2012 Focus SE Transmission Grinding - Page 18 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-02-2012, 06:52 PM   #171
sdwcam01
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 106567
What I Drive: 2013 White Platinum Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 sdwcam01 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by powermax View Post
If it escalates we have a ford customer service person in this forum she is very helpful.

Just IM her here: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/member.php?u=79824
Thank you for the info. I saw her throughout the posts and was hoping she'll see that mine is having problems as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 10:34 PM   #172
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Points 3,770, Level 38
Points: 3,770, Level: 38 Points: 3,770, Level: 38 Points: 3,770, Level: 38
Level Up 80% Completed
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 11 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwcam01 View Post
It’s really normal, in any case, for a transmission to grind? I know I don’t know a whole lot about cars, but any grinding sound coming from my whole powertrain is unacceptable; grinding = something breaking or wearing down. It’s funny to hear someone say this normal...
A few thoughts:

1) What is often described as a "grinding noise coming from the transmission" (I am very familiar with the sound), is not grinding and it's not coming from the transmission.

2) Many people have had their clutch assembly replaced and reported that the noise stopped. As you know, the clutches are outside of the transmission.

3) My car is approx. 18 months old and has occasionally made this noise for as long as I've owned it. My belief is that there are probably no ill effects associated with this noise (certainly not with the transmission itself).
Old 12-02-2012, 10:48 PM   #173
InfinityCubed
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95846
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Metallic SE-Sport

FF Reputation: 1 InfinityCubed Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
A few thoughts:

1) What is often described as a "grinding noise coming from the transmission" (I am very familiar with the sound), is not grinding and it's not coming from the transmission.

2) Many people have had their clutch assembly replaced and reported that the noise stopped. As you know, the clutches are outside of the transmission.

3) My car is approx. 18 months old and has occasionally made this noise for as long as I've owned it. My belief is that there are probably no ill effects associated with this noise (certainly not with the transmission itself).
I have had my clutches replaced and the noise persists. It is loud, happens at least 85% of every stop/start, and the reason I have had my clutch replaced is because they took everything apart and saw that it was shredded to pieces.

My belief is that without correcting how the learning process is performed in the computer that controls the gear shifts, the clutch will continue to tear itself apart every 20,000 miles or so.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:49 PM   #174
sdwcam01
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Thnak you for the information. I am just cuirious if your RPM's flux as well when this noise is going on and if your car shudders (jerks)? Mine does.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:55 PM   #175
sdwcam01
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityCubed View Post
It is loud, happens at least 85% of every stop/start.
This is true for mine as well, when it was 65f earlier, it took it a few more miles to do it, but it made sure to make the noise after my first stop. However, when it was 75, it only took 3 miles and 3 stops to make the noise.
I am curious if this is some sort of heat problem, becuase if it is, when summer rolls around here it reaches 110 (and up) with no problem - I could imagine going half a mile and the clutches/xsmn quitting.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:07 PM   #176
Ysteven
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101029
What I Drive: 2012 oxford white sel, H2, F-150

FF Reputation: 1 Ysteven Good Standing Member
Quote:
This is true for mine as well, when it was 65f earlier, it took it a few more miles to do it, but it made sure to make the noise after my first stop. However, when it was 75, it only took 3 miles and 3 stops to make the noise.
I am curious if this is some sort of heat problem, becuase if it is, when summer rolls around here it reaches 110 (and up) with no problem - I could imagine going half a mile and the clutches/xsmn quitting.
Yes, it's more noticeable when hot out. Mine is less quite and shutters less when it's cold out. Look at some of my threads. I wouldn't worry about rattling sound, it's just clutches do that, trans itself is probably not getting damage as clutches are. After my clutch replaced it took 300 miles to come back to original problem, Iam at 13000 now, been struggling with this issue since was at 2500-3000miles, since my first oil change.
Good luck with yours. I gave up at this point, I am just never ever will buy ford anymore.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:17 PM   #177
sdwcam01
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ysteven View Post
Iam at 13000 now, been struggling with this issue since was at 2500-3000miles, since my first oil change.
ford anymore.
Well, since I have been noticing the problem more and more often (started at 600 miles and itís at 750), I have been looking everywhere for answers Ė this site seems to lead with what has been done. I am going to the dealership tomorrow and hope they will have a reasonable answer considering itís 2 hours away.

Otherwise, I was looking into the California lemon law and it seems to be a simple process of letting them try, letting Ford know I want it fixed in writing, and taking them through arbitration if nothing happens. I know Iím making it sound simple, but with 2 years of the same problem on these models, I donít think a reasonable arbitrator will argue that I am wrongÖhopefully.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:35 PM   #178
Ysteven
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101029
What I Drive: 2012 oxford white sel, H2, F-150

FF Reputation: 1 Ysteven Good Standing Member
Quote:
Well, since I have been noticing the problem more and more often (started at 600 miles and itís at 750), I have been looking everywhere for answers Ė this site seems to lead with what has been done. I am going to the dealership tomorrow and hope they will have a reasonable answer considering itís 2 hours away.

Otherwise, I was looking into the California lemon law and it seems to be a simple process of letting them try, letting Ford know I want it fixed in writing, and taking them through arbitration if nothing happens. I know Iím making it sound simple, but with 2 years of the same problem on these models, I donít think a reasonable arbitrator will argue that I am wrongÖhopefully.
Let us know how it goes.
By the way you might want to ask about MPG as well. Cause I can't explain why they went south. Good luck
Old 12-02-2012, 11:39 PM   #179
sdwcam01
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ysteven View Post
Let us know how it goes.
By the way you might want to ask about MPG as well. Cause I can't explain why they went south. Good luck
Actually, I've been stuck around 28 MPG city/highway, until yesterday when I got as high as 44, but stuck around 38 @ 65 MPH. After drving around town today, I dropped down to 35.

Is there a known issue with MPG as well that I am missing?
Old 12-02-2012, 11:44 PM   #180
sdwcam01
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

This is for California...

If the dealer won't help you adequately, turn to the manufacturer. Take these steps:

Write a letter to the manufacturer asking it to buy back your car. This letter should be sent via certified mail, with a return receipt requested, to the address listed in your vehicle owner's manual. If the manufacturer balks at repurchasing your vehicle, you have two options: Hire an attorney that specializes in Lemon Law, or ask the manufacturer if it has an arbitration program.

Check to see if the manufacturer offers an arbitration program by looking in your owner's manual, or by calling California's Consumer Affairs Hotline at (800) 952-5210. Request an application form and a copy of the manufacturer's arbitration program regulations. If you enter into arbitration, the manufacturer must schedule a hearing within 40 days. Now is the time to compile all your documents regarding the car's problem, including service reports, work orders, a copy of your warranty, and your calendar showing downtime for the vehicle. If at all possible, attend the arbitration hearing in person. You can either accept or reject the findings of the arbitration panel.

Should you decide to reject the offer, or if the panel finds against you, don't despair. If you are not satisfied with the results, you can always file a suit against the manufacturer through the courts. If you file a lawsuit, and the court rules in your favor, the manufacturer has 30 days to pay you. If you are uncertain how to proceed with a lawsuit, be sure to hire an attorney who is experienced with this type of action.

Bookmarks & Social Networks