Steeda Bump Steer Kit - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-06-2014, 01:36 PM   #1
GR34TWHI73N0RTH
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96598
What I Drive: 2012 Black SE Sport 5 Spd

FF Reputation: 1 GR34TWHI73N0RTH Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Steeda Bump Steer Kit

Steeda Focus Bump Steer Kit - 12-14

Fits all Mk3 NA & ST

Price : $179

Steeda just came out with these a few weeks ago, and I've had my eye on them for awhile. The roads in the hills around me can be lethal with some bumps and when changing to my Sportlines there was a noticeable difference in bump steer. So i decided to give these a try when Steeda had their labor day sale.

First Impression:

These are some solid made pieces, 100% metal, and includes 2 tie rod studs, 2 outer tie rods (they looked plastic online but they are not), 10x spacers. As usual with Steeda these are well crafted aftermarket tie rods.

Instal:

Ok so Steeda's directions are not hard to follow. I'm just going to add some photos and how i solved some problems i ran into.

Raise car & remove wheels.

First loosen the jam nut only back it off a bit and then grab you drivers license and put it in between the jam nut and outer tie rod. Tighten the jam nut so the DL is held in place, not to tight tho.

Then remove the nut holding the outer tie rod to the spindle.

OK so here is my major difference in the install, they recommend to hit hit the spindle with a hammer on the side, and fellow members said the same. However i could not get this to happen, after using 3 different hammers, hitting it from different recommended location, for about 2 hours, a friend loaned me a ball joint press (harbor freight). With this tool the tie rods popped out in 5 seconds, just buy the tool and save yourself some headache.

Then just instal the new Steeda tie rods. Its simple, i recommend pre-assembling the studs and rods. Don't tighten the nuts but it makes it easier to get the joint rotate with the studs in.

So attach the outer to the inner tie rods and grab you DL and twist on the outer until it makes contact with the jam nut. Make sure the inner tie rod doesn't rotate while you do this. Also make sure the indicated letters are facing down. Then tighten the jam nut.

Then put the stud through the spindle and torque it down to 40 ft.lb..

Ok don't tighten the bottom nut just yet just enough so everything holds, we will need this later to adjust it.

Repeat on the other side & put wheels back on and car back on the ground.

Instal is done, now for adjustment (DO NOT DRIVE the bottom nut is not torqued down yet or up its all relative).

Put the car up on ramp or blocks that have enough surface area so the car would sit normally. Your goal here is to make the Tie rods as parallel with lower control arm as possible. So undo the bottom nut we didn't tighten, and make sure not to lose anything there are 5 spacers for each side.

So how i did this and i wish i got photos but my phone died, was i took some string and tied it to the lower control arm and each end to make a strait line, since the control arm is slightly curved. i then just messed around with the spacers until when i measured the tie rod to the string it was pretty much the same at both ends. This is not perfect method it was just what i winged together (professional adjustment is still necessary). So i got it pretty parallel for Sportlines with putting one of the second smallest spacer (there are 2 of them on each side) on the bottom and the rest on the top. And then tighten the bottom nut to 50 ft.lb.. Do the same set up on the other side and your done.

Go get your self an alignment and enjoy.

Rally Revolution #333
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2014, 08:26 PM   #2
CunFFS13
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 117411
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Gray Ford Focus S MT

FF Reputation: 6 CunFFS13 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Sticky!
Moderator please!
And thank you @gr34...
Old 09-06-2014, 10:13 PM   #3
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 67 sailor Excellent Standing Member
And how does this change "bump steer"?

S.R. #275
Old 09-06-2014, 11:05 PM   #4
GR34TWHI73N0RTH
Focus Enthusiast

I like to think that they have portals for magic gnomes to come into you steering rack..., lol but they allow you to adjust the outer tie rods (vertically), to shape the geometry with the lower control arm and ..... etc

I refer you to: Steeda

Or SCIENCE!!!!

Or maybe Steeda can chime in?
Rally Revolution #333
Old 09-07-2014, 01:24 AM   #5
OldGray320i
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93808
What I Drive: 2012 SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 OldGray320i Good Standing Member
Best way I can explain it is your tie rods have to move at the same angles as your control arm(s) as the suspension moves through it's range of motion. Lowering the car beyond a certain point can cause the angles between the control arm and tie rod to be outside the range the designers mapped out.

All of which is based on the locations where the components pivot in the chassis mounts and steering "knuckles".

When outside the proper angles during suspension movement, your tie rod will fight to maintain the correct angles with the control arm - and since tie rods are your connection to the steering wheel, it will move it in directions that may be opposite your intended direction.

You'll notice the bump steer kit has the effect of lengthening the tie rod a bit as well as dropping it a little further down, creating a little more of a "parallel" effect in relation to the control arm.

Hope that helps!
Old 09-07-2014, 08:48 PM   #6
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 67 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Didn't notice vertical adjustment provided in a quick "eyeball" of the kit pictured. It looked like a kit to substitute Heim joints at the same location, which wouldn't have much effect.

Precisely parallel doesn't look optimum from the article linked, looks like a bit of fancy measurement would be needed to get a good idea what setting would actually help.

S.R. #275
Old 09-07-2014, 10:51 PM   #7
GR34TWHI73N0RTH
Focus Enthusiast

As i said in the OP:

Quote:
This is not perfect method it was just what i winged together (professional adjustment is still necessary).
The directions from Steeda say the same: Trial and Error on a rack until you notice as little change as possible in the toe from normal height and 1in compressed.
Rally Revolution #333
Old 09-08-2014, 02:45 PM   #8
OldGray320i
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93808
What I Drive: 2012 SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 OldGray320i Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Precisely parallel doesn't look optimum from the article linked, looks like a bit of fancy measurement would be needed to get a good idea what setting would actually help.
Yeah, "parallel" in quotes, but looking at the diagrams you get the idea. That particular relationship of the components within an operating range of the suspension; in keeping with the post above, even the bump steer kit requires a bit of trial and error unless you're fancy with math, "drafting", etc..., but I would think the addition of the kit should help in any case, even independent of tweaking it for maxium effect.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->