Installing Heated Mirrors - Page 13 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-13-2013, 02:51 PM   #121
wylee
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 116984
What I Drive: 2013 ST1

FF Reputation: 1 wylee Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium Tony View Post
I acquired a complete wiring diagram for the 2012 Focus three months ago. What I've learned is like most new cars, CAN bus can be a nightmare when it comes to adding features like heated mirrors or puddle lamps. In cars with door modules, interior lighting is controlled by removing the ground source,(12+v is always present) through the dome light supervision circuit. Unfortunately, the mirrors on our cars are controlled by applying voltage through the BCM and door modules. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, everything in the mirror is returned through a common ground in the door module. Not saying it can't be done.
Thanks for the interior lighting info. I guess puddle lights could be done with a relay, but they're not really important to me. I'm going to order heated mirrors without puddle lamps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2013, 05:54 PM   #122
Titanium Tony
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98460
What I Drive: 2012, Wht Platinum,Ti Hatch,hdg pkg

FF Reputation: 4 Titanium Tony Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by wylee View Post
I'm giving up on puddle lights. Since they are only available on cars with modules, I don't see any way to easily get them working. I bought the 72hr service info access and after reviewing the diagrams, I doubt pin 22 where I found voltage related to the dome lights was anything more than feedback from something else. I only tested with a voltmeter so although I found voltage, there probably was not any significant current.

I'm now confident I can have heated mirrors. I was able to get the glove box out today and found C238. Pin 23 on the fusebox side has a brown/green wire and pin 23 on the door side is empty. I used my test light and found there is power to pin 23 when the rear defroster is on. To further test that I had the correct wire, I pulled F47, retested, and got nothing.

The side that has power to pin 23 is on the left in this picture. C238 is slightly askew in the pic because I haven't reattached it to the side wall yet.

My plan is to try to find pins for connectors C238, C339 and C340. If I can find the correct pins, getting power to the mirrors should be pretty straight-forward. If I can't find the pins, I'll probably drill out one of the unused pin holes on C339 and C340 to get an 18ga wire into the door.
That looks to be a great plan Wylee, hooking it up like a car without modules should work. Does make you wonder though why Ford decided to run power to the heated mirrors two very different ways. Thanks for taking pics and please keep us informed of your progress.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:50 PM   #123
wylee
Focus Enthusiast

I took a pin out of the C238 connector today. Anyone know a good place to find oem pins? The connector was stamped "DELPHI" in a couple spots, but there were no numbers on it. I'll stop by the parts counter on Monday or Tuesday I guess.

The C238 female pin measurements:
Width: .100 inches
Height: .117 inches
Length: .816 inches
Box length: .391 inches
Retaining bump from female end: .300 inches

EDIT: It looks like I found the C238 pin.
OCS 1.5 Female Unsealed Tin Plating Terminal, Cable Range 0.75 - 1.00 mm2
Delphi Part #13849930

pin pictures can be found in my Focus album:

http://s48.photobucket.com/user/wylee75/library/Focus

No sense leaving the pics posted here since I believe I have found the Delphi number.

Last edited by wylee; 08-25-2013 at 04:21 AM.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:11 PM   #124
wylee
Focus Enthusiast

I also popped the door harness connector out but I was unable to remove it; it looks like the door must be removed first.

pics of how the door connect pops out of the body if anyone is interested:

Two top retaining clips (retaining clips circled release levers at arrows)

Single bottom retaining clip (push up to release)
Old 08-29-2013, 10:31 PM   #125
wylee
Focus Enthusiast

The body to door connector is made by Sumitomo. The half that is connected to the door harness is 6188-5274. I haven't had much luck sourcing pins yet. It looks like they come under the "US Program Specific" type with the type being USDoor. http://swsct.sws.co.jp/components/en/

It's beginning to look like I will have to drill 2 holes through vacant pin positions in C339 and C340....not the end of the world but I really wanted to stay as close to stock as possible.

The male terminal may be Sumitomo 8230-5223 but I don't know where to order it.

Last edited by wylee; 09-03-2013 at 02:46 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:12 PM   #126
Titanium Tony
Focus Enthusiast

I'm not sure but I think there's at least one unused 18 gage pin inside the connector. I'll check tomorrow and post if found.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:35 PM   #127
wylee
Focus Enthusiast

I bought a connector from the guy parting out an ST on the ST forum. There are plenty of open slots, but I don't see any spare pins. I may pull pins from that connector to use, but the pig tails are not long enough to go inside the door. If I use a pin from my spare connector, I'll have 2 solder connections (heat & puddle) inside the rubber boot between the door and the body.

I may measure the the pins with a caliper tomorrow and see if I can find a Delphi terminal from Mouser that will match up.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:13 PM   #128
Titanium Tony
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks for all your hard work Wylee. Did you get a chance to check pin# B4 and B5 in C339 and C340? They don't seem to be associated with any particular component.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:44 PM   #129
wylee
Focus Enthusiast

C339

B4 VME11 (VT-OG) 18
B5 RME11 (YE-OG) 18

These wires are there on both the body and door side and the colors match. I haven't traced them anywhere. I only had a 72 hour subscription so I don't have access to the wiring diagrams anymore. I'll have to see if I can trace the door end.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:40 PM   #130
wylee
Focus Enthusiast

C339

B9 CLN17 (BU-WH) 20
B10 CBP17 (BN-GN) 20

These wires are present on the body side but not on the door side.

Bookmarks & Social Networks