2013 Focus ST Performance Academy - Washington DC - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > Focus ST

Focus ST The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 2013 Focus ST.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-14-2012, 04:43 PM   #1
Mile30
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 74686
What I Drive: '03 ZX3

FF Reputation: 7 Mile30 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
Cool 2013 Focus ST Performance Academy - Washington DC

What a day! It was already shaping up nice knowing we were gonna get a shot at ripping at the new ST (both on their autocross courses and the demo they let us tinker with), then add some cool new strangers, a few Jetters, a few Fanatics and we kinda had a Ford sponsored get-together!

I heard more than a few people talking out the driver's side windows to their friends awaiting a turn, "I'm getting one of these!". A few people who were on the fence flipped to the right side after a few minutes behind the wheel; dealerships damn-sure aren't gonna let your test-drives be anywhere near that spirited!!!

I had a blast and got to know a car that won't be out for a while pretty well, and also got to know fellow members a bit better while we chewed the fat! I know this won't be the only thread, but if you have pics you want to share; put 'em up!

There are currently only 10 cars produced and running around for these events. The eight we got a chance to experience here in the DC area will be heading up to you folks in Beantown next... and by September: they'll all be crash-tested, crushed, and recycled scrap metal! Say goodbye to these babies!

The event gave even novice enthusiasts a chance to feel out the car in advance of the more competitive timed runs! There were some fast friends out there (I, sadly, could not count myself among them!), and the tire-squealing was met by the staff with a call to make the runs as gentle-but-aggressive as possible, so as to eek out the best time.
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

We kept hearing them say a 27 second run was totally possible... with a few people running low 29 seconds and some in the high 28's; I decided to goad (peer-pressure) the staff into shoving us what a fast run looked like. Here's what we saw!
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I can't wait to see what enthusiasts do with these bad boys!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
Schroeder02

Fan#: 53191
What I Drive: 2002 Red SVT & 2007 Red ST

FF Reputation: 62 Schroeder02 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
My impresion

Today was the Mid Atlantic’s turn the drive the ST. There was a good turnout of local focus people at least a dozen or so people that I have meet from the various forums.

As for my impression of the car, overall impression for a production based performance FWD car it is very nice. The turbo spools very quick do to its smaller size with will make for a nice usable power on the street . Power was nice and smooth it does not have the feel of a big turbo that make you wait then kick you in the go nads all at once . I’ll need to take the car on the track and see if the smaller turbo runs out of steam in the upper RPMs though I was really paying attention the rmp and boost gauge. The brakes where excellent and had plenty of bight to overpower the 235 tires and activate the ABS, as for brake fade and how they will hold up to repeated abuse we’ll have to see on the track.

The folks form ford asked us not the turn of the stability control or put the car in sport mode, so I didn’t mess with any of that and honestly I normally just hop in a car and drive it. All the buttons and stuff just confuse me I somehow turned on the ac trying to turn the radio off. But the car felt quite nimble it did exhibit understeer if driven into a corner to hard, pretty typical in a FWD car. However if tried trail braking the back end would step out but never in an alarming manner. I’m sure the stability control was helping keep the car in check. However I don’t feel like it was overly intrusive it will be fun to try it in sport mode and with it off. The suspension felt nice a good combination or comfort but still stiff enough to hold tight turns and three leg it though the corner.

The seats are fantastic and that all I have to say about that Forest.

I’m not sure about the fully electric steering system seemed a little disconnected compeered to the first gen focus.

Over all I think the car is fantastic for a street car, all modern cars coming out have all the bells and whistles, stability control and traction control and ABS. Yes I would rather not have all that and a mechanical diff, I’m a track junky and an want to feel what my car is doing and actually drive it however for a car I’m going to drive and use to enjoy on my commute to work I can live with that stuff. And the car will still make me giggle when I drive too fast not that I ever do that on public roads that would be just crazy.

Do you have any special rituals when the helmet is concerned like many have? - I wipe it so that I can see better.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:42 AM   #3
swansong
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83576
What I Drive: 2008 Saab 9-3 Aero SportCombi XWD

FF Reputation: 9 swansong Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Awesome write ups! Mile30, you got some great pictures, I love the nitty gritty detail pictures, like the fold flat seats, cargo area, subwoofer location/box, engine bay withOUT the dang cover, and blue recaros! Getting me excited!

So, who stole that shift knob??
Gone: 2002 SVT, #1654

Hers: 2010 Focus SES: 70k, Ebony, Auto, Moon and Tune
Old 07-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
ultraviolet
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101392
What I Drive: 2003 Toyota Matrix

FF Reputation: 1 ultraviolet Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Hey, you must have been in the same group as me for the practice runs!

I see someone in one of the pics that I recognized when I was waiting, plus you caught me in your first pic signing in and also driving the red ST! LOL!

It was a great event. It was awesome for Ford to do something like this. It was great to be able to run the cars, but it was a total tease! Really would like to have been able to open it up through the gears.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:38 PM   #5
wantz12
Focus Addict

Fan#: 89237
What I Drive: 2012 White FF Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 wantz12 Good Standing Member
SO jealous! In my hometown too! Wish I coulda been there.

The blue just looks so sexy...dammit I should have waited another 6 months!
HN #167
Old 07-16-2012, 08:51 PM   #6
Mile30
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 74686
What I Drive: '03 ZX3

FF Reputation: 7 Mile30 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
It's been said already and I totally agree: the cloth w/ leather accents hold you really well! The driving position feels awkward when your situating yourself, but it's uber-comfortable... after the door shuts and you're moving, the position feels perfect (and safe too). I want those seats for my mk1!
Old 07-19-2012, 04:09 PM   #7
Shempi
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94961
What I Drive: 2002 Sonic Blue SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 Shempi Good Standing Member
Wow! Great pics. I seriously can't wait for my dad to get his ST.
2002 Sonic Blue SVTF #661
2013 Tangerine Scream ST3
Old 07-30-2012, 09:53 PM   #8
BlazedReaper
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92613
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 BlazedReaper Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
gesh, so jealous i wasnt able to go! those are some great shots! and awesome write up!!!
2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac (R.I.P. )

Bookmarks & Social Networks