Thermostat question... - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-01-2011, 01:48 PM   #1
2007FocusGuy
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 86658
What I Drive: 2007 Black SES

FF Reputation: 3 2007FocusGuy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thermostat question...

Hi all,

I have a quick question. This is more geared towards my mother's 2002 Escape, but since it also has the 2.0 Zetec engine like the earlier Foci, I was hoping ya'll might could help.

Here's the issue. Appariently, in Ford's INFINITE wisdom, they used a plastic t-stat housing which is prone to warping/cracking and leaking. Well, my mother has had a continued coolant loss issue for a little while now, and upon further inspection, I found wet spots on the drivers side of the head near the black housing, as well as liquid on the skid plate underneath as well as the bell housing. Most I have asked confirmed this is 99% likely the issue.

Here's the bad part. Money is really tight, and we simply cannot afford a $45 replacement housing. I can easily get the new o-ring ($3). Is there ANYWAY at all to temporarily salvage the stock unit if it is cracked? JB Weld, silicone, anything? I know nearly everyone here does not like "band-aid" fixes, but this is all we can do right now. So if anyone has any helpful information, I would most grateful. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2011, 02:01 PM   #2
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 51,351, Level 100
Points: 51,351, Level: 100 Points: 51,351, Level: 100 Points: 51,351, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 27%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
In most cases it is the o-ring leaking , when you remove it to check the housing clean it good , check for cracks and change the o-ring if all looks good

Clean the head good as well

If it is cracked then look at salvage yards and save a few bucks or check ebay , it isnt worth patching when a over heated engine could cost you 1000.00 - 2000.00 $$$

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 12-02-2011, 03:01 PM   #3
deadend9009
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 69681
What I Drive: 2003 Grey Focus ZX5

FF Reputation: 3 deadend9009 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Head over to rockauto.com, they might have a cheaper replacement. Do replace the housing O ring and the block to housing O rint (they're separate).

If you want to pay for shipping, I can send you one thats in shape. Just pay shipping, my postal code is j0t 2n0. Calculate shipping and let me know if you're interested.

Email at g_noury@hotmail.com
Old 12-05-2011, 01:21 AM   #4
2007FocusGuy
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadend9009 View Post
Head over to rockauto.com, they might have a cheaper replacement. Do replace the housing O ring and the block to housing O rint (they're separate).

If you want to pay for shipping, I can send you one thats in shape. Just pay shipping, my postal code is j0t 2n0. Calculate shipping and let me know if you're interested.

Email at g_noury@hotmail.com

I appreciate the offer. After discussing the issue with my mother, she decided to go ahead and replace the housing and everything. My guess is she had an 'ultra emergency' nest egg somewhere. Got the housing (all gaskets and t-stat included) for $50.39. Are there any specific how tos for this swap? I have seen videos, but they don't cover everything well. Also, will I need any RTV?
Old 12-05-2011, 01:48 PM   #5
deadend9009
Focus Enthusiast

No need for RTV but you want to make sure when you tighten the screws and the bolts that you dont overtighen them and you want to make sure they're all equally bolted down to avoid leaks.

Its pretty foolproof if you use care. Do replace the spring clips with worm gear clips, you will be replacing the thermostat/housing again some time down the road.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:38 PM   #6
2007FocusGuy
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
No need for RTV but you want to make sure when you tighten the screws and the bolts that you dont overtighen them and you want to make sure they're all equally bolted down to avoid leaks.

Its pretty foolproof if you use care. Do replace the spring clips with worm gear clips, you will be replacing the thermostat/housing again some time down the road.
Explain this one to me more, please. I am a newb with these types of t-stats. I'm used to my Jeep Cherokee; 2 bolts and some RTV, you're good to go.

Edit: I had a der moment. Do you mean the hose clamps?
Old 12-05-2011, 04:34 PM   #7
deadend9009
Focus Enthusiast

Sorry i was not more clear. yes the hose clamps, the OEM stuff is a pain in the butt to remove because you have little clearance to get regular pliers in there. You don't NEED to replace them but if you are keeping the car for a long time, do replace them when removing them for future ease of removal.

Google both clips and you'll totally understand what im talking about!
Old 12-06-2011, 01:33 AM   #8
2007FocusGuy
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Sorry i was not more clear. yes the hose clamps, the OEM stuff is a pain in the butt to remove because you have little clearance to get regular pliers in there. You don't NEED to replace them but if you are keeping the car for a long time, do replace them when removing them for future ease of removal.

Google both clips and you'll totally understand what im talking about!
Absolutely. I always keep a couple of those clamps handy, because the spring ones suck, even with room to work around them. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

2 questions: I was looking at the housing, and I was a little confused.

1) It looks as though the housing has 2 bolts and then a stud that a nut screws to. Is that normal?

2) From the videos I've watched, the t-stat must be orientated with the vent hole upwards to release air through a hose that attatches to a fitting on the t-stat cover. On my mother's Escape, the same fitting is there, but it is capped off with a spring clamp and a little block off cap. What's the deal with that? Idk if it matters, but her Escape is a 5-speed.

I appreciate all the help.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:52 PM   #9
deadend9009
Focus Enthusiast

1) On the focus, its three bolts that bolt the housing to the block. Maybe the escape's is different, make sure you put everything back together as it was originally.

2) You can only put the thermostat in one way for the two halves to close properly. Check carefully how its put together when disassembling things.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:58 PM   #10
2007FocusGuy
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
1) On the focus, its three bolts that bolt the housing to the block. Maybe the escape's is different, make sure you put everything back together as it was originally.

2) You can only put the thermostat in one way for the two halves to close properly. Check carefully how its put together when disassembling things.

Sounds good. I've done thermostats, alternators, headers, Lord knows what else on various other vehicles before, including my own. I guess the reason I'm so cautious and stupid about this specific job is becuase it's my mother's vehicle and I want to take any and all precautions. I appreicate all your help. I think the part comes in this evening. Will tackle it tomorrow morning. I'll post my results. You either see a "Hell Yeah! Job done! Woot!" or "Oh sh**. I did something..." lol

Again, thanks for all the help!

Edit: One last question. All the vehicles I've done t-stat swaps and water pumps, coolant flushes, etc, they were open system. With the 2.0 zetec being closed system, is there any special thing I need to do to make sure all air pockets get out?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.