2012 Focus SE Transmission Grinding - Page 33 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-26-2013, 06:28 PM   #321
TrevorCurington
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 113893
What I Drive: 2012 Gray Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 TrevorCurington Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
New to the forum, but I found it by looking up the same exact problem as everyone else. This forum came up as the top results on Google.

I have been having the grinding issues between 1st and 2nd gear since about miles 17,000. I brought it in around mile 18,000 and they said it was just normal transmission sounds and gave me some piece of paper that said it just needs time to break in and stuff about it being normal sounds. But I was at 18,000 miles. I would think everything has already been broken in by now. And it sure didn't sound normal to me...

Now I'm at 23,000 miles and I just took my car in again on Monday because the grinding was getting worse. I told them about the Throwout Bearings and burnt up clutch issues that everyone on this forum was talking about. I haven't gotten any details on what was wrong exactly, but they did say they have to replace the clutch assembly. And unfortunately they are on backorder right now so I'm without my Focus for a few weeks...

And on a side note, I'm also on my 3rd Navigation/touch screen. Had issues with it completely turning off and not coming back on among many other issues. Now on my 3rd unit and the GPS does not work, it runs super slow with it completely freezing half the time, and bluetooth connection issues with my phone so I can't even use the features more than half the time.

I was attracted to the technology and looks of this car. But I'm ready to trade it in after many visits to Ford.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #322
TrevorCurington
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 113893
What I Drive: 2012 Gray Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 TrevorCurington Good Standing Member
Also, just a quick question. Has anyone with these problems find a fix that actually works? Seems like everyone gets it fixed and then the problems just keep coming back. Even read where people have gotten completely new transmissions and the grinding comes back. Sounds like there's no long term fix to me at the moment.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:59 PM   #323
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict

Fan#: 111167
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Titanium DCT Dilemma

FF Reputation: 1 Tubeway Army Good Standing Member
There is no"Fix"...Ford says that the noises are normal. The only corrective action is to dump the car or live with the quirks.

A few people did the lemon path as well..

Sent from my SGH-T679 using FF Mobile
Old 05-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #324
sdwcam01
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 106567
What I Drive: 2013 White Platinum Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 sdwcam01 Good Standing Member
Good news! (Hopefully).

I spoke with a dealer yesterday who had a focus sitting in their service department. I asked him what was wrong with it and he said transmission problems. However, he told me there is a new fix for it, but it takes about 4 days.

The problem is, I called ford and asked them what the fix was and they had no idea what I was talking about, and, of course, the service departmens are all closed on a Saturday.

I’m going to call back Tuesday morning and see what they are doing, or what the number is. If anyone has any information, let us know!

Thanks,
Old 05-25-2013, 03:23 PM   #325
Jomax
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 95104
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium pearl white

FF Reputation: 1 Jomax Good Standing Member
My sisters focus is having tranny problems. Acts like the clutches are shot. When you accelerate it takes awhile for it to go. Then all of a sudden it goes.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:39 PM   #326
sdwcam01
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomax View Post
My sisters focus is having tranny problems. Acts like the clutches are shot. When you accelerate it takes awhile for it to go. Then all of a sudden it goes.
They are going to tell you that is normal because that is what a manual does. I just asked about that yesterday.
Does it also “teeter/rock” when it shifts gears?
Old 05-28-2013, 07:17 PM   #327
vossfamily05
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114136
What I Drive: 2013 Racer Red SE

FF Reputation: 1 vossfamily05 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwcam01 View Post
Good news! (Hopefully).

I spoke with a dealer yesterday who had a focus sitting in their service department. I asked him what was wrong with it and he said transmission problems. However, he told me there is a new fix for it, but it takes about 4 days.

The problem is, I called ford and asked them what the fix was and they had no idea what I was talking about, and, of course, the service departmens are all closed on a Saturday.

I’m going to call back Tuesday morning and see what they are doing, or what the number is. If anyone has any information, let us know!

Thanks,
did you find out what the fix is?????
Old 05-29-2013, 11:23 PM   #328
kateagray
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115217
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 kateagray Good Standing Member
Having the grinding noise in the transmission as it sounds a lot of other folks are experiencing. I'm going in tomorrow for the 3rd time. Last time (April) they told me the Engineering Dept at Ford was aware of the problem but there was no fix so they sent me on my merry way. How nice. Time before that the bearrings needed to be replaced and they had my car for over 2 weeks. Time before that (first time bringing it in) they acted like I was a silly girl and practically patted my head and told me it was normal. I am a girl, but I'm not stupid so now I'm back for the 3rd time. I recently contacted Ford Customer Service and they started a case number for me. They say I should be receiving a call by tomorrow (we'll see). I'm really bummed because I thought I was being oh so supportive by buying American and now I feel like I should have listened to my friends when they told me what FORD stood for...use your imagination...
Old 05-30-2013, 09:13 AM   #329
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict

Fan#: 111167
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Titanium DCT Dilemma

FF Reputation: 1 Tubeway Army Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kateagray View Post
Having the grinding noise in the transmission as it sounds a lot of other folks are experiencing. I'm going in tomorrow for the 3rd time. Last time (April) they told me the Engineering Dept at Ford was aware of the problem but there was no fix so they sent me on my merry way. How nice. Time before that the bearrings needed to be replaced and they had my car for over 2 weeks. Time before that (first time bringing it in) they acted like I was a silly girl and practically patted my head and told me it was normal. I am a girl, but I'm not stupid so now I'm back for the 3rd time. I recently contacted Ford Customer Service and they started a case number for me. They say I should be receiving a call by tomorrow (we'll see). I'm really bummed because I thought I was being oh so supportive by buying American and now I feel like I should have listened to my friends when they told me what FORD stood for...use your imagination...
Welcome to the club, where our numbers are growing on a daily basis. My car is just over 3K and none of my problems have gone away, been to the dealer 2 times now. They applied a TSB on the last visit, I felt no improvement not sure what's next. I will probably be dumping it in due time for something else, would not rule out another Ford because aside from the DCT it's a nice car.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:30 AM   #330
sdwcam01
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

No, there is no fix, turns out the focus I saw didn’t exist.. …I called back and the service tech on duty who said they never had a ford focus (which was sitting right there when I was at the dealership 4 days prior). The want me to bring it in to be looked at (guess they want my warranty’s money) That’s fine and dandy if they weren’t 2.5 hours away and I work…

Oh, Ford doesn’t know there is a problem, after calling and talking to them…
They said they have never heard of this issue.

Back to the local dealership…

Bookmarks & Social Networks