2012 Focus SE Transmission Grinding - Page 35 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-02-2013, 08:06 AM   #341
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95399
What I Drive: Mazda-3 , formerly a focus SE

Points 310, Level 6
Points: 310, Level: 6 Points: 310, Level: 6 Points: 310, Level: 6
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
the Mazda 3 is everything my focus wasn't

I just gave up on my shuddering, shaking indecisive dual clutch transmission on my 2012 focus. The ford memo is garbage wherein they say all these symptoms are normal. Ask any VW GTI owner, same type transmission, no such problems.

The mazda 3 skyactive engine and tranny are great, nice smooth shifts and down shifts, same great mileage-38, solid firm sporty suspension, solid feel to entire car.

you can read hundreds of consumer reviews on the mazda 3 and I only saw one complaint about engine and/or transmission.

whereas, sadly, you can read hundreds of focus transmission complaints here and also at edmunds.com and also at lemon law blog. not to mention focus owners are vocing their complaints

http://www.lemonlaw.com/wordpress/fo...ssion-problem/

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0f7ced/

plus goto any car web site like cars.com, choose a 2012-2013 focus then click into customer reviews

try any dealer website, customer reviews.

I respect and admire the ford customer reps here at at the ford focus facebook page, they are sincerely trying to help.

but in my opinion, this is a recall waiting to happen that sometimes even requires tearing apart the transmission.

try the mazda 3, you'll never regret it.

Last edited by mr_cassandra; 08-05-2013 at 08:40 AM. Reason: typos
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #342
bigliketexas
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109094
What I Drive: 13' SE|HB

FF Reputation: 1 bigliketexas Good Standing Member
Haha, now you're just copy pasting this all over where you see "trasmission."

Have you seen a dealer about the issues? Did they attempt to remedy or did they dismiss you? Plenty of people are enjoying their cars just fine. I'm sorry you're experiencing troubles with your new purchase, but boasting about a mazda 3 is just silly.

That was the most uncomfortable ride enterprise gave me, I ended up just taking a hyundai accent without audio connectivity because it drove better.

Yes. I understand how ridiculous that sounds.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #343
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Points 310, Level 6
Level Up 20% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigliketexas View Post

Have you seen a dealer about the issues? Did they attempt to remedy or did they dismiss you? Plenty of people are enjoying their cars just fine. I'm sorry you're experiencing troubles with your new purchase, but boasting about a mazda 3 is just silly.

That was the most uncomfortable ride enterprise gave me, I ended up just taking a hyundai accent without audio connectivity because it drove better.

Hi Big, yes been to dealer several times, had a 25 year old svc rep who knew very little about dual clutch transmission show me a 4 page memo that all is ok. If you have ever driven the VW GTI, which I owned, you KNOW this is not right. Also if you haven't read up on mazda sky active engines and transmission, well worth a read. Their engineers deliberately turned down dual clutch and cvt technology and made their own. out for two years with hundreds of happy consumers posting reviews. 38 mpg verified by consumers, only 5hp less than the focus.

Last edited by mr_cassandra; 08-05-2013 at 08:40 AM. Reason: typos
Old 08-05-2013, 07:04 AM   #344
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Points 310, Level 6
Level Up 20% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigliketexas View Post

Big thanks for your update on your post #73 where you said: Had my 15k maintenance yesterday, again.. complained about the low speed / gear chatter and the ford rep just lost it and signed me up to have an engine / transmission pull apart, new clutch pack assembly, new engine and trans seals, the works.

He said I was not the only one to complain, and he's tired of giving people the run around. He said almost 9-10 focus trade-in's get this treatment only because they KNOW the probability of something failing is too high.

Im glad to see even they're getting tired of this nonsense.

Try different dealerships, guys... I was just lucky to find someone who is getting fed up.

Your post makes my point 100 times over, thank you for sharing.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #345
Sprint
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87069
What I Drive: 2012, Black, Focus Titanium Sedan

Points 127, Level 2
Points: 127, Level: 2 Points: 127, Level: 2 Points: 127, Level: 2
Level Up 54% Completed
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Sprint Good Standing Member
I don't think they "tear the engine / transmission apart" (your rep is over embellishing I think). They just install a new/improved clutch pack. That's what was done for me last fall (and many others). It fixed my grinding issue which has not retuned since.

As I've said many times before here: Ford is giving dealers the green light to make these changes under warranty - DON'T take BS from dealers who refuse to do it for what ever inexplicable reason.

ALSO - Voice the opinion wherever/whenever possible that transmission warranty on these vehicles needs to be extended without charge to make things right between ford and 2012+ Focus owners.

And by the way: without the transmission grinding issue my Focus TI IS a great car!!
Old 08-06-2013, 10:13 AM   #346
slybarman
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

Points 1,664, Level 23
Points: 1,664, Level: 23 Points: 1,664, Level: 23 Points: 1,664, Level: 23
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 6 slybarman Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint View Post
They just install a new/improved clutch pack.
New maybe. I don't think anyone has been able to confirm the "improved" part - at least not that I have seen.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #347
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Points 310, Level 6
Level Up 20% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
I don't think they "tear the engine / transmission apart" (your rep is over embellishing I think). They just install a new/improved clutch pack. That's what was done for me last fall (and many others). It fixed my grinding issue which has not retuned since.

As I've said many times before here: Ford is giving dealers the green light to make these changes under warranty - DON'T take BS from dealers who refuse to do it for what ever inexplicable reason.

ALSO - Voice the opinion wherever/whenever possible that transmission warranty on these vehicles needs to be extended without charge to make things right between ford and 2012+ Focus owners.

And by the way: without the transmission grinding issue my Focus TI IS a great car!!
I wish that were true but by browsing the hundreds and hundreds of posts at this forum on various threads, you can find more than a few people where the dealer

1. pulled the transmission OUT of the car
2. replaced seals, rails, clutches, and/or throwout bearings.

As you read the many variations of problems documented here at this website, the recurring theme for opening up the transmission apepars to be oil contamination from a seal leak.

I believe that there is a TSB which specifically addresses oil leaking from the bell housing.

To start verifying what I have said, just do a forum search for the word transmission.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:26 AM   #348
Sprint
Focus Enthusiast

Points 127, Level 2
Level Up 54% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cassandra View Post
I wish that were true but by browsing the hundreds and hundreds of posts at this forum on various threads, you can find more than a few people where the dealer

1. pulled the transmission OUT of the car
2. replaced seals, rails, clutches, and/or throwout bearings.

As you read the many variations of problems documented here at this website, the recurring theme for opening up the transmission apepars to be oil contamination from a seal leak.

I believe that there is a TSB which specifically addresses oil leaking from the bell housing.

To start verifying what I have said, just do a forum search for the word transmission.
I'm not saying mine will stay resolved but it has been up to now (I had it done in November with about 16k km. I'm now at 24k with no issues.

The fact that clutch assembly replacements are not holding up is even more reason to be vocal about getting Ford to respond to these issues at least with a free extended transmission warranty, and for Ford dealers to stop telling customers the lame story that there is no issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slybarman View Post
New maybe. I don't think anyone has been able to confirm the "improved" part - at least not that I have seen.
I can confirm that it's improved in my case. I've put more miles on my car since the repair was done with no grinding than I had on it up to the repair with grinding.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:06 PM   #349
slybarman
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

Points 1,664, Level 23
Points: 1,664, Level: 23 Points: 1,664, Level: 23 Points: 1,664, Level: 23
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 6 slybarman Good Standing Member
Quote:
I can confirm that it's improved in my case. I've put more miles on my car since the repair was done with no grinding than I had on it up to the repair with grinding.
Sorry - not saying your experience wasn't improved, I meant that there has been no evidence (that I have seen) to suggest that Ford made any sort of engineering or manufacturing changes to clutch packs since they were first introduced.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:11 PM   #350
Sprint
Focus Enthusiast

Points 127, Level 2
Level Up 54% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by slybarman View Post
Sorry - not saying your experience wasn't improved, I meant that there has been no evidence (that I have seen) to suggest that Ford made any sort of engineering or manufacturing changes to clutch packs since they were first introduced.
Maybe not - in which case I guess it's just a matter of time before mine falls apart again.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.