2012 Focus SE Transmission Grinding - Page 6 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-27-2012, 04:59 PM   #51
Vta Focus
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 98210
What I Drive: 2012 White Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Vta Focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I just purchase my brand new 2012 Ford Focus on 4/15/12, and it is currently in the shop for the exact same problem described in this thread. During acceleration, once the transmission is shifting from first into second gear, I hear a gravelly, grinding noise coming from what seems to be the left side of the engine. It just started this week, so yesterday I brought it to my service department who acknowledged the sound. Today a different technician has been assigned to it, and now they are telling me they are unable to reproduce the noise. First off, it is worrisome that a noise they were able to reproduce yesterday, I am now being told is not happening; secondly, I also find it worrisome that the technician is now trying to tell me it is probably the way the car is supposed to run. As far as I am concerned and despite what the technician is telling me, grinding in the engine is NEVER a good sign. I am terribly worried, and the security I felt because of buying a brand new car is gone as now I'm wondering what is going to happen next. I should be getting a call back from the technician by the end of the day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2012, 05:45 PM   #52
Vta Focus
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 98210
What I Drive: 2012 White Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Vta Focus Good Standing Member
I just got a call back from the technician working on my Focus... when they contacted the "Ford Hotline" they were told to check the service history which showed a repair was performed on the vehicle while it was still brand new. They were told to check underneath where the repairs were done on the AC unit in which a heat shield had been misaligned. My question to you: is it normal for repairs to be performed on BRAND NEW cars before they are sold?
Old 04-28-2012, 03:38 PM   #53
Hawk2440
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 95039
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Focus Sedan SE

FF Reputation: 1 Hawk2440 Good Standing Member
Hello. Thought I'd give an update to my previous post. I took my car to the dealership to have it inspected. I was relieved to find out the noise I am hearing is normal. I was given some literature that was sent to all Ford and Lincoln dealers from corporate. The part applicable to the noise I was experiencing is as follows:

"Common sounds a driver may notice are:
-A customer may describe the sound as double clicking metal sounds that may be heard for each gear engagement or disengagement. This is sound gears shifting and synchronizers (similar to a manual transmission). These noises can likely be heard while driving on very smooth surfaces during a 1-2 up shift or a 3-2-1 coast down. The sounds occur with every gear engagement, but generally cannot be heard over the background engine, road and wind noises at higher speeds. Most noticeable if the windows are down and the radio is off. These shifting sounds are part of normal operation.
-A slight gear whine while slowing or coasting, where the transmission is back-driven by the wheels may cause this noise, which is normal.
-Transmission cycling to the start position after the engine is turned of.

Some customers may experience a reverse trailer hitching feel (or a slight bumping feel) and/or grinding noise at about 2 MPH. This reverse noise is cause by a bearing spinning in the transmission and does not affect the durability of the transmission. The trailer hitching feel may occur in lower forward gears as well - particularly if the customer is off and on the gas quickly. It may be more noticeable in a parking lot or when a customer is doing multiple on/off gas pedal maneuvers. This trailer hitching/engagement feel is a result of the dry clutches and is characteristic of manual transmissions. Conversely, automatic transmissions have a torque converter. The torque converter is a fluid coupling device which smooths out these positive engagement feels."

This addresses exactly what I was experiencing. I asked the gentlemen that helped me in the service department (a few times, just to make sure) if there was damage to the transmission from the noise I was hearing. He assured me there was none.

I hope this puts a few minds on here at ease - it was certainly a big relief to me. I have very little experience with manual transmissions, so the behavior and feel of the transmission in the Focus was new to me. I'm glad this ended up being a non-issue.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #54
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
Well, my focus is about a month old, with 1200 miles on it and I am experiencing the rock tumbler noise when switching from 1st to 2nd....Also, do the dealers generally give a loaner car if the focus will be in service for a few days?
Hey Josiah,

Congratulations on the Focus!

Let’s work on making this the great experience you desire. I’ll be happy to escalate this concern to the Customer Service Manager for your area. Please send me a PM with your contact information, dealer name/state, approximate mileage, and VIN.

Loaner vehicles are provided per dealer availability and/or extenuating circumstances. Give the service department a call and make arrangements with them. For future peace of mind, Ford offers multiple Extended Service Plans. Check out the site when you have a moment, I’m sure you’ll find one that will meet your needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vta Focus View Post
I just purchase my brand new 2012 Ford Focus on 4/15/12, and it is currently in the shop for the exact same problem described in this thread. ...
Hi Vta Focus,

I’m glad you’re working with the local Ford dealer to have this concern remedied. I can arrange a call from the Customer Service Manager to help assuage your worry. Shoot me a PM with the VIN, current mileage, your personal, and dealer contact info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk2440 View Post
Hello. Thought I'd give an update to my previous post. I took my car to the dealership to have it inspected. I was relieved to find out the noise I am hearing is normal. I was given some literature that was sent to all Ford and Lincoln dealers from corporate...
I hope this puts a few minds on here at ease - it was certainly a big relief to me....I'm glad this ended up being a non-issue.
Afternoon Hawk2440,

I'm glad the dealership calmed your concern and provided this information. If in the future I can be of assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Take care everyone!

Noemi

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 05-01-2012, 01:48 PM   #55
Josiah
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97975
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE HB

FF Reputation: 1 Josiah Good Standing Member
Took it to the dealer service

Thanks Noemi,

Will get in touch if need be...

Took the focus in to the dealer service because the heat was not working. They found that it was improperly filled with coolant at the factory and there was not enough to make it into the heater core.

They did the recall with the wiper motor and also looked at the transmission. The noise was noted, and they applied the TCM update and other software updates and did a driving test. They acknowledged the noise is still there and told me that Ford advises this sound is "normal".

I also got a loaner 2012 Focus that didnt have any transmission noises, so that was positive!

After a brief drive the gravel noise is worse, and from my experience noises like that generally mean something is broken. I will inquire about the noise after 3000 miles, which is a supposed break in period according to the guys at the service center. I have the super duper extended service plan, so I am not worried about costs, but it's a bit unsettling to drive around.

My biggest complaint is that the salesman didn't tell me anything about the dual clutch transmission. I was in a hurry and wanted to get an economical car, so I hadn't done too much research. I had had such good experience with Fords in Australia that I decided to stick with it back in the US. The salesman could have at least mentioned the new transmission.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:07 AM   #56
ricomtl
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97818
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch Tx. Black

FF Reputation: 1 ricomtl Good Standing Member
Quote:
Hello. Thought I'd give an update to my previous post. I took my car to the dealership to have it inspected. I was relieved to find out the noise I am hearing is normal. I was given some literature that was sent to all Ford and Lincoln dealers from corporate. The part applicable to the noise I was experiencing is as follows:

"Common sounds a driver may notice are:
-A customer may describe the sound as double clicking metal sounds that may be heard for each gear engagement or disengagement. This is sound gears shifting and synchronizers (similar to a manual transmission). These noises can likely be heard while driving on very smooth surfaces during a 1-2 up shift or a 3-2-1 coast down. The sounds occur with every gear engagement, but generally cannot be heard over the background engine, road and wind noises at higher speeds. Most noticeable if the windows are down and the radio is off. These shifting sounds are part of normal operation.
-A slight gear whine while slowing or coasting, where the transmission is back-driven by the wheels may cause this noise, which is normal.
-Transmission cycling to the start position after the engine is turned of.

Some customers may experience a reverse trailer hitching feel (or a slight bumping feel) and/or grinding noise at about 2 MPH. This reverse noise is cause by a bearing spinning in the transmission and does not affect the durability of the transmission. The trailer hitching feel may occur in lower forward gears as well - particularly if the customer is off and on the gas quickly. It may be more noticeable in a parking lot or when a customer is doing multiple on/off gas pedal maneuvers. This trailer hitching/engagement feel is a result of the dry clutches and is characteristic of manual transmissions. Conversely, automatic transmissions have a torque converter. The torque converter is a fluid coupling device which smooths out these positive engagement feels."

This addresses exactly what I was experiencing. I asked the gentlemen that helped me in the service department (a few times, just to make sure) if there was damage to the transmission from the noise I was hearing. He assured me there was none.

I hope this puts a few minds on here at ease - it was certainly a big relief to me. I have very little experience with manual transmissions, so the behavior and feel of the transmission in the Focus was new to me. I'm glad this ended up being a non-issue.
hmmm interesting. Thanks for sharing Hawk2440! Did your grinding noise sound like the YouTube video on Page 1 of this thread? Mine seems to be a little different, but occurs at the same gear shifts, therefore I assume I'm experiencing the same issue.

Thanks again for sharing!
Old 05-16-2012, 09:12 PM   #57
Hawk2440
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 95039
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Focus Sedan SE

FF Reputation: 1 Hawk2440 Good Standing Member
ricomtl, the noise I hear isn't quite as loud or as long in duration as the video, but occurs at the same gear shift. No problem, glad it was helpful.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:59 AM   #58
ricomtl
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97818
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch Tx. Black

FF Reputation: 1 ricomtl Good Standing Member
Quote:
ricomtl, the noise I hear isn't quite as loud or as long in duration as the video, but occurs at the same gear shift. No problem, glad it was helpful.
I actually spotted a video someone had posted here a while back (but I can no longer find it)... it was a Ford video explaining how the DCT/powershift transmission works, and they actually explain there is indeed a "noise" noticeable when the engine is operating a lower speeds. However, the video doesn't describe the noise nor provides an audio sample.

I'll try to use my iPhone to capture an audio sample of my grinding noise and report back here.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:23 PM   #59
2012Focus2012
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97899
What I Drive: 2014,Ingot Silver, Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 2012Focus2012 Good Standing Member
Smile Program Update 12b37

Recommend the Program Update 12b37. Ford sent a letter out to owners to get this update. After 100 miles my car is performing much better. Haven't heard any noises, seems to shift better and there is no roll back like there was before. Going on a 100mile road trip tomorrow and I will see how that goes. Overall happy with this update so far.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:57 PM   #60
umbrage
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94798
What I Drive: 2012 SE 5-Door

FF Reputation: 1 umbrage Good Standing Member
On Tuesday, I took my SE hatchback in for the 12B37 FSA. I told them about the 1-2 shift noise while dropping off the car. I've been experiencing this for almost the life of the car, over 1750 miles (and have posted in another thread about it). When they called back on Wednesday, the service manager said, "We applied the update, but they didn't hear any noises coming from the transmission." I was very, very skeptical that a software flash solved it, and was told that if I waited until Thursday morning to pick the car up, I could take a test drive with someone to point out exactly what my concerns were.

Of course the first shift the car makes pulling out of the garage, I hear the grind. And every. single. 1-2 shift. after that.

The technician, however, just kept leaning and leaning towards the center of the cabin, straining to hear anything out of the ordinary. I don't know how anyone can miss the sound of a blender coming out of the bottom of my car, but perhaps it's a testament to 1) how well car owners can notice things about their cars, and 2) the soundproofing in the cabin.

Finally I stop in the middle of the street, next to some concrete traffic barriers, and I say, "Okay, let's try this. Roll down your window." I start to roll forward, and as it shifts from 1 to 2, this fantastic

KRRRRRRRRRRANK!

comes ripping from under my car and fills the cabin. The technician looks visibly shocked and says, "Okay...do that again." With the barriers reflecting the sound back, it was undeniable there was a not-good noise coming from my car.

They take the car back and say they'll look at it again. I get a call this afternoon from the service manager, and he gives me the following bullet points:
  • I'm not going to get the car back before the holiday weekend.
  • They can only repro the sound "intermittently".
  • The computer is not registering any error codes (which is not shocking).
  • They have contacted "Ford Engineering" to get more information and are still trying to figure out the problem.
I'm a little bummed that the car is unavailable over the weekend (I'm having to rent a Zipcar tomorrow morning to take my girlfriend to a doctor's appointment), but at least they're trying to fix the issue. I just wish there was a way I could the technicians a link to the YouTube video showing the exact problem, as well as Tarzanalog's experience with the throwout bearing replacement.

Have a great Memorial Day, everyone!

Bookmarks & Social Networks