so far, that is normal operation of the dual dry clutch. I just don't pay attention to it anymore, but if I happen to be in an indoor garage, that gringing ugly and loud!
A low speed rattling (metal) noise is a common characteristic that will diminish as the clutch completes the break-in. Do you do a lot of highway driving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptrsan View Post
Ok I sent the Vin and dealership info along with contact info.

I have yet to hear from the regional rep... so here goes the SAGA of 2 weeks in Courtsey Ford in Sanford FL...
I sent you a reply earlier today. Please check your inbox and respond with the requested information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOMACH1 View Post
FordCustomerService, I sent you a PM.
I got it. I'll send the details to your CSM as soon as possible.

- Thomas

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2012, 10:52 AM   #72
patrickpage
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102541
What I Drive: 2012 Black Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 patrickpage Good Standing Member
I'm new to this forum and I've already had the one recall done and it has gotten worse i have an apt this afternoon again but I just keep reading how these trans after they are checked up having problems. What is Ford doing to help with this.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:55 AM   #73
patrickpage
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102541
What I Drive: 2012 Black Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 patrickpage Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptrsan View Post
I've been reading this and 4 other forums (car and driver, consumer reports etc.) and as our 2012 focus SE is in the shop for what every one else has complained about the transmission, I have a few questions.

1. WHY ARE DEALERS PRETENDING that they have never heard of this?

if they don't know anything of it....why are all my dealership transmission people at a training seminar? ( according to the service manager...they should be back monday)

2. What is the "Ford protocol?" Today ...after 2 days in the shop another Service consultant told me they won't even pull the trans or inspect it "until the electronics division in dearborn tells us to". ( could it be another FIB? could it be another way of covering it up? could it be ...... add your own).

3. Why if you complain about the computer screwing up, they will re-flash it with new software, but if you don't ask they do nothing and let you tear up the clutch cylinder, clutch slave and a few other parts..?

4. Why no recall? It's a known problem ...what over paid moron is making decisions? Even car and driver said "some needs to be held accountable".

5.. I want it in writing.....you will never have to go thru this again. (I've already lost all hopes of getting the blue book value as a trade, it seems that EVERYONE EXCEPT FORD knows of the problem! GO Figure!)

You are correct alot of dealers are rejecting a deal or low balling these cars so bad because either they have many at the lot or know of the problem and no one wants to buy this car. We shouldnt be stuck with this car!
Old 08-13-2012, 02:05 PM   #74
pietschu
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92031
What I Drive: 2012, red, Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 pietschu Good Standing Member
Gravelly Noise

Sure hard to say if the noises I hear are the same as the noises anyone else hears, but I'd say I have heard a gravelly sound a few times. It always seems to be at low RPM and under gentle acceleration and is accompaied with a bit of engine shake/shudder. Happened this morning as I was driving down to the parking spot in the underground parkade. Reminds me of sounds I heard when I drove other manual transmissions (that I actually had to shift) with smaller engines. Don't know for sure what gear the computer picked this morning but I bet it was too high which causes the engine to make the gravelly noise as it is at the wrong place on it's power curve and ignition timing. To make it go away I either accelerate harder (to make the computer down shift) or down shift myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Focus2012 View Post
I have owned my 2012 Focus since last September. It's production date was late August. Regarding the grinding noise from the transmission I can relate to the gravely sound that occurs for me, oddly, only after I have driven on 1 particular road. The road terrain is hilly, 25mph or less curves, and is generally a road with top speed of 40mph. Driving on this road involves acceleration to go up a hill and slowing down to take a curve and then accelerating to go up a hill or braking to go down a hill. It is after I have driven on this road which is 10miles long and start driving again on a highway that involves traffic lights is when I hear the noise. When I leave the traffic light do I hear the noise but once past 2nd gear I do not hear the noise for 3-6. This is the only time I hear the noise, all of my other driving, which is light and heavy traffic, and highway driving, I never hear the noise and the transmission works fine. At 5000 miles the check engine light came on and the dealer re-flashed the computer module. The upate did not change or stop the noise after driving on that 1 road. Now have 8000 miles and the transmission is fine except for after driving on that 1 road the noise comes back. After the car sits for a while the noise is gone, but if the car only sits for say 30 minutes the noies is still there. Now is there something going on when there are many upshifts and down shifts in a short distance, I don't know. What about heat issues? I've driven the car for 300miles at 70 mph non stop and had no noise with the transmission when starting out after a stop. I hope that all of this doesn't mean that sometime in the future that the transmission will fail.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:12 PM   #75
pietschu
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92031
What I Drive: 2012, red, Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 pietschu Good Standing Member
RPM and Grade

At what RPM does it occur?

Are you accelerating gently, normally, aggressively?

Does it occur on flat road, downhill, uphill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
Well, my focus is about a month old, with 1200 miles on it and I am experiencing the rock tumbler noise when switching from 1st to 2nd. Otherwise the car runs well once you get used to the manual style of the transmission.

So does this mean I am grinding up parts of the tranny and it's only a matter of time before something gives out? Is this some sort of burn in for the car? It's my first automatic, and I already regret not getting the manual.

Also, do the dealers generally give a loaner car if the focus will be in service for a few days?
Old 08-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #76
Woodlacto
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102899
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 Woodlacto Good Standing Member
Have the exact same issue. Currently have approx 1,400 miles on 2012 Focus SE Hatchback. It started at about 500 miles. Car was purchased 7/2012. The grinding is intermittent, but, as others have said, usually at going from gear 1 to 2 & sometimes when decelerating.

Is there a definitive fix yet? Is it something to be concerned about?

Thx.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:46 PM   #77
2012Focus2012
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97899
What I Drive: 2014,Ingot Silver, Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 2012Focus2012 Good Standing Member
Don't know if this link has been posted to this thread. Found it elsewhere within Focus Fanatics but don't recall exactly where. This article describes the operation of the DCT. Have had all the control module updates authorized from Ford. Shifting is fine but occasionally hear the gravelly sound. http://www.fordtechservice.dealercon.../pdf/2DPS6.pdf
Old 08-23-2012, 02:58 PM   #78
Woodlacto
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102899
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 Woodlacto Good Standing Member
Many thanks for the link, 2012Focus2012. It's much appreciated.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:18 PM   #79
Tony M
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103251
What I Drive: 2012 White Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Tony M Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlarch View Post
I have the exact same issue. The transmission grinds when shifting into 2nd and to a lesser extent 4th gear. It does it between 2,000 and 4,000 rpm. It does it in both drive and sport, but does not do it when i choose the gears. Not sure what to make of it. I took it to the dealer and they ran a drive cycle and talked to Ford and was told nothing was wrong despite acknowledging the sound. They gave me some papers from Ford saying it was all part of clutch break in. I took it in at 1,500 miles and now have almost 2k and no change. I drove a manual for 15 years before getting this car and can say honestly that this is not just adjusting to the differences in the transmission.
I have over 11,000 miles on my 2012 SE and the tranny grinding and jerkyness have not gone away, they have actually gotten worse. I also have an issue where the tranny holds gears for way too long. I had the transmission software update about 5,000 miles ago and things were better for about 2 weeks then slowly started to deteriorate. This would be a great car if it had a different transmission. The car is going back to the dealer this afternoon.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:55 PM   #80
SVOMACH1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89817
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 SVOMACH1 Good Standing Member
I finally got my Focus Titanium back after being at the dealership for 2 weeks. It was grinding between 2nd and 3rd and finally wouldn't shift out of first. Then it kept slipping into neutral. They pulled the tranny apart and replaced the clutches, solenoids and other various parts. Shifts better than ever now but I will be trading it in this fall as I wouldn't trust it on long trips. My dealership went above and beyond with excellent service and I'll be picking up my ST in a few months.

Bookmarks & Social Networks