2002 Focus Engine Swap - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Engine & Transmission Swap

Engine & Transmission Swap The place to chat about any engine and transmission swap.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-07-2011, 11:52 AM   #1
Herny330
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92531
What I Drive: 2002 Red Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Herny330 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Unhappy 2002 Focus Engine Swap

Ok guys i've been following the forums for maybe a week now but still have some questions i need answered, any input would help.

I currently own a 2002 ford focus with a 2.0L SOHC engine, that completely broke down on me... I had a crack in my water reservoir and this lead to a serious overheat in my engine. Long story short, I am stuck with a Focus that has a blown head gasket, major piston damage, and header damage with some rust....

Me and my mom have decided an engine swap is needed but i want to know some more specifics about a swap for a newer year like an '04. Is a zetec or svt possible? If so, do i need new mounts or anything like that?

I still need the Chilton manual but can somebody Please give some input because i love focuses and plan to keep my for awhile.
Thanks Adam

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2011, 12:28 PM   #2
Magas Corada
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 68891
What I Drive: 2002 Twilight Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Magas Corada Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
model years are as follows 1999(2000)-2004 first gen; 2005-2007 second gen; 2008-2011 third gen (Americanized); 2012-present fourth gen.

there are only a few slight differences to the car during the first and second gen model years. literally the only things they changed were a front end redesign, new interior design, a few changes to the suspension and weight of the car, and an engine update to the new Duratec platform. Pretty much any engine from the 2000-2007 range will work just fine. I'd recommend the Zetec DOHC because I found one on ebay brand new in the factory crate for $1000.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:27 AM   #3
Herny330
Focus Rookie

Good stuff, Thanks! Two things, I currently have a SOHC i would love to have a DOHC but is that going to be pricey to swap? What parts should i expect ot research for such a swap?
Old 12-08-2011, 06:33 PM   #4
FLYLOW
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 34077
What I Drive: Gen Coupe Rspec

FF Reputation: 4 FLYLOW Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
just the engine. everything else should bolt right up. search local junk yards, they shouldnt be over $1000 for a used, complete engine

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-2004-FO...sories&vxp=mtr
Old 12-08-2011, 06:54 PM   #5
xShiFTx
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 59110
What I Drive: 02 Sangria Red SE

FF Reputation: 5 xShiFTx Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx3ss View Post
just the engine. everything else should bolt right up. search local junk yards, they shouldnt be over $1000 for a used, complete engine

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-2004-FO...sories&vxp=mtr
Don't listen to this guy.

If you swap from a SOHC to a Zetec motor you will have to change quite a few things. Such as engine bay wiring harness, ecu, engine mounts, power steering pump, power steering lines, coolant lines, intake, throttle body, Flex pipe, etc.. This is not a complete list by any means. I suggest doing some research on these forums if you decide you want to go this route.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:18 PM   #6
FLYLOW
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 34077
What I Drive: Gen Coupe Rspec

FF Reputation: 4 FLYLOW Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Well thought it would, guess not.

With that said just get another sohc and swap them out. Less headaches
Old 12-09-2011, 12:40 AM   #7
Herny330
Focus Rookie

@zx3ss : I know its not that easy but i appreciate the optimism.

@xShiFTx : Thanks! I didn't really know what to expect when it comes to the differences between years.. My plan was to get a newer engine for my car or even an upgrade such as an SVT. I'm still interested so I will definitely continue searching threads. If you, or anybody else who reads this, FINDS THREADS THAT MIGHT HELP PLEASE REPLY WITH A LINK TO SHARE THE KNOWLEDGE. I dont plan to have the $2,000 to buy an engine till the end of January so any information until then is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Adam
Old 12-13-2011, 10:57 PM   #8
xShiFTx
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 59110
What I Drive: 02 Sangria Red SE

FF Reputation: 5 xShiFTx Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I don't have any good links off hand - I found all of the info on doing my swap here on the forums though. Most of the time I just searched "zetec swap" in this sub-forum and read all of the threads to collect info.

One thing you need to keep in mind is that midway through 2002 the wiring for the ECU changed. You need to figure out what side your car sits on. Mine had a build date of May 2002 and was on the 00-02.5 side, so I used the ECU and wiring harness out of a 2000.

A zetec swap for under 2k should easily be do-able.. An SVT swap is going to be tougher I'd imagine.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #9
SVTech
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 93772
What I Drive: 2003 Sonic Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 1 SVTech Good Standing Member
Like several already stated- you have to change ALOT of things to swap to a different engine. The mounting locations are the same in 1st and 2nd Gen.. as are the axles and transmissions, but for the svt swap there are diffences in the clutch and flywheel depth from the zetec. If you do decide to go for gold and SVT swap it, I may still have a bunch of parts to sell to you for the swap. I'm going duratec with my SVT- so I have everything except the engine for your swap.. But my advice is buy a totalled out focus that still runs, and swap everything over to yours. Totalled Foci don't go for much- less than the 2g you plan to spend on a motor. Other wise plan to spend another 2g for all the parts to complete the swap. Just my $ .02
Old 01-25-2012, 05:44 AM   #10
J0EC00L
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86480
What I Drive: 2001 Ford Focus

Points 4,633, Level 43
Points: 4,633, Level: 43 Points: 4,633, Level: 43 Points: 4,633, Level: 43
Level Up 42% Completed
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 J0EC00L Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
I did the swap. It was easy.

Here is my post on it.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272460

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.