20k Maintenance items? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-07-2014, 09:17 PM   #1
Userdenied
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 116334
What I Drive: '13 Black Ti Hatch 5-Speed

Points 813, Level 15
Points: 813, Level: 15 Points: 813, Level: 15 Points: 813, Level: 15
Level Up 13% Completed
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 Userdenied Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
20k Maintenance items?

So, coming up on 20k already on my Ti and that has me thinking about maintenance. I've been doing oil changes every 8k with full synthetic, just cleaned and oiled my air filter last oil change (about 3k miles ago), and I replaced the cabin air filter back around 10k because of the weird 'musty' smell it had.

All I'm really thinking I should be considering at this point is something to run through the fuel and oil to help prevent build-ups from happening before they really get started. Does anyone run Seafoam or any other product through their cars and if so how often? I've read a bunch about Seafoam and there seem to be rather strong opinions both ways.

I'm open to any suggestions, my Ti is my baby. I plan to have her for many more years and want to keep her in the best shape possible.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2014, 01:13 AM   #2
fenway1912
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 116879
What I Drive: 2013 Focus SE

Points 9,397, Level 65
Points: 9,397, Level: 65 Points: 9,397, Level: 65 Points: 9,397, Level: 65
Level Up 16% Completed
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Forum Activity 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
FF Reputation: 2 fenway1912 Good Standing Member
I would probably do a brake fluid flush if the car's been subject to a lot of humidity since brake fluid is supposedly hygroscopic (absorbs water). Maybe it's a good chance to have the pads and rotors checked as well.

Other than that, I'd rather spend on quality detailing, PDR and paint touch ups!
Old 07-08-2014, 01:17 AM   #3
ford94302
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 158994
Points 161, Level 3
Points: 161, Level: 3 Points: 161, Level: 3 Points: 161, Level: 3
Level Up 22% Completed
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 ford94302 Good Standing Member
Seafoam is awesome stuff. I run it through my induction every 30k or so with an induction cleaning tool thing from Justice Brothers. Sorry I'm to lazy to look up the part number at the moment. I also dump a bit into my fuel tank when is full. Put some in your engine to if you want (Seafoam is fantastic and universal like that) but I wouldn't do to much because it's not exactly oil... or even close. I'm at 67k with no problems. Other than that, just keep an eye on your cabin filter and air filter.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:23 AM   #4
Userdenied
Focus Enthusiast

Points 813, Level 15
Level Up 13% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenway1912 View Post
I would probably do a brake fluid flush if the car's been subject to a lot of humidity since brake fluid is supposedly hygroscopic (absorbs water). Maybe it's a good chance to have the pads and rotors checked as well.

Other than that, I'd rather spend on quality detailing, PDR and paint touch ups!
Hadn't even thought of checking brake fluid this early on, I'll have to do some research on that one and see what I find.

As for detailing, I've been doing that since day one. She's only ever been hand washed, and I've kept a good coat of wax on her since day one. Though I do have two paint chips I need to address because of a stupid dump truck... I've also been cleaning the interior at least once a month and keeping the leather/dash treated with Optimum Leather Protector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford94302 View Post
Seafoam is awesome stuff. I run it through my induction every 30k or so with an induction cleaning tool thing from Justice Brothers. Sorry I'm to lazy to look up the part number at the moment. I also dump a bit into my fuel tank when is full. Put some in your engine to if you want (Seafoam is fantastic and universal like that) but I wouldn't do to much because it's not exactly oil... or even close. I'm at 67k with no problems. Other than that, just keep an eye on your cabin filter and air filter.
I've heard it is good for treating a lot of different things throughout the car, I just couldn't find anything on it that showed it worked. Something like before and after pictures are what I was hoping for. I'll keep digging and see if something can sway me one way or the other
Old 07-08-2014, 06:10 PM   #5
Tigeo
Focus Addict

Fan#: 113481
What I Drive: 2013 Ignot Silver Focus HB

Points 2,845, Level 32
Points: 2,845, Level: 32 Points: 2,845, Level: 32 Points: 2,845, Level: 32
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 Tigeo Good Standing Member
20K and oiled the filter? Do you drive in really dusty conditions? 50K is what K&N recommends. At 20K shouldn't need anything beyond oil changes/tire rotations/cabin filters/wipers. IMHO all of the additive stuff is snake oil.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:13 PM   #6
Userdenied
Focus Enthusiast

Points 813, Level 15
Level Up 13% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigeo View Post
20K and oiled the filter? Do you drive in really dusty conditions? 50K is what K&N recommends. At 20K shouldn't need anything beyond oil changes/tire rotations/cabin filters/wipers. IMHO all of the additive stuff is snake oil.
I picked the filter used from another forum member, so I just went ahead and cleaned and oiled it before I put it in so that I knew exactly how many miles were on it. Still probably going to clean it every ~24k just because it is easy, cheap, and gives me something else to do to the car every few oil changes.

I'm still on the fence about additives as well, I was hoping more people would chime in but without more info I'm still leaning towards not wasting the money.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:15 PM   #7
Tigeo
Focus Addict

Points 2,845, Level 32
Level Up 64% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
My feeling has always been that if the car really needed it Ford would recommend it. Over cleaning and oiling the filter is part of the reason I think folks have issues with them.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:18 PM   #8
Userdenied
Focus Enthusiast

Points 813, Level 15
Level Up 13% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigeo View Post
My feeling has always been that if the car really needed it Ford would recommend it. Over cleaning and oiling the filter is part of the reason I think folks have issues with them.
I know over oiling (Too much oil) is an issue, and I was careful to make sure I didn't over saturate it. How would frequency of cleaning cause an issue though so long as you never applied too much oil? Not trying to argue, just curious what your thought process is on that one.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:34 PM   #9
Tigeo
Focus Addict

Points 2,845, Level 32
Level Up 64% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Userdenied View Post
I know over oiling (Too much oil) is an issue, and I was careful to make sure I didn't over saturate it. How would frequency of cleaning cause an issue though so long as you never applied too much oil? Not trying to argue, just curious what your thought process is on that one.
Because that is what K&N recommends...I figure they have a reason for their recommendation.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:06 AM   #10
kudosmog
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 163058
What I Drive: 2014 Focus SE Hatchback

Points 83, Level 1
Points: 83, Level: 1 Points: 83, Level: 1 Points: 83, Level: 1
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 2%
FF Reputation: 1 kudosmog Good Standing Member
I've used seafoam on tons of cars, but nothing newer than 2000 so I can't say much about how it would work on the newer focus.

I use it on my diesel to keep the fuel from gumming up. If I don't pre-treat with seafoam the car won't start in very cold weather. I used it on my BMW's. One I bought used that was sitting for years outside. Seafoam cleaned that up real nice.

Wish I had actual lab tests or something but all I have is opinion.

Bookmarks & Social Networks