MK3 2012 Focus - Oil Change 101 - Page 5 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-02-2012, 08:14 AM   #41
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

Points 2,790, Level 32
Points: 2,790, Level: 32 Points: 2,790, Level: 32 Points: 2,790, Level: 32
Level Up 27% Completed
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by got3fords View Post
What difference does it make if it starts or not? Its going to take the same number of cranks to get the oil circulating whether the engine starts or not. In fact, I would think that after cranking without starting and not letting it build up pressure, the oil has a chance to drain back out of the pump, while waiting to actually start it.
Just crank it up for crying out loud. It'll prime right up, build pressure and be fine!
I think the idea is to have those cranks occur under low-stress conditions. The amount of force exerted on a crankshaft bearing at, say 100 rpm is going to be a small fraction of stresses at 1,500 rpm. So theoretically the cranks occurring at starter motor speed will result in less wear until oil pressure builds than the same number of cranks when the engine is running.

Does this make a real-world difference: who knows? On the other hand, it's nice to listen to less start-up clatter.

Last edited by dan50; 02-02-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #42
nibyak
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 25443
What I Drive: 2012, RedCandy, 5-Door, SE

FF Reputation: 1 nibyak Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by forceflow2 View Post
I just did my first oil change (on any car) following this guide. It was very easy although I had a couple of issues. Ordered the oil filter from Advance and went to pick it up. They gave me a 910 and assured me it was the exact same thing as the 910S, the S was just part of their part number, even though I saw one at Walmart and it actually said it was a 910S on the box and filter. Left and bought from Walmart. Next I took the filter off before draining the pan. Either there is always a lot of oil that spills out when removing the filter or that should be after draining. Lastly, the picture of the oil draining doesn't do justice to how far out it sprays at first, glad I had a mat down to catch it otherwise my driveway would have been a mess. Oh, also, I had to take the little brush guard thing off to get the cover off. Not sure how to do it otherwise.
As has been previously answered here, the S stands for Silicon ADBV. The silicon version is supposed to work better in the cold than the old rubber ones. Since the filter is located where it is, it doesnít really require any ADBV because the oil wonít drain back up into the engine. Iím still driving an 08 but may purchase a new Focus this summer. I currently have just over 140,000 miles my 08 and have changed the oil over 25 times on this one. I use the Motorcraft filter and the Motorcraft semi synthetic oil and have never had any problems. I use the same on my other 3 liter Ford which is now around 160,000 miles. Iíll probably be close to 180,000 miles when I get rid of my 08 Focus. The one thing that I do when I change the oil is poke a hole in the filter to keep down the mess when I unscrew it.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:17 AM   #43
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,829, Level 32
Points: 2,829, Level: 32 Points: 2,829, Level: 32 Points: 2,829, Level: 32
Level Up 53% Completed
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by josem View Post
Thanks PratoN. I was not aware of those american sites. I order via ebay or amazon or when travelling to the U.S.A.
I didn't even notice you were an Aussie. Don't I feel like a
Old 02-02-2012, 12:50 PM   #44
2012sel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84814
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SEL 5 door

FF Reputation: 10 2012sel Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by nibyak View Post
As has been previously answered here, the S stands for Silicon ADBV. The silicon version is supposed to work better in the cold than the old rubber ones. Since the filter is located where it is, it doesnít really require any ADBV because the oil wonít drain back up into the engine. Iím still driving an 08 but may purchase a new Focus this summer. I currently have just over 140,000 miles my 08 and have changed the oil over 25 times on this one. I use the Motorcraft filter and the Motorcraft semi synthetic oil and have never had any problems. I use the same on my other 3 liter Ford which is now around 160,000 miles. Iíll probably be close to 180,000 miles when I get rid of my 08 Focus. The one thing that I do when I change the oil is poke a hole in the filter to keep down the mess when I unscrew it.
Nice contribution. Thanks!
2000 F150 Sport 2000-2011 | 1988 Ranger XLT 4wd 1988 - 2000 | 1966 Mustang 1983 - 2008 | 1963 Ford Econoline Van 1979 - 1983
Old 02-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #45
jbird1955
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 48235
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black Ti Hatch

Points 788, Level 14
Points: 788, Level: 14 Points: 788, Level: 14 Points: 788, Level: 14
Level Up 88% Completed
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 jbird1955 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgc333 View Post
In the 40+ years I have been changing my own oil I have never pre-filled an oil filter. This included all through high school and college working in a garage where no one pre-filled oil filters

My vehicles all have gone 250-300k miles before I have gotten rid of them and I have never had an internal engine failure.

Certainly not a bad idea but I don't feel the benefit out weights the nuisance factor.
Consider yourself a very lucky man. Just think for a minute of the process that the lubrication system goes through, especially after an oil change. Before it lubricates anything in the engine it has to fill the element previous to supplying anywhere in the engine.

And THAT is oil change 101, precharge!!!
Old 02-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #46
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

Points 2,790, Level 32
Points: 2,790, Level: 32 Points: 2,790, Level: 32 Points: 2,790, Level: 32
Level Up 27% Completed
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird1955 View Post
Consider yourself a very lucky man. Just think for a minute of the process that the lubrication system goes through, especially after an oil change. Before it lubricates anything in the engine it has to fill the element previous to supplying anywhere in the engine.

And THAT is oil change 101, precharge!!!
Of course by precharging the oil filter the first dose of oil your engine receives is unfiltered. I guess we all assume the oil coming out of a bottle is absolutely pure, but industrial things can go wrong (and are you really sure that bottle you bought was unopened?). Then there's that 1/4 quart of leftover oil that's been sitting on the shelf for a year that seems just right for precharging the filter...
Old 02-04-2012, 07:07 AM   #47
CourtneyNYC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86057
What I Drive: 2010 - Sterling Gray&2012 White Ti

FF Reputation: 1 CourtneyNYC Good Standing Member
Just did the 2nd oil change. Rotate tires and went through the entire under carriage with a keen eye. All looks good. Averaging about 3,000 miles per month. Car is doing what I bought it to do and doing it well.

Concerns: The key with these things is keeping them as far from dealerships as possible. I've found a dealer that I am willing to work with but man do you have to keep a close eye on them. Their mindset is doing things as quickly as possible and getting the next car in. Doing something "right" doesn't ever register on their meter. They are nice folks who have been sucked into a poor service mindset.

Comments: I doubt the pre-chargin hurts anything but modern motors are started for the first time EVER with a coating of manufacturing lube. The moment the motor is started, actually within about 5 seconds, for the first time the entire oil tract is coated in oil. During my career doing testing and development of high performance motorcycles I had the chance to be involved with the development of a new motor (Helicon) with Rotax in Austria. During testing the motor was run (we tried different oils), then the oil was drained, the motor was started without oil and run at redline for an hour to see what kind of wear we got. Bottom line is that the current crop (I use Amsoil, but they are all great) of lubricants, both synthetic and non-syunthetic, are absolutely amazing. Technology has really benefited lubricants.

It's nothing more than my PERSONAL OPINION but, absent something totally absurd (tossing in a handful or grit) you couldn't hurt a modern motor if you tried.

Milegae is great, handling is great, tires (with 15,000) look like they're due for replacement soon and the Focus is performing pretty much marvelously.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:11 AM   #48
Zip60912
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 93826
What I Drive: 2012 White Titanium 4 dr

FF Reputation: 1 Zip60912 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by nibyak View Post
...The one thing that I do when I change the oil is poke a hole in the filter to keep down the mess when I unscrew it.
What a great idea ! I have always hated the mess when unscrewing the filter. What/how do you poke it?
Old 02-04-2012, 08:46 AM   #49
greg hazlett
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93486
What I Drive: 2012 Black Ford Focus SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 3 greg hazlett Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Very disappointed...went to Wal Mart to get the Motorcraft filter and they don't carry the 910's anymore...sigh.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:54 PM   #50
greg hazlett
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93486
What I Drive: 2012 Black Ford Focus SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 3 greg hazlett Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Changed the oil with 1300 on the clock to get the break in oil out and it came out like water.

Thanks for the write up, made the job a breeze!

Bookmarks & Social Networks