MK3 2012 Focus - Oil Change 101 - Page 41 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-20-2013, 03:39 PM   #401
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigeo View Post
Sarcasm. All of these oil folks that say that Ford's recommendations aren't correct and that you shouldn't follow them...they pay folks a lot of money for engineers to figure this stuff out...I tend to trust their recommendations.
They pay engineers not only to figure these things out, but also to weigh a cost-benefit analysis to Ford and create systems that will make compromises to suit many different people yet also be cost-effective for the company.

Oil is no different yet totally different than the wheels Ford chooses to install. Will the OEM wheels work for most consumers, be safe over a certain amount of mileage, and also be relatively inexpensive for the company? Absolutely. Are there better alternatives out there for the consumer that can meet OEM standards and them some? Absolutely.

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2013, 11:00 PM   #402
henryd1981
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114338
What I Drive: 2013 Black Focus SE HB

FF Reputation: 1 henryd1981 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by got3fords View Post
I will NEVER use a "quickie" oil change place again. Their quality of work sucks. Their knowledge of the vehicle and simple mechanical knowledge is severely lacking. Those places have made one too many SIMPLE yet potentially damaging mistakes for me to ever go back.
I tend to agree with that. I mainly go to the dealer, but even they are prone to mistakes. That happened to me at a Hyundai dealer when I took my previous car, a 2012 Elantra, for its first oil change. The oil filter ended up with a double-gasket because they didn't notice the old one had gotten stuck to the car. I was driving along the next day when I noticed a strange racket and then the flickering oil pressure light. I pulled off and then had to call roadside assistance for a tow. They gave me a loaner car, a loaded Santa Fe, and I got my car back two days later since the problem surfaced on a Saturday.

That event was not the last time that dealer did me wrong. It was their Service Dept ticking me off which gave me the itch to ditch my Elantra.

I hope that my Ford Dealer treats me well and does their job well, too.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:19 AM   #403
Tigeo
Focus Addict

Fan#: 113481
What I Drive: 2013 Ignot Silver Focus HB

FF Reputation: 1 Tigeo Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
They pay engineers not only to figure these things out, but also to weigh a cost-benefit analysis to Ford and create systems that will make compromises to suit many different people yet also be cost-effective for the company.

Oil is no different yet totally different than the wheels Ford chooses to install. Will the OEM wheels work for most consumers, be safe over a certain amount of mileage, and also be relatively inexpensive for the company? Absolutely. Are there better alternatives out there for the consumer that can meet OEM standards and them some? Absolutely.
I really wish someone would take 2 cars, brand new, and drive them both to 200K. Car 1 would get whatever fancy oil and filters at shorter intervals and Car 2 would get OEM oil/filters following the manuf. recommended OCI and see what happens....I would bet nothing...that doesn't mean I don't see value in "car people" doing their own change following whatever regimen religiously that they choose b/c it makes them feel better or just because they enjoy it. Again, I base what I do on my experience...Jetta w/215K changing myself mostly with 5-10K OCIs (manual said 10K or once/year at a min.) and a variety of oil (mainly Castrol syn or Mobil 1). Ran like a top. I went longer on the OCI for mostly highway driving and shorter for mostly in-town driving...plan on doing it the same on this car except the dealer can do the changes b/c its included in the purchase. Probably will go reg. syn-blend but may consider full-syn for a few bucks more the more I think about it.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:56 AM   #404
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigeo View Post
I really wish someone would take 2 cars, brand new, and drive them both to 200K. Car 1 would get whatever fancy oil and filters at shorter intervals and Car 2 would get OEM oil/filters following the manuf. recommended OCI and see what happens....I would bet nothing...that doesn't mean I don't see value in "car people" doing their own change following whatever regimen religiously that they choose b/c it makes them feel better or just because they enjoy it. Again, I base what I do on my experience...Jetta w/215K changing myself mostly with 5-10K OCIs (manual said 10K or once/year at a min.) and a variety of oil (mainly Castrol syn or Mobil 1). Ran like a top. I went longer on the OCI for mostly highway driving and shorter for mostly in-town driving...plan on doing it the same on this car except the dealer can do the changes b/c its included in the purchase. Probably will go reg. syn-blend but may consider full-syn for a few bucks more the more I think about it.
I don't really have a dog in the fight. I don't typically own vehicles for a long enough time to see a benefit in extended service life. I have my own regimen that works for me, and right or wrong it serves my needs well enough to not be overly concerned with what is 'the best' versus what is 'the worst'. I've had the occasional thought of using the best to help out the next guy, but realistically I understand the fact that the majority would not know or care.

With that being said, I am a firm believer that with pretty much anything on the car there is a better system available for the consumer based on their needs/wants. Ultimately, there is always a small portion of every community that is highly interested in having the best of 'x' for their car. For me to discount it simply because it doesn't fit my list of needs/wants isn't conducive to meaningful discussion for those that are interested. Do I think a motor will last long enough to meet my needs with OEM lubricants? Yes. Do I think that another oil will be better than OEM? Absolutely.

By this day and age there is sufficient data to support a claim in any direction that you want to go. The only way to do that, though, is to ignore pertinent data that supports the direction that other people want to go. And while everyone would like to see a legitimate controlled engine comparison like the 200k example you stated, we have to be realistic and understand that even if it was done exactly as asked for there would be argument with that as well. It's the same with dyno work and comparisons-no matter how controlled, there is going to be someone arguing the legitimacy and outcome.

If OEM was always so good, we would never have complaint threads or the desire to test outside of what we're given. There are so many complaints with the current generation of Focus that we had to create a sub-forum just to co-locate all of them. Am I going to use 'x' oil on 'x' OCI in order to make my engine last longer? To put it bluntly-no. But am I going to claim that Ford engineers have equipped me with what is absolutely best for my car and my environment? Not a chance in hell. Even if the engineers wanted to create the most perfect vehicle ever, I can guarantee you that some bean-counter overrode the majority of what they wanted for cost savings to the company.

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 05-22-2013, 02:32 PM   #405
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
I just ran $18 Motorcraft Syn Blend for 8,000 miles and still had a TBN of 1.9. Probably could've gone to 9,000 miles. I'll post the UOA soon. But that shows that the Ford recommended oil and OCI is not out of whack. Disclaimer: I have 34 mpg average which shows I'm fairly easy on the engine. 22-mile commute each way.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:29 PM   #406
Vanquished
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114099
What I Drive: 2013 Dodge Charger R/T Plus

FF Reputation: 1 Vanquished Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Thanks so much for this guide. Would have had to make two trips to the store if I hadn't known that I needed a Torx T30 to get the cover off. (By the way, why did I have to spend $5 on a friggin bit, would normal screws not have sufficed?)

Replaced my oil at 1050 miles and I'm glad I did, unsurprisingly it wasn't very clean oil that came out and also saw a bunch of little metal specs in so it was probably good to change it. Car was is a 9/11 build date bought in 4/13 so that's a long time to sit with the same oil... Interestingly enough only a little over 4QTs came out, not the 4.5 that I put back in so I guess that's another reason it was a good thing to change the oil now.

Don't know if its just psychological but it really sounds/feels like the engine is idling quieter/smoother, can't logically say why that would be though lol...

So, thanks again for the guide made the whole process extremely easy!
-Vanq
Old 05-27-2013, 04:23 PM   #407
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Didn't look like it was leaking from the filter, but there was still oil dripping down the filter after partially pre soaking the filter in oil. Not sure if it was just a little bit spilled from this or what, but didn't seem to leak when I ran the car to check for leaks. Did notice a tinge of green underneath on the oil pan next to the compressor. It seems to be working, so I'm not sure if and when it had leaked anything.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:16 AM   #408
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanquished View Post
Interestingly enough only a little over 4QTs came out, not the 4.5 that I put back in so I guess that's another reason it was a good thing to change the oil now.
Did you take into account the ~.5 quart that would have been in your filter?
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:19 AM   #409
Vanquished
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114099
What I Drive: 2013 Dodge Charger R/T Plus

FF Reputation: 1 Vanquished Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneZX3 View Post
Did you take into account the ~.5 quart that would have been in your filter?
Yea I emptied everything (filter oil included) into the pan then emptied it back into the bottle the new oil came in, and it only filled to the 4 Qt mark. It's possible I spilled some but no way I spilled .5 Qt
Old 05-28-2013, 10:17 AM   #410
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanquished View Post
Yea I emptied everything (filter oil included) into the pan then emptied it back into the bottle the new oil came in, and it only filled to the 4 Qt mark. It's possible I spilled some but no way I spilled .5 Qt
I've never been able to drain all the oil out of a filter... So, are you thinking that you consumed half a quart of oil in 1050 miles? That's not likely. Mine consumes about .5 quart in 10K miles.

I personally would trust the level on the dipstick more than what actually poured out of the pan and filter. Especially considering an undetermined amount left in the filter and possible spillage.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->