Installing Heated Mirrors - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-14-2011, 10:31 PM   #1
sixxgunscott
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92768
What I Drive: 2012, Tuxedo Black, Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 sixxgunscott Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Installing Heated Mirrors

Our SE didn't come with Heated Mirrors or Cruise Control (that will be another post). I would like to add the heated mirrors. Will it be Plug and Play? Can anyone recommend an online source to purchase factory heated mirrors? I assume that I will have to purchase complete units that will come prewired. It might be nice if they also came with the turn signals in the mirror housings.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2011, 10:44 PM   #2
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

Points 12,559, Level 73
Points: 12,559, Level: 73 Points: 12,559, Level: 73 Points: 12,559, Level: 73
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 24%
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%
FF Reputation: 14 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Heated comes with the turn signals.
I do not know if the wiring is in the door for them or not?
If not, it would be tough to do.
Someone who has changed speakers in the doors might have looked..
Old 12-14-2011, 10:48 PM   #3
tmnCA
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91665
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Hatchback SE, Sport

FF Reputation: 0 tmnCA Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Heated mirrors are with the winter package, cruise control with the convenience package. Didn't you check what packages and options your car included before signing the papers - sounds like it was a surprise? I have no idea how you would install them after market, sorry - but if you feel the car was misrepresented your best bet may be negotiating with the dealer. In most states cars are not considered "used" until over 3000 miles so your dealer may have some leeway to get you the car you really want.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:18 AM   #4
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmnCA View Post
Heated mirrors are with the winter package, cruise control with the convenience package. Didn't you check what packages and options your car included before signing the papers - sounds like it was a surprise? I have no idea how you would install them after market, sorry - but if you feel the car was misrepresented your best bet may be negotiating with the dealer. In most states cars are not considered "used" until over 3000 miles so your dealer may have some leeway to get you the car you really want.
I'm actually looking to get the heated mirrors now, too. The reason being that winter *just* started and until now I've had no idea of the almost need I have.

The reason is this car has *great* aerodynamics. The problem with that is that no wind ever touches the backside of the mirrors...so any moisture or melted ice just sits there, untouched. Most cars, when you drive certain speeds, kind of clear that stuff away on their own. The reason I didn't buy the heated mirrors is because I didn't think I'd need it, since I had no way of knowing that's how this car was until now.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:10 AM   #5
kelscar
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88165
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 kelscar Good Standing Member
I will relate this story for what it's worth. When we were shopping, we found a car on the lot that fit our needs, except it lacked the winter package. The dealer offered to install the package, but said they could not do the heated mirrors. I do not know the reason why, and I was not interested in having a brand new car torn apart to install the options anyway so I did not press him on the issue.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:17 AM   #6
tmnCA
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91665
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Hatchback SE, Sport

FF Reputation: 0 tmnCA Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
I see, it sounded more like you thought it had the heated mirrors when you bought it but then found out no. I imagine it would be difficult because the heated mirrors go on with the rear defroster, so the wiring has to go all the way in to the center console. Maybe you can try cleaning the mirrors and apply no-fog or rainX or something?

http://www.amazon.com/JAWS-Spit-Anti...4016085&sr=8-8

http://www.amazon.com/Rain-X-AF21212...4015989&sr=8-8
Old 12-16-2011, 05:38 AM   #7
dasilvarsa
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89551
What I Drive: 2012 2.0 Gdi Trend

FF Reputation: 2 dasilvarsa Good Standing Member
Before Buying Parts check if the wiring is present. Dealer shoul be able to help u.
These cars do not have standard wiring. I wanted to get the subwoofer for mine but the dealer says that the wiring is not present. Nothing can do exept go aftermarket.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:30 PM   #8
skiboarder119
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98455
What I Drive: 2012 black TI 5spd

Points 352, Level 7
Points: 352, Level: 7 Points: 352, Level: 7 Points: 352, Level: 7
Level Up 4% Completed
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 skiboarder119 Good Standing Member
Any news on this? I've never needed heated mirrors either, but this is the first car i've ever had where nothing is leaves the mirrors no matter how fast you go.

Does anybody know where the wires for heated mirrors terminate on cars that don't have this option? Are they in the mirror? The door?
Old 12-18-2012, 04:47 PM   #9
Titanium Tony
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98460
What I Drive: 2012, Wht Platinum,Ti Hatch,hdg pkg

Points 333, Level 6
Points: 333, Level: 6 Points: 333, Level: 6 Points: 333, Level: 6
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 4 Titanium Tony Good Standing Member
I installed signal mirrors in my F150 just by tapping into the turn signal circuit. Sounds to me that if you find the wires feeding the rear defrost, the rest should fall into place. Source just the mirror glass with the heat elements attached and some wire and plastic flex conduit. Damn, that'll be my next project..lol
Old 12-18-2012, 05:21 PM   #10
soaringcowman
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 106555
What I Drive: 2013 Oxford White Focus ST3

FF Reputation: 1 soaringcowman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I am looking into doing this to my car as well, I work at a ford dealer in the parts dept, so tomorrow i'll look at our catalog and see if they show different wiring harness for cars with and without heated/turn signals mirrors. I'm almost willing to bet that they didn't use multiple harness for these cars so I bet the cars are already wired for and it would be plug and play. Another way to check is to pull your mirror off and see how many wires are going on the pigtail going to the mirror and then see how many connectors there are in the socket it plugs into. Example: pigtail may have 6 wires and socket may have only 3. so there for the other 3 wires can be your heated and turn signals.

I know a guy at work had a bought a 12 F150 and didn't have heated nor signals, and he bought OEM trailer mirrors with heat/signals. And he plugged them in and they work with no additional wiring

Bookmarks & Social Networks