How to turn off traction control? S model - Page 7 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-25-2012, 03:34 PM   #61
JL330
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99616
What I Drive: 2012 silver focus S

FF Reputation: 1 JL330 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I pulled the fuse but I won't feel safe driving down the interstate without it. I'll put it in on the road and work on a switch. Where is a good place to bring the wires through the firewall?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2012, 06:16 PM   #62
Shade-010
Sonic Crew # 010

Fan#: 87369
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE Sport - 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 9 Shade-010 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supramk3 View Post
I went with what my credit allowed and what my pocket allowed. I have bills ya know.

Sent from the HO KID network using FF Mobile
Thats understandable, we all got those, well not all of us, But I know I can relate... sometimes the dealers will negotiate to get you what you want, but some sure won't.
http://www.rebeldevil.com
Old 12-25-2012, 06:18 PM   #63
Shade-010
Sonic Crew # 010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL330 View Post
I pulled the fuse but I won't feel safe driving down the interstate without it. I'll put it in on the road and work on a switch. Where is a good place to bring the wires through the firewall?
Sounds like you will probably have to drill a hole. I wouldn't even mess with it, you might disable more then the T/C, making it very unsafe... you do want to make it home safe right?
Old 12-25-2012, 07:34 PM   #64
NightAngel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97694
What I Drive: 2012, Sterling Gray, Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 NightAngel Good Standing Member
how about using something like the wild to mild kits for corvette exhaust. If i'm not mistaken aren't they just a simple plug in fuse that you can turn off.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:58 PM   #65
JL330
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99616
What I Drive: 2012 silver focus S

FF Reputation: 1 JL330 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang74shelby View Post
Sounds like you will probably have to drill a hole. I wouldn't even mess with it, you might disable more then the T/C, making it very unsafe... you do want to make it home safe right?
I'm home now, snow comes in the morning. I left Christmas early to miss driving through the blizzard. I'll work on rigging up a switch tomorrow.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:14 AM   #66
clogan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93793
What I Drive: 2008 Roushcharged F-150 Screw,

FF Reputation: 1 clogan Good Standing Member
Just an observation: I have driven perhaps a million miles in various vehicles of the past 45 years, and not once have I ever experienced a driving event where I felt my safety was in jeopardy due to lack of traction control or stability control. Not once... fifty or more vehicles, 45 years, a million miles. Not once. (well, except for a couple of times on motorcycles, but that's a different story, LOL)

However, I can recount several instances just in the past 5 years or so where I have been down right horrified at becoming a sitting duck due to the intrusive nature of TC. I'm darn lucky I haven't been broadsided after my engine quit due to detection of minute amounts of wheel spin.

I suppose I should appreciate our goverment's mandated "safety" features, but some are more difficult to appreciate than others. TC especially.

YMMV.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:48 AM   #67
Supramk3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96347
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver S 31.01.2012 BD

FF Reputation: 3 Supramk3 Good Standing Member
Agreed.

Sent from the HO KID network using FF Mobile
Old 12-26-2012, 10:58 AM   #68
Shade-010
Sonic Crew # 010

The biggest issue I have had with it, is hitting traffic circles to fast, sliding some, or when launching. Hard and running the gears (5 speed)
Old 12-26-2012, 12:03 PM   #69
MetalMuffins
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107135
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black Focus SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 MetalMuffins Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
TCS / ESC / ABS Over-ride Switch

Well I got some supplies the other day and managed to get a switch wired up to disable the TCS, ESC, and ABS. If you read one of my earlier posts in this thread, I have went over the effects of pulling the F19 5A fuse when driving. This is a short how-to if you want to wire up your own.
Sorry I did not take any pictures when installing, so these are all taken after the install was completed.

The switch is a simple on/off rocker switch. This must be wired into the fuse box via two wires that will run to the engine compartment through the fender. This I found was the easiest way to run the wires without modifying the car.

The switch is zip-tied to the wire running into the ambient lighting under the foot-well. This lets the rocker switch fit in between the kick panel on the side and the heat vent. It is very out of the way and won't be kicked.

The switch is wired as follows. I wish I had taken a picture of how the switch was wired before installing, as this is the most confusing part of the install.
1) The first wire from the fuse box must be connected to the switch
2) Make a very short wire with two female spade connectors, this will run from the other pole of the switch to the 5A fuse that is zip tied to the side of the switch.
3) Connect the female spade connector on the second wire running back to the fuse box.

This is a picture showing the cabin where the wires are running through the fender. You can push the wires right into the engine compartment and around the back of the fuse box.

This picture shows the inside of the fuse box where the wires run into the box. You do not have to modify anything, but I recommend pushing the wires through from inside the fuse box. You have to remove the plug for the fuse box to do this, but can be done easily by lifting the blue lever. Note the is a small black tab that must be pushed aside to lift the lever.

You can remove the plastic holder for the three fuses that control the TCS/ESC and install the two main fuses by themselves.
I connected the wires to the F19 fuse connector with male spade connectors. You can cut them in half with strong wire cutters and file them smooth. This makes them the same size as ATM fuse prongs. You can see the hole where the wires run in the picture above.

The picture below shows everything closed up. You can see the wires running into the fender. They run around the top of the fuse box and enter under the main harness plug. Again, I recommend running the wires from inside the fuse box and than around the top and through the fender to the interior.

I have tested this and it works like a charm. Once again, I wouldn't recommend leaving the track control off for normal driving, and I feel the system does an OK job, but this will allow you to turn it off easily if you want / need to in a pinch.

Please let me know if you have any questions, and you can view all of the pictures I took here: http://s1305.beta.photobucket.com/us...ffins/library/

Last edited by MetalMuffins; 12-30-2012 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Fix Pictures
Old 12-26-2012, 12:12 PM   #70
MetalMuffins
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107135
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black Focus SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 MetalMuffins Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Also, it looks like none of the picture links are working... Any tips to make it work? Thanks

Bookmarks & Social Networks