Lifter Noise Extraction - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-06-2011, 10:34 PM   #1
Br3nn1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 92455
What I Drive: 2001 Platinum Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Br3nn1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Unhappy Lifter Noise Extraction

Well that time has come again for the necessary Tune-Up. I have been noticing erratic clicking like i drive a diesel, so presumably its lifters as its coming from the top.

Buying the items today, i came across a lifter silencer from a brand called 'Solder Seal Gunk' (Yellow bottle, 354ml) ... Has anyone used this product before? It's a bad/good thing to do? Don't bother with it just get the damn things checked and fixed? Mind you i do not have the necessary tools...and the country i'm in could barely handle looking after there own car so why bother with mine...

I heard noisy lifters are a semi extreme problem most of the time, and any form of help i can get to stop it sounding like a Toyota Hilux would be great :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2011, 10:40 PM   #2
fhh02a
HATCH NATION

Fan#: 57548
What I Drive: 2004, Pitch Black Zx3

FF Reputation: 13 fhh02a Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
well, I dont know if tht stuff would help. I just live with the noise and go on.

HATCH NATION..#01
B-S-T
SOUTHERN FANATICS
GEN CHAT
MK1
Old 12-06-2011, 10:51 PM   #3
ah1f39
Alone in the Cave

Fan#: 70006
What I Drive: 2000 Explorer 4x4

FF Reputation: 28 ah1f39 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Dont put that junk in your engine!

Are you sure it's the lifters? Or could it be noisy fuel injectors?
Old 12-06-2011, 10:52 PM   #4
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
If it's something that's just developed, it isn't the lifters.
More likely would be a accessory belt pulley and/or tensioner.
Second in line are the pulleys for the timing belt.

There is no additive of 'snake oil' that will calm the noise our lifters make. The zetec is a solid lifter design and by design there has to be some clearance. That clearance is where the noise comes from. Think of it like the cam lobe slapping the lifter, vs a hydraulic lifter where the cam is in constant contact with the lifter.

Additives are for hydraulic lifters. By the majority, the additives clean the built up gunk out of them and try to make them function as new again.
Mechanical lifters either work or don't. No saving them, replacement is the only remedy.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:55 PM   #5
Br3nn1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 92455
What I Drive: 2001 Platinum Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Br3nn1 Good Standing Member
@ iminhell ............................ that sucks :(!! Appreciate the advise.. i just figured that the whole circulation of oil movement could have had some effect on it.... shrugs :(

Appreciate it.. service is gonna be done tomorrow XD

And no.. this has been the same problem for approx 36k miles
Old 12-08-2011, 09:41 PM   #6
FecalRocket
Focus Addict

Fan#: 75116
What I Drive: 07 Liquid Gray ST

FF Reputation: 3 FecalRocket Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
This is what my car sounds like and is what ive been told is lifters causing the noise. Only happens when the car is returning down to idle.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Not sure if thats what yours sounds like or not... I have a warranty still and they refuse to fix the issue because it hasnt failed yet. My warranty ends here REALLY soon in about 3,000-6,000 miles so i think they just dont want to fix it. Starting to piss me off.

Is that really lifters (tappets or buckets or whatever) thats making the noises??? mine did randomly happen after running my car pretty hard and getting the RPM's pretty high
Old 12-09-2011, 12:45 AM   #7
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FecalRocket View Post
This is what my car sounds like and is what ive been told is lifters causing the noise. Only happens when the car is returning down to idle.

Not sure if thats what yours sounds like or not... I have a warranty still and they refuse to fix the issue because it hasnt failed yet. My warranty ends here REALLY soon in about 3,000-6,000 miles so i think they just dont want to fix it. Starting to piss me off.

Is that really lifters (tappets or buckets or whatever) thats making the noises??? mine did randomly happen after running my car pretty hard and getting the RPM's pretty high

Your's sounds like a failing timing chain guide to me. IIRC they are based on oil pressure. If either the guide becomes worn or the solenoid becomes plugged up with gunk, the guide can't move far enough/fast enough to take up the slack in the chain, and the chain makes a ticking sound as oil pressure drops. Generally it's only on decel because then there is slack on the intake side of the chain. Under acceleration there is naturally tension on the intake side of the chain.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:07 AM   #8
ponty47
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 116894
What I Drive: 51 Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec 3dr

FF Reputation: 1 ponty47 Good Standing Member
My 2001 Focus 1.8 rattles/taps/clicks. You can hear 'a noise' under idle, however the noise is most prolific when the throttle is held around the half way mark, normally a tad below. Im not sure if its lifters or as mentioned perhaps the solenoid. Dont think it'll be the belt tensioner as this was replaced last march after it failed. Is due for a service tho. Ps, the noise is around the cam cover. Help?

Bookmarks & Social Networks