2012 Focus SE Transmission Grinding - Page 30 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-18-2013, 08:21 PM   #291
Sprint
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87069
What I Drive: 2012, Black, Focus Titanium Sedan

Points 127, Level 2
Points: 127, Level: 2 Points: 127, Level: 2 Points: 127, Level: 2
Level Up 54% Completed
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Sprint Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strix View Post
Not that I've seen. Unless by 'help' you mean telling you that there's nothing they can do if the dealership says it's normal.

It's not 'worn out prematurely' if it makes it to the end of the warranty period. That's all that matters to Ford.

You'll need it.
And the point of your post is .... ?
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2013, 08:34 PM   #292
Strix
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85696
What I Drive: Not a Ford

Points 534, Level 10
Points: 534, Level: 10 Points: 534, Level: 10 Points: 534, Level: 10
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 0 Strix Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint View Post
And the point of your post is .... ?
I made several points there, I'm sorry you missed them.

I'll recap for you:

1) Ford's Customer Service reps are not very helpful (in my experience).

2) If Ford manages to push warranty claims down the road until the car is no longer in warranty, they win.

3) I too, wish the OP 'good luck' in getting their car fixed. It seems pretty obvious from reading people's stories here that luck plays a major role in getting your car fixed, which is why I say that they will need it.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:10 PM   #293
Sprint
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87069
What I Drive: 2012, Black, Focus Titanium Sedan

Points 127, Level 2
Points: 127, Level: 2 Points: 127, Level: 2 Points: 127, Level: 2
Level Up 54% Completed
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Sprint Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strix View Post
I made several points there, I'm sorry you missed them.

I'll recap for you:

1) Ford's Customer Service reps are not very helpful (in my experience).

2) If Ford manages to push warranty claims down the road until the car is no longer in warranty, they win.

3) I too, wish the OP 'good luck' in getting their car fixed. It seems pretty obvious from reading people's stories here that luck plays a major role in getting your car fixed, which is why I say that they will need it.
Ya - I got that - I thought though, that I might have missed something constructive to the discussion lurking between the lines.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:14 PM   #294
tamAtFord
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 111610
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 tamAtFord Good Standing Member
Thanks for the advice. I'll get in touch with their service rep and see how this goes... Hope I'm lucky!
Old 03-19-2013, 07:04 AM   #295
Strix
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85696
What I Drive: Not a Ford

Points 534, Level 10
Points: 534, Level: 10 Points: 534, Level: 10 Points: 534, Level: 10
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 0 Strix Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint View Post
Ya - I got that - I thought though, that I might have missed something constructive to the discussion lurking between the lines.
Oh, I'm sorry.

To the OP: Take it back to the dealership. Take it to another dealership. Get Ford Customer Service involved.

Is that 'constructive' enough?
Old 03-29-2013, 09:35 PM   #296
sdwcam01
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 106567
What I Drive: 2013 White Platinum Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 sdwcam01 Good Standing Member
More issues...

It’s been a while, just checking in with old and new issues.

The car had been grinding off and on with the heat/cool, still not consistent enough to bring it to the dealer for service though, and my new intake is a little louder than the engine. Moreover, it is usually a quick “brrt” of less than a second.

I did have other questions/concerns though: has anyone noticed strange sounds when going over bumpy roads or speed bumps? I know the shocks/struts are going to make noise, but does anyone hear a sound like it something is loose or rattling around? I thought it was my battery cover because it was loose, but I fixed that. Now, when I hit speed bumps or drive on bumpy roads, it makes a loud thud, and I am driving slowly in either of these conditions– basically, idling over them. In addition, the interior prices are starting to rattle, namely, the passenger’s seatbelt cover piece, the headliner, and something near the center speaker or right near the windshield, and I only have 3800 miles…

OH! I found out my car rolls backwards on slight and, of course, large inclines while in drive. Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t this an issue before that was supposedly “fixed?” I found out in Hollywood when I almost ran into some expensive cars behind me on a hill – I had to two-foot the brake and gas. When I got home, I tested it out in my driveway, which is barely an incline, and it rolled back 5-7 feet from where the asphalt meets the concrete while idling.

Is anyone else noticing these issues?
Old 03-29-2013, 10:17 PM   #297
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict

Fan#: 111167
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Lemon

Points 2,284, Level 28
Points: 2,284, Level: 28 Points: 2,284, Level: 28 Points: 2,284, Level: 28
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 0 Tubeway Army Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwcam01 View Post
It’s been a while, just checking in with old and new issues.

The car had been grinding off and on with the heat/cool, still not consistent enough to bring it to the dealer for service though, and my new intake is a little louder than the engine. Moreover, it is usually a quick “brrt” of less than a second.

I did have other questions/concerns though: has anyone noticed strange sounds when going over bumpy roads or speed bumps? I know the shocks/struts are going to make noise, but does anyone hear a sound like it something is loose or rattling around? I thought it was my battery cover because it was loose, but I fixed that. Now, when I hit speed bumps or drive on bumpy roads, it makes a loud thud, and I am driving slowly in either of these conditions– basically, idling over them. In addition, the interior prices are starting to rattle, namely, the passenger’s seatbelt cover piece, the headliner, and something near the center speaker or right near the windshield, and I only have 3800 miles…

OH! I found out my car rolls backwards on slight and, of course, large inclines while in drive. Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t this an issue before that was supposedly “fixed?” I found out in Hollywood when I almost ran into some expensive cars behind me on a hill – I had to two-foot the brake and gas. When I got home, I tested it out in my driveway, which is barely an incline, and it rolled back 5-7 feet from where the asphalt meets the concrete while idling.

Is anyone else noticing these issues?
Can't help you with the rolling back on hills, they don't exist here but I have experienced a little of this on some slight inclines in parking garages. I find by putting it into sport mode it's less prone to this or select shift and give it plenty of gas, but I drove manuals for years in hilly terrain elsewhere so I am use to the rolling back deal and how to handle it. That being said I am concerned in letting my wife drive my car since she never drove a manual.

Grinding you say, well my grinds on hot days and less on cold, I took it in once at 500 miles or so, going to take it in again at 1500, they just told me it's normal and said I need to give it time to break in.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:11 PM   #298
sdwcam01
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 106567
What I Drive: 2013 White Platinum Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 sdwcam01 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeway Army View Post
Can't help you with the rolling back on hills, they don't exist here but I have experienced a little of this on some slight inclines in parking garages. I find by putting it into sport mode it's less prone to this or select shift and give it plenty of gas, but I drove manuals for years in hilly terrain elsewhere so I am use to the rolling back deal and how to handle it. That being said I am concerned in letting my wife drive my car since she never drove a manual.

Grinding you say, well my grinds on hot days and less on cold, I took it in once at 500 miles or so, going to take it in again at 1500, they just told me it's normal and said I need to give it time to break in.
Mine has been grinding since about 800 miles or so, and they also told me it was normal. However, I when I contacted Ford directly, they told me it was not normal and that I should take it to the dealer immediately. Well, I did and they “reflashed” the transmission software. About .1 miles away from the dealership, it did it again.

The problems is, is that it has been colder here and it hasn’t really done It consistently since then, minus a few off and on times, but like I said it’s not consistent enough to get them to hear it.

About it rolling backwards, I was doing some searching and I believe it is supposed to have an automated Hill Assist System in it (I have to check the owner’s manual). It is supposed to engage the brakes and engine pressure on any hill over 4 degrees to stop it from rolling backwards. Again, I’ll see if mien is equipped with that, but I still think it is something that it shouldn’t do.

As for my other questions: have you had any interior pieces rattling or strange rattling from the engine area?
Old 04-09-2013, 05:58 AM   #299
geeksquadagent
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 113231
What I Drive: 2013 Yellow Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 geeksquadagent Good Standing Member
Thumbs down

Well this is the second time I've been to this forum, but the first time I'm posting. Just to let you guys know, after 18,500 miles, the noise will not go away. The service tech told me at 500 miles to let it break in, but it's still here almost 1.5 years later. I'm actually taking the car back to the dealership because I have a 6 year service plan and finding out what can be done. Yes the symptoms are as everyone says, rattle/grind noise from first to second, only happens at certain accelleration speed/certain rpm's. I'll post back to see what's going to be done about it, but clearly if gears 2-6 aren't doing it 1-2 shouldn't either...
Old 04-09-2013, 03:05 PM   #300
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,230, Level 35
Points: 3,230, Level: 35 Points: 3,230, Level: 35 Points: 3,230, Level: 35
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 28%
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeksquadagent View Post
Well this is the second time I've been to this forum, but the first time I'm posting. Just to let you guys know, after 18,500 miles, the noise will not go away. The service tech told me at 500 miles to let it break in, but it's still here almost 1.5 years later. I'm actually taking the car back to the dealership because I have a 6 year service plan and finding out what can be done. Yes the symptoms are as everyone says, rattle/grind noise from first to second, only happens at certain accelleration speed/certain rpm's. I'll post back to see what's going to be done about it, but clearly if gears 2-6 aren't doing it 1-2 shouldn't either...
Hi geeksquadagent,

Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, current mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I want to get your regional customer service manager involved so they can help.

Thanks!

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.