2012 Focus SE Transmission Grinding - Page 34 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #331
david3808
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 116070
What I Drive: Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 david3808 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Same problem. No fix from Ford

2012 Focus with about 13K on it. At around 2000 rpm we can hear a grinding noise. It used to happen maybe 25% of the time at around 5K miles and now it's 100% of the time.

Ford service was able to replicate the noise, and they found the issue on their database. But after one day in the shop, they told us there is NO FIX for it!

Does anyone have an update?

Is Ford waiting around for these engines to fall apart before fixing them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2013, 02:15 PM   #332
leomon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90856
What I Drive: 20120 Focus Titanium - SterlingGrey

Points 778, Level 14
Points: 778, Level: 14 Points: 778, Level: 14 Points: 778, Level: 14
Level Up 78% Completed
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 leomon Good Standing Member
Please see my other post.

There is a temp fix for it, its prob your dry-clutch.

Are you experiencing slow throttle response, grinding when it changes from 1st to 2nd gear? shuddering during take off?

Its all the same, confront your dealer with the TSB i quoted in my "calling all thread" and see if it makes any difference.

But really they should replace your entire clutch and assembly (parts on back order)
Old 06-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #333
david3808
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 116070
What I Drive: Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 david3808 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by leomon View Post
Please see my other post.

There is a temp fix for it, its prob your dry-clutch.

Are you experiencing slow throttle response, grinding when it changes from 1st to 2nd gear? shuddering during take off?

Its all the same, confront your dealer with the TSB i quoted in my "calling all thread" and see if it makes any difference.

But really they should replace your entire clutch and assembly (parts on back order)
I have an automatic, and it happens when I am around 2000 RPM. Yes, it's probably shifting from 1st to 2nd. It stutters and is sluggish to accelerate out of the mode.

Thanks for the tip!
Old 06-25-2013, 06:28 PM   #334
MrFixit50
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 116098
What I Drive: 2012Ford Fiesta

FF Reputation: 1 MrFixit50 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint View Post
What's really lame is dealers straining to "hear the noise" and pretending like they don't know what's going on. We can be fairly sure any dealers that's had more than a few of these cars on the lot will have seen / heard the same issues a number of times. Acting like they've never heard of the issue before or needing iron clad proof of the "the noise" is baloney. When I took my car in for the grinding, my usual luck with these type things kicked in and the grinding noise did not occur during my test drive with the mechanic. Didn't matter though, he seemed to know exactly what I was referring to and recommended a clutch replacement - no iron clad proof required - they know what's going on.
Am wondering how you have made out with your trans. Concern. 12b37 was an old attempt to treat this clutch shudder concern but did not clear the adaptive strategies. I am a ford technician. My wife has a 2013 focus 800 miles and it grinds. Had not encountered any of these concerns in the shop until two weeks ago. Now I have half a dozen. Not getting much from ford tech other than reprogramming to address clutch shudder. Nothing about the grinding sounds, that, Are Not normal. I have a 2012 Fiesta, same trans and no problems, matter of fact we have had no Fiesta concerns at the shop.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:33 PM   #335
ShanFocusFan
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115829
What I Drive: 2012 electric blue se

FF Reputation: 1 ShanFocusFan Good Standing Member
When did these issues start? I recently bought a 2012 se. It only has 10,000 km on it.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:49 PM   #336
MrFixit50
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanFocusFan View Post
When did these issues start? I recently bought a 2012 se. It only has 10,000 km on it.
Has 800 miles. Started with the grinding noise at 400 miles. Took it into the shop and reprogrammed pcm and tcm did nothing for the grinding noise. Other units in shop with same concern range from 3000 to 32000 miles. I would like to be able to tell my customers that Ford is working on a fix but as yet I don't have that confirmation.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:01 PM   #337
Sprint
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87069
What I Drive: 2012, Black, Focus Titanium Sedan

Points 126, Level 2
Points: 126, Level: 2 Points: 126, Level: 2 Points: 126, Level: 2
Level Up 52% Completed
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Sprint Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFixit50 View Post
Am wondering how you have made out with your trans. Concern. 12b37 was an old attempt to treat this clutch shudder concern but did not clear the adaptive strategies. I am a ford technician. My wife has a 2013 focus 800 miles and it grinds. Had not encountered any of these concerns in the shop until two weeks ago. Now I have half a dozen. Not getting much from ford tech other than reprogramming to address clutch shudder. Nothing about the grinding sounds, that, Are Not normal. I have a 2012 Fiesta, same trans and no problems, matter of fact we have had no Fiesta concerns at the shop.
Hello:

Since my clutch replacement in November I have not heard any grinding at all and I've been listening carefully. I thought I might hear something once the warm weather started but it's still fine (I have a long wall near me that I can drive beside to get a good listen to the shift changes). I had the reprogramming as well before the clutch change - did nothing for the bad shifting. The only difference in my car after that replacement was a slight shudder from time to time at idle, and, I feel that the shift points in the transmission may have changed slightly after the replacement. My milage did not change after the repair (from excellent to poor depending on how you drive). The shifting "clicks" are still there but that is normal for this dct.

I have a year left on the warranty so I'm keeping a close eye (ear!). I've driven about 8k Km on the new clutches (my 12 Ti now has 22k Km on it). I'm surprised the 13s are having this issue as well - a few months ago when I was posting on this board regularly it did not seem like many 13s were having the issue (makes me worry if mine will hold long term).

I've not been on this board for a while so I'll repeat the mantra I was posting here before:
- grinding + bad shifts are not normal on a dct - common sense - it's a serious issue (my tech told me that my old clutch assembly internals were "shredded" (I'm a careful driver so there was no kind of abuse going on here other than what the car was doing to itself)).
- Ford knows all about this issue - there are 1000s of posts about it here alone and a Ford CS rep monitors this board. "It's normal" is not an acceptable answer.
- My dealer was proactive and fixed it under warranty - I don't see why others' dealers can't do the same and support the work their techs need to do on this issue. Many seem to be doing that now.
- I sensed that the tech that took care of me was personally motivated to solve this issue and I believe he did a great job on the repair (I don't know but it may be that the level of skill exercised in the repair might dictate how well it lasts as well).

Despite this issue, I really like this car still 2 years after buying it new.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #338
MrFixit50
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint View Post
Hello:

Since my clutch replacement in November I have not heard any grinding at all and I've been listening carefully. I thought I might hear something once the warm weather started but it's still fine (I have a long wall near me that I can drive beside to get a good listen to the shift changes). I had the reprogramming as well before the clutch change - did nothing for the bad shifting. The only difference in my car after that replacement was a slight shudder from time to time at idle, and, I feel that the shift points in the transmission may have changed slightly after the replacement. My milage did not change after the repair (from excellent to poor depending on how you drive). The shifting "clicks" are still there but that is normal for this dct.

I have a year left on the warranty so I'm keeping a close eye (ear!). I've driven about 8k Km on the new clutches (my 12 Ti now has 22k Km on it). I'm surprised the 13s are having this issue as well - a few months ago when I was posting on this board regularly it did not seem like many 13s were having the issue (makes me worry if mine will hold long term).

I've not been on this board for a while so I'll repeat the mantra I was posting here before:
- grinding + bad shifts are not normal on a dct - common sense - it's a serious issue (my tech told me that my old clutch assembly internals were "shredded" (I'm a careful driver so there was no kind of abuse going on here other than what the car was doing to itself)).
- Ford knows all about this issue - there are 1000s of posts about it here alone and a Ford CS rep monitors this board. "It's normal" is not an acceptable answer.
- My dealer was proactive and fixed it under warranty - I don't see why others' dealers can't do the same and support the work their techs need to do on this issue. Many seem to be doing that now.
- I sensed that the tech that took care of me was personally motivated to solve this issue and I believe he did a great job on the repair (I don't know but it may be that the level of skill exercised in the repair might dictate how well it lasts as well).

Despite this issue, I really like this car still 2 years after buying it new.
TSB 13-04-05 will update the pcm and tcm programs and will instruct the tech. to re-teach areas in the trans. FSA (field service action---NOT ford special annoucement as stated in another thread) 12b37 used older software and did not do this reteaching. This is the most current approach from ford to address the clutch shudder and shift point concerns. This DOES NOT address the grinding noises. Glad yours were resolved. I will pass this info on to our guys that do the hardware repairs.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:13 PM   #339
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,791, Level 32
Points: 2,791, Level: 32 Points: 2,791, Level: 32 Points: 2,791, Level: 32
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 27%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%
FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
I scheduled an appointment for this Saturday concerning the grinding I've had for the last 25k miles. I currently have 57k miles, so this is my last chance to get it fixed without paying my $50 deductible. Wish me luck!
Old 06-26-2013, 06:11 PM   #340
gostinger
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 44867
What I Drive: 2013 SE Black Pack Loaded 5 Spd MTX

FF Reputation: 1 gostinger Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
I scheduled an appointment for this Saturday concerning the grinding I've had for the last 25k miles. I currently have 57k miles, so this is my last chance to get it fixed without paying my $50 deductible. Wish me luck!
Good Luck Man from Canada our thoughts and prayers are with you

Bookmarks & Social Networks