Looking for Input.. - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Off-Topic Discussions > Military Fanatics

Military Fanatics A place dedicated to our members in uniform. Here you can hang out, share stories as well as keep us updated with day-to-day activities.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-08-2011, 01:46 PM   #1
WiscoGTI
Turböner

Fan#: 70225
What I Drive: 2002 VW GTI

FF Reputation: 32 WiscoGTI Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Looking for Input..

Ok, so long story shortened.. I've been in the Army reserves since Jan. '09. Never deployed. Now I just found out last week, that I've been on a permanent profile since Jan. of this year for my asthma. I was never informed (to my knowledge) and was just told about this. It has been affecting my 2 mile run.. pretty significantly. But whatever. I've been working through it.

Anyway.. they have me at a P3. And to my understanding are in the process of med boarding me. Now, as far as I know (and correct me if I'm wrong) a P3 basically means I'm getting med boarded either way. My UA said I could possibly get it reduced to a P2 to keep me in.. but that since I'm an MP I would probably have to reclass and would stay on my permanent, non-deployable profile.. Now, I joined the Army to be an MP.. nothing else. Theoretically I could reclass to a cook, mechanic or admin and stay with my unit.. but none of those MOS's intrigue me in the slightest.

So here's the pickle I'm in..

I either reclass (if forced) and stay in at a P2.. but never deploy. Which to me is pointless to stay in then. I'm just taking up a slot for no reason. It's like going to practice but knowing you'll never get to play in the game.

Or.. I don't fight the med board, and I just get out and keep my benefits. Which sounds like a good idea.. except it bothers me to get med boarded over asthma when people who lose limbs and have other severe, REAL problems get med boarded. I just feel like a bitch if I go out that way.. but what are my options?

I never intended to make a career out of this. And didn't plan on re-enlisting. I'm an E-4 btw.

Suggestions? Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2011, 01:50 PM   #2
drunkyoda
Hmmmmm

Fan#: 65151
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black LX

FF Reputation: 9 drunkyoda Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
sounds like you have no choice... cant really just get rid of your asthma... either way it sucks hard..
Old 12-08-2011, 04:53 PM   #3
WiscoGTI
Turböner

Yeah.. it's weaksauce.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:55 PM   #4
ah1f39
Alone in the Cave

Fan#: 70006
What I Drive: 2000 Explorer 4x4

FF Reputation: 28 ah1f39 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Trust me it's not a "game". Not getting deployed to a real warzone isn't necassarily a bad thing. Rear line troops are needed too.

If you don't fight the med board and get out with an honorable discharge, you can use your GI Bill and College Fund to go to school and get on with the rest your life.

If you don't plan on making a carreer of the service get out and go to school.

There is nothing dishonorable about your situation. Be proud that you volunteered to serve even for a short time.

Last edited by ah1f39; 12-08-2011 at 08:49 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:24 PM   #5
WiscoGTI
Turböner

I apologize.. I definitely did not mean to make war out to be a game. Guess I should have used a better analogy. I just meant that getting deployed is what I joined for. So if I can't..

But I definitely hear what you're saying..
Old 12-08-2011, 08:45 PM   #6
6SPD_soul
Focus Addict

Fan#: 53637
What I Drive: 2003 Comp Orange EAP SVT

FF Reputation: 24 6SPD_soul Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
There are a ton of dual status jobs available almost exclusively to reserve troops, you should stay in if you can and try to find a niche there. They all pay a living wage right away and you just have to stay enlisted. Around $18 an hour to start for every kind of job, and that was 3 years ago. Might be less now considering how America is generally , but whatever, the jobs are there.

Making a living is more important than saying you deployed, if you can stay in and you can tolerate the bullshit, you should try to do it. FT. McCoy and Volk Field both probably have a bunch of dual status jobs.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:32 PM   #7
WiscoGTI
Turböner

Yeah.. my recruiter did tell me to lie about it.

But from what I've been told.. if I never had a prescription inhaler for it (which I didn't) I should be fine on that end. But we'll see I guess.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:46 PM   #8
DarkSpork
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 81461
What I Drive: 2013 VW GTI

FF Reputation: 1 DarkSpork Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goinloco1 View Post
Sorry to hear. But my question would be how did you even get in with asthma? It's an automatic disqualifier.
If you knew you had it before doing the paperwork I hope to god your recruiter didn't tell you to say no to it.
Its not something you suddenly have and the army knows that.
I know two people got med boarded out of the Air Force for asthma. I know two who stayed in but are non-deployable, but they can pass their run. So in total, that's 4 people I know, who somehow "developed" asthma while in the military. I don't think it's too uncommon.

But I agree with what's already been said. If you don't want to re-class and you're being offered a medical separation I'd take it. If you have enough time in service, use your GI Bill to get your degree and get a good job.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:35 PM   #9
WiscoGTI
Turböner

Thanks everyone for all your input.

I think I may take the med board and use my GI Bill to get my degree.. but I'm still not 100%.

And another question. Does anyone know how a med board from the military would affect someone who wants a career in law enforcement? There's plenty of overweight cops out there. So I'm hoping that wouldn't kill my chances to be a cop.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:32 PM   #10
GO.army.1969
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 69605
What I Drive: 2008 Vapor Silver Coupe 5 speed

FF Reputation: 15 GO.army.1969 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Wow that sucks man I have asthma and I use an inhaler never got a profile for it just got back from a deployment. You need to talk with your Doc about this you should have known about your profile. Also look at your AKO it shows your medical readyness
NW Posse#10 Team Duratec#69
F2 Header, Steath Exhaust, CAI, AR103, Tuned by Randy Fswerks, DGR Coil Overs
DOMINANT front and rear LCA DOMINANT endlinks Massive toe and camber arms

Bookmarks & Social Networks