2012 Focus SE Transmission Grinding - Page 23 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-13-2012, 09:31 PM   #221
powermax
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105453
What I Drive: Ex 2012 Ford Focus Sedan SE

FF Reputation: 2 powermax Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravesfan85 View Post
Wanted to post on this. We ran into the shuddering/shaking issue a few weeks ago and took the car in. Reached 15000 miles when it started happening. Dealership found the problem with the transmission and applied 11-12-13. Car runs smooth again (as smooth as the DCT was anyway). Service advisor told me that we should see the plate assembly break-in by 6k-7k miles? Least thats what I took from the convo. But after reading this thread, I hope that I am not back before that...

On another note, I had a Nissan Sentra for a rental with a real automatic in it. After driving the Focus for over a year now I feel like something is wrong with the smoother automatic tranny!
The sentra uses a CVT (Continuously variable transmission) its like having only one gear, is the smoother of the trannys but very boring to drive.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2012, 01:05 AM   #222
sdwcam01
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 106567
What I Drive: 2013 White Platinum Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 sdwcam01 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ysteven View Post
Hey Scott, do you know the address of the manufacture? Also I have to find address of my regional representative, to file for relief under Lemon law. I told my dealer today that this is last time I am coming here. They submit my VIN to ford for work order. I have to wait for respond now. Also I would like to start paperwork, but can't find right address.
You need to see if your state has an arbitration law. If so, you will send ford a certified letter and ask them to buy to car back. If they refuse (or offer minimal money), you have to take them through arbitration and explain to someone what you want and why you want it.
The address for Ford is in the back of the owner’s manual or you can call customer relations and ask for it there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87astro View Post
I just bought a used 2012 Focus two weeks ago, this stuttering and now a grind noise between 1st and 2nd and having a loss of power going up any hills is pretty bad. I took it to a Ford dealer for "the works" and asked about it and was told since I didn't buy it from them it was my problem not theirs, including the peeling metal on my steering wheel that has sliced my finger, I'm starting to think this was a HUGE mistake. Wouldn't the 5 year 50,000 power train warranty cover the transmission even if its used? Any and all help is appreciated, thank you!
This really depends on how many miles are on the car. The warranty should transfer to you (what is remaining of it). As for the dealership telling you it’s not their problem; call ford and repot them – any ford vehicle under warranty (by Ford) has to be serviced by the dealership of your choice. I’d even go as far as calling the BBB and the FTC.
I’m tired of businesses taking our money and us getting shafted…if we just sit back they win. There are ways to fight the system and get it to work for us, who spend tens of thousands of dollars on a car.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:10 AM   #223
sdwcam01
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Wanted to post on this. We ran into the shuddering/shaking issue a few weeks ago and took the car in. Reached 15000 miles when it started happening. Dealership found the problem with the transmission and applied 11-12-13. Car runs smooth again (as smooth as the DCT was anyway). Service advisor told me that we should see the plate assembly break-in by 6k-7k miles? Least thats what I took from the convo. But after reading this thread, I hope that I am not back before that...

On another note, I had a Nissan Sentra for a rental with a real automatic in it. After driving the Focus for over a year now I feel like something is wrong with the smoother automatic tranny!
I would be careful with this situation, very careful. 6-7k for a break-in? I know here is CA, if you break 18k; you are no longer eligible for the lemon law. I’m not spreading conspiracies, but that’s a lot of miles considering the only thing our manuals say is something about break-in being a 1000 miles if the clutch is replaced.

I have a little over 1200 miles and my clutch sounds worse and worse with the heat – a few more days I’m letting the local dealership have it; if it is not fixed, ford gets to buy my car back or go through arbitration.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:01 PM   #224
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,298, Level 35
Points: 3,298, Level: 35 Points: 3,298, Level: 35 Points: 3,298, Level: 35
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04SVTF303 View Post
These interactions are nothing but a waste of time...
I’m sorry I didn’t see your reply sooner, 04SVTF303. I know Bart is dedicated to getting this fixed. Please drop a line if you want more information forwarded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by middie8 View Post
Update: I got my car back last night. The dealer replaced the clutch, and two seals. It drives well (for now)...
middie8,

I wanted to check on your ride after the last dealer visit. Fill me in on how you’re shifting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cassandra View Post
...See Cory here at this board to have your issue escalated, you CAN get this fixed if you are pro-active...
Thanks a lot for the recommendation, mr_cassandra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ysteven View Post
...Cory would be nice if you can step in...
Ysteven,

I arranged for you to be called and sent you a reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
...I've been on a lot of business trips and now I'm on vacation so I haven't really gotten through with submitting all of my paperwork. But I'm working on it.
I still have your info from before, PratoN; drop me a line and I’ll arrange for Jeff to get a hold of you.

Quote:
...Dealership found the problem with the transmission and applied 11-12-13. Car runs smooth again...
bravesfan85,

It’s great to see your dealer took care of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87astro View Post
I just bought a used 2012 Focus two weeks ago, this stuttering and now a grind noise between 1st and 2nd and having a loss of power going up any hills is pretty bad...
Welcome to the forum, 87astro! I want to offer my assistance by escalating this up the line to your regional CSM. Please send me a PM with your dealer info, VIN, full name, best daytime phone number, and mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwcam01 View Post
...I have a little over 1200 miles and my clutch sounds worse and worse with the heat...
sdwcam01,

I see you have a follow-up from Lynn already scheduled. Let me know if you want a call sooner.

Cory

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 12-19-2012, 12:35 AM   #225
sdwcam01
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Yesterday was my local dealer service – it was…uneventful. They had the car for 3.5 hours and said they could not duplicate my complaint of the grinding. They also said that ford had them do five or six things (they didn’t specify) – to include a transmission relearning. Well, within 3 stop and goes, the sound was back – it took me less than 10 minutes of driving to hear it again. I grabbed my wife from the house and let her hear it too, to confirm I wasn’t crazy – apparently I’m not because she heard it too.

At least I didn’t get the “oh, that’s normal” speech.

Next step – CSR..again.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:42 PM   #226
87astro
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106795
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White Focus SE

Points 15, Level 1
Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1
Level Up 29% Completed
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 87astro Good Standing Member
Heading into the dealer first thing in the morning to get the transmission reprogrammed and have them look into the clutch grinding, I will post the results when they happen, if they don't get it fixed tomorrow morning, I will then utilize the Ford Customer Service Rep here on the forums
Old 12-22-2012, 11:48 PM   #227
sdwcam01
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

OK. I’m not getting my hopes up, but it seems the transmission relearn is somewhat working. However, it has been a lot colder here and it only grinds when it is warm. So, we will see.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:34 AM   #228
Tarzanalog
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94513
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Focus SEL HB

FF Reputation: 1 Tarzanalog Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by aghadiry View Post
Even after talking to Ford, the dealership called me saying nothing can be done about it as there is no fix from Ford.

I dont see how that is the case since Tarzanalog had the issue fixed in this post: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...1&postcount=17

There is no way this issue is not causing any long-term damage. I'm afraid Ford will find a fix right around the time the warranty runs out.

Anyone else have any ideas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by umbrage View Post
On Tuesday, I took my SE hatchback in for the 12B37 FSA. I told them about the 1-2 shift noise while dropping off the car. I've been experiencing this for almost the life of the car, over 1750 miles (and have posted in another thread about it). When they called back on Wednesday, the service manager said, "We applied the update, but they didn't hear any noises coming from the transmission." I was very, very skeptical that a software flash solved it, and was told that if I waited until Thursday morning to pick the car up, I could take a test drive with someone to point out exactly what my concerns were.

Of course the first shift the car makes pulling out of the garage, I hear the grind. And every. single. 1-2 shift. after that.

The technician, however, just kept leaning and leaning towards the center of the cabin, straining to hear anything out of the ordinary. I don't know how anyone can miss the sound of a blender coming out of the bottom of my car, but perhaps it's a testament to 1) how well car owners can notice things about their cars, and 2) the soundproofing in the cabin.

Finally I stop in the middle of the street, next to some concrete traffic barriers, and I say, "Okay, let's try this. Roll down your window." I start to roll forward, and as it shifts from 1 to 2, this fantastic

KRRRRRRRRRRANK!

comes ripping from under my car and fills the cabin. The technician looks visibly shocked and says, "Okay...do that again." With the barriers reflecting the sound back, it was undeniable there was a not-good noise coming from my car.

They take the car back and say they'll look at it again. I get a call this afternoon from the service manager, and he gives me the following bullet points:
  • I'm not going to get the car back before the holiday weekend.
  • They can only repro the sound "intermittently".
  • The computer is not registering any error codes (which is not shocking).
  • They have contacted "Ford Engineering" to get more information and are still trying to figure out the problem.
I'm a little bummed that the car is unavailable over the weekend (I'm having to rent a Zipcar tomorrow morning to take my girlfriend to a doctor's appointment), but at least they're trying to fix the issue. I just wish there was a way I could the technicians a link to the YouTube video showing the exact problem, as well as Tarzanalog's experience with the throwout bearing replacement.

Have a great Memorial Day, everyone!
Sigh... I've been avoiding coming back to the forum since I've really been trying to give my dealership a shot at setting things right with my car, but I'm at the end of my rope, I think. Just to give everyone an update on MY 2012 Focus adventure... I've taken my car back to the dealer no less than 7 times since I got it... and every time for the transmission grinding, among other issues. The 12B37 FSA improved things for awhile and I thought that perhaps all of the problems were behind me, but gradually over time the grinding came back (most pronounced after at least an hour of driving... but always there) and frankly it's flat out embarrassing to drive.

I tried to ignore it for a long time, but it's gotten worse and since the weather turned cold again that, combined with other noises the car has developed (requiring the replacement of numerous suspension parts and now a defective cowling between the hood and windshield) I just couldn't take it any more. My dealership has now had my car for another week waiting on the replacement cowling part and who knows when I'm getting it back. Several days after they replaced the upper strut bushings a month ago (and after telling me that they drove my car and a new car off the lot to compare transmission noise and couldn't hear any difference) I had the car go from first to NEUTRAL (with the engine revving in the middle of an intersection and me slowing in the path of oncoming traffic) until the engine idled down enough to SLAM into 2nd gear moving me out of the way JUST in time to avoid an accident. I just don't trust this car anymore. I told my dealer this last week when I took it in again. I'll post back after the dealership calls. If they've done nothing to address my concerns related to the transmission this time... I'm tempted to tell them to keep it.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:44 PM   #229
middie8
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 45082
FF Reputation: 1 middie8 Good Standing Member
New Noise

Update: With over 1k miles done since the reapir, it is fair to say the clutch seal and clutch replacement have pretty much completely fixed the rough shifting between 1st and 2nd as well as that horrible grinding noise. However.....There is now a subtle noise that seems to be getting slowly more persistent. It seems to still be transmission related. I can only get it to happen when I get above 40 mph, but below 50 mph and you can start to hear it only when the car is decelerating. Most noticable between 1500 and 2k rpm. Thinking it may be the throwout bearing, since many of you have had that part replaced. Well anyway, the noise is now consistent enough that I will drop the car off on Wednesday, with New Years and all.

Happy Holidays Everyone!
Old 12-27-2012, 04:25 PM   #230
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Points 4,219, Level 41
Points: 4,219, Level: 41 Points: 4,219, Level: 41 Points: 4,219, Level: 41
Level Up 35% Completed
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%
Forum Activity 22%
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%
FF Reputation: 11 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by middie8 View Post
Thinking it may be the throwout bearing, since many of you have had that part replaced.
Are you sure that many people have had "the throwout bearing" replaced?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.