...fixed scratches on my bumper!! - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Auto Washing, Detailing & Paint Protection

Auto Washing, Detailing & Paint Protection Discuss wax, polish, chamois, microfiber towels, simple cloth towel, scratch repair and paint protection. Use this Forum to discuss your cleaning tricks and techniques.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-21-2011, 07:27 AM   #21
whimsicalpouch2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 87978
What I Drive: 2002, black SVT focus

FF Reputation: 4 whimsicalpouch2 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
can you see that? ahha

#586 of #4788
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2011, 12:13 PM   #22
pasta
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62350
What I Drive: 2003 eap svt

FF Reputation: 5 pasta Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (40)
nice write up
Old 12-23-2011, 01:25 PM   #23
whimsicalpouch2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 87978
What I Drive: 2002, black SVT focus

FF Reputation: 4 whimsicalpouch2 Good Standing Member
alright well i emailed the drcolorchip and they said to use more to remove the excess paint. i did, it looks nice and fresher, but its definitely not perfect, i can still see a good amount, but its expected since my bumper is probably the worst bumper ever that this stuff has tried to be used on

#586 of #4788
Old 01-13-2012, 09:54 AM   #24
p0sitivevibez
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 11223
What I Drive: SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 p0sitivevibez Good Standing Member
So it's like Langka?
Old 01-13-2012, 10:45 AM   #25
wgilles
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91264
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SE 5 speed

FF Reputation: 1 wgilles Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I've read good things about Dr. Colorchip on the Autopia forums...good to see another review that backs it up.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:10 PM   #26
gomach1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 56427
What I Drive: 03 ZX5, 98 CSVT 3L-T

FF Reputation: 1 gomach1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Thats very cool, i might have to give it a try...
Old 03-18-2013, 03:42 AM   #27
dutd33
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104381
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 dutd33 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Logic View Post
first off, i'll tell the FML story. i work at a place with a driveway that is a bit steep on parts of it. if you take it at the wrong angle or too fast, you could bottom out / scrape parts of your car. i was a bit late one day and yup... i took the driveway at the wrong angle and too fast; i heard a scrape and shuddered.

as soon as i parked, i got out and looked for damage but at the time i couldn't find anything as my car was a bit dirty from the rain we just had. a few days later, while detailing... i saw the damage i caused. it wasn't too bad or too noticeable unless you DID notice it and pointed it out. but i saw it and it would forever bug me unless i fixed it.

i had a couple of solutions:

1. take it to ford, bend over, have them ream me, wait while they fix it... and attempt to walk out with some dignity.

2. purchase the touch-up pen and try my luck with that.

3. try some touch-up paint i've seen online.

option 1 was def. out the window.

option 2, i thought about. i did research on the ford touch-up paint pen for my car's color. the dreaded white platinum tri-coat metallic (paint code "UG" - probably for the sound you make when you find out your paint's been damaged). after going to some edge forums, i found out that the pen is garbage and not worth the $$$$.

last option, option 3. from having my mustang and hearing what some of my friends used on their scrapes, scratches, and chips from the road... i decided to try this:

dr. colorchip; you can find it here:

http://www.drcolorchip.com/

as far as how to use it, here's the video(s) from youtube and the steps i followed:

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

when i got the package and opened the box i found a typed up note inside which said something like... due to my paint being tri-coat, it's VERY hard to match with touch up paint. the way the factory used a base coat, mid coat, and top coat; touch-up paints have difficulty matching it and blending. the note then continued and said they sent me the BEST possible match.

you can imagine my when i read that note.

i was thinking my repair would look like i just used white-out. but, i already had the product... my damage was in an area not too noticeable... if it looked like garbage, at least it wouldn't be on the middle of my hood. so on with me trying to fix it. first, the picture of my damage:

as i said, the damage wasn't TOO bad and i circled / enlarged / boxed the damage in the pictures. but if you pointed it out.. it'd be clear it was there and always noticeable; even more so if you're the owner and KNOW it's there.

how did it turn out? did my fear of having white-out on my bumper come to fruition? you guys judge:

as far as i'm concerned, the match was FLAWLESS. for having warned me that the match would be hard, i couldn't tell the scratches were ever there. i had my boss look at my bumper and asked if he could tell where my damage was and he couldn't find it; neither could one of my coworkers.

i'm VERY pleased with this product and HIGHLY recommend it to ANYONE. i have a tri-coat / metallic paint and the match was beautiful. while i'll still hate getting minor damage, i know i have something to fix it down the road.

i got the $59 kit and BARELY used any of it. there's way more than enough to last me a million more scratches like i had, but i'd prefer to NOT have to use it anymore.

hope this review and pictures help people out there wondering about what they could buy / use to fix small scratches here and there. took the plunge, got dr. colorchip based on friends' reviews of it, and could not be happier.

p.s.

YES it passed the sun test. indoors, it's hard to tell if the touch-up was good. normally, in the sun... you can REALLY tell if it's good or not. even in the sun, the match was perfect.
Hey there Fuzzy Logic,

Thanks for the great write up! I just washed my car today and I noticed a big stone chip on my paint (even though I paid the extra $ for the Diamond-Kote protection from the dealership, argh!).

I also own a White Triple Platinum Tri-Coat so I'll definitely be purchasing this Dr. Color Chip and give it a try.

Thanks again!

Bookmarks & Social Networks