Installing Heated Mirrors - Page 14 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-31-2013, 08:04 AM   #131
Titanium Tony
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98460
What I Drive: 2012, Wht Platinum,Ti Hatch,hdg pkg

Points 331, Level 6
Points: 331, Level: 6 Points: 331, Level: 6 Points: 331, Level: 6
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 4 Titanium Tony Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wylee View Post
C339

B9 CLN17 (BU-WH) 20
B10 CBP17 (BN-GN) 20

These wires are present on the body side but not on the door side.
Yes, slightly smaller wires but they as well, aren't associated with any particular component. You'll be a FF champion if you get this working
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2013, 12:53 PM   #132
wylee
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 116984
What I Drive: 2013 ST1

FF Reputation: 1 wylee Good Standing Member
I've tested enough that I now know it will work. Other than deciding how I run the wires through C339 & C340, the only other thing I've got to do is order a diode for the positive side of the puddle lamp relay. Oh, and find a %^@$# crimp tool.
EDIT: Scrap the diode; I'm going to leave that out unless I get any strange behaviors from the interior lighting circuit...and after thinking about it some more, it would probably make more sense on the negative side since that's where the switching is done.

I'm going to take my spare connector to the dealer parts counter and see if they have the correct pins. If they don't have the pins, I'm going to reuse the pins and wires from the spare connector I have. Hopefully the dealer will have the pins and I'll be able to post a part number for anyone else wanting to do this.

I probably won't get this done for a couple weeks since I need someone help me take the doors off.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #133
wylee
Focus Enthusiast

I struck out looking for connector pins; everything at the dealer had a 4-6" lead attached to it...and I've got plenty of those.

Based on measurements, I think Delphi 13726148 would work for the Female side...but the minimum order from Mouser on that terminal is 6000 pieces.

Here's my measurements on the female box pin
Overall length 0.575"
Box length 0.262"
Box width (od) 0.062"
Box height (od) 0.086"

My measurements on the male blade pin
Blade width 0.033"
Blade thickness 0.024"
Overall length of pin 0.941"
Box portion length 0.262"
Box portion begins 0.365" from the tip of the blade
Box width 0.063"
Box height 0.089"
Box height including retention bump on bottom 0.108"

B4 & B5 might be able to be used but I don't trust the wiring diagrams quite enough to snip those wires and I think tracing them would be quite difficult. I'm going to use the pins from my spare connector and I'll post pics when I get it done.

The holes in B14-17 and A14-17 are plenty big to feed an 18 gauge wire through if someone want to get this working without the pins. It would take a little patience and enough help to hold the door but it is definitely do-able.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:16 PM   #134
flyboyike
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98206
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE sedan

FF Reputation: 3 flyboyike Good Standing Member
Seems like a lot of work for a feature that will only be used a very small percentage of the time. I would think one of the following two solutions might be far less labor-intensive:

1. Stop by your friendly local airport and purchase some de-icing fluid. On those cold morning whens the mirrors are iced up, warm some up on the stove and wipe the mirrors down. They won't refreeze for quite a while.

2. If the actual heaters are that important to you, just hardwire them directly to a 12V source and ricerig a switch under the dash the way some of our friends install that other absolute automotive necessity known as the fog lights.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:08 PM   #135
wylee
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyike View Post
Seems like a lot of work for a feature that will only be used a very small percentage of the time. I would think one of the following two solutions might be far less labor-intensive:

1. Stop by your friendly local airport and purchase some de-icing fluid. On those cold morning whens the mirrors are iced up, warm some up on the stove and wipe the mirrors down. They won't refreeze for quite a while.

2. If the actual heaters are that important to you, just hardwire them directly to a 12V source and ricerig a switch under the dash the way some of our friends install that other absolute automotive necessity known as the fog lights.
Very helpful information. Thanks!

Last edited by wylee; 09-05-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:10 PM   #136
wylee
Focus Enthusiast

The driver's side mirror is on and wires have been run. I added pins to empty slots A9 & A10 at C339. I was able to get the C339 connector out without taking the door off by squeezing the rubber boot down. The back side of C339 is a bear to access.

For the connections inside the door, I pulled pins 6 & 7 from C501B, cut the pins off, and connected the new wires I ran through C339 A9 & A10.

The connections are not tied into the car yet. The heat will be connected to C238. The puddle lamps will be tied into a relay behind the glove box that will be fired by the passenger footwell lamp
Old 09-07-2013, 04:20 PM   #137
wylee
Focus Enthusiast

Heat is now connected and working. The mirrors get nice and warm in just a couple minutes @ 66 F outside temp.

Puddle lamps will have to wait for it to stop raining.

I was able to get the C340 housing out without removing the door as well. I used the only two empty pin slots for my pins (A3 & B8) or (A8 & B3). I can't remember which number went with which letter.

The connections inside the passenger door were essentially the same as the drivers door. I removed pins 6 & 7 from C652B, cut the pins off, and connected my newly run wires to the pin 6 & 7 wires.

Interesting mix and match on my front speakers...the driver's side had a poly cone, a much bigger magnet, and some extra "stuff" at the speaker wire connection. The passenger side had a paper cone with smaller magnet.

Last edited by wylee; 09-07-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:57 PM   #138
Titanium Tony
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98460
What I Drive: 2012, Wht Platinum,Ti Hatch,hdg pkg

Points 331, Level 6
Points: 331, Level: 6 Points: 331, Level: 6 Points: 331, Level: 6
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 4 Titanium Tony Good Standing Member
Great Wylee. I'm going to try and follow your instructions on my install. I'm wondering if we can simplify the install for those that don't have a wiring diagram. Thanks for your determination and pioneering hard work, esp on your new car.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:58 PM   #139
wylee
Focus Enthusiast

The puddle lamps are working now, but my relay is annoyingly loud. I didn't want to use a standard bosch type relay because the resistance is too low, but the Omron 680 Ohm relay is quite noisy. I'm wondering if the fade off/on function of the footwell light is causing the relay to operate slowly thus noisily...hmmm.

Even if I can't find a way to quiet the relay down, I'm still happy I went with the heat and puddle instead of just heat. The puddle lamps will be nice when I can see if there's a cat with a white stripe near my car before I step on said striped cat.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #140
novus
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 107022
What I Drive: '12 Tuxedo Black Focus SEL

Points 906, Level 16
Points: 906, Level: 16 Points: 906, Level: 16 Points: 906, Level: 16
Level Up 6% Completed
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 5 novus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by wylee View Post
The puddle lamps are working now, but my relay is annoyingly loud. I didn't want to use a standard bosch type relay because the resistance is too low, but the Omron 680 Ohm relay is quite noisy. I'm wondering if the fade off/on function of the footwell light is causing the relay to operate slowly thus noisily...hmmm.

Even if I can't find a way to quiet the relay down, I'm still happy I went with the heat and puddle instead of just heat. The puddle lamps will be nice when I can see if there's a cat with a white stripe near my car before I step on said striped cat.
Great work man. I've been following this thread
Might have to try it out myself.

Bookmarks & Social Networks