How to make a intercooler cool better - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-10-2011, 06:28 PM   #1
oknvragain
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 48054
What I Drive: 06,RED,ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 oknvragain Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
How to make a intercooler cool better

My intake air temps on my drive home are pretty high. Below is a pic of my intercooler. If anyone has any ideas on how to flow air better while keeping the look decent i'm all ears. My initial thought is to cut out the grill that covers a couple portions of the intercooler but i'm not sure that i'm going to like the look of it, and how much of a difference doing that will make.

Your feedback is appreciated!!!!!

42lb bosch injectors
Tune by Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2011, 07:22 PM   #2
mlbbaseball
Shot me 3 deer!!!

Fan#: 53541
What I Drive: 01 zx3 s2 x2, 02 SVT, Jeep Cherokee

FF Reputation: 42 mlbbaseball Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (68)
upgrade the IC, throw an Air-water pipe/IC on there, or get the SAP front end which has a larger opening

2004 SVT EAP partout, PM me with needs.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:34 PM   #3
oknvragain
Focus Enthusiast

sounds great but financially speaking it's not an option.
42lb bosch injectors
Tune by Tom
Old 08-10-2011, 08:10 PM   #4
drostedrummer89
I <3 my SVT

Fan#: 69059
What I Drive: 2002 Sonic SVT

FF Reputation: 8 drostedrummer89 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
While upgrading the intercooler would be ideal, have you made sure you're venting as much heat out of the engine bay as possible? Is your turbo manifold, downpipe, dump tube, flex pipe and turbo housing wrapped and blanketed? That's a very cheap job, and WILL reduce engine bay temps, reducing charge pipe temps, therefore reducing iat's. Also if you don't mind the look, hood spacers and removal of the rubber weatherstripping will vent the engine bay as well. Another thing you can do is make sure 100% of the air that passes through the lower grill is passing THROUGH the intercooler, not around it. You can make plates on either side of the ic where the couplers are, preventing the air from going past them and doing nothing productive.

If you are really good at fabbing (or willing to experiment) you can cut openings in your hood, weld a mesh grill in the opening, and voila- you have hood vents. People may call "rice" on you, until you smoke them :-)

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile
Old 08-10-2011, 08:34 PM   #5
PSUrivie
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 67329
What I Drive: Boostin in the Mid-A

FF Reputation: 15 PSUrivie Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
How about water/meth injection. That'll lower your IAT's
Old 08-10-2011, 09:21 PM   #6
oknvragain
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by drostedrummer89 View Post
While upgrading the intercooler would be ideal, have you made sure you're venting as much heat out of the engine bay as possible? Is your turbo manifold, downpipe, dump tube, flex pipe and turbo housing wrapped and blanketed? That's a very cheap job, and WILL reduce engine bay temps, reducing charge pipe temps, therefore reducing iat's. Also if you don't mind the look, hood spacers and removal of the rubber weatherstripping will vent the engine bay as well. Another thing you can do is make sure 100% of the air that passes through the lower grill is passing THROUGH the intercooler, not around it. You can make plates on either side of the ic where the couplers are, preventing the air from going past them and doing nothing productive.

If you are really good at fabbing (or willing to experiment) you can cut openings in your hood, weld a mesh grill in the opening, and voila- you have hood vents. People may call "rice" on you, until you smoke them :-)

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile
To start I moved my intake. I was thinking it was going to be an expensive option but I happened to find a 45 that would make the job possible. Now that i have a cold air intake instead of a short ram i think that'll help. I very much so liked your input on the intercooler. I'm pretty handy when it comes to fabbing something up so i'll probably do the ducting on the end of the intercooler pipes this weekend. I'll be sure to post pics when it's done! Thanks guys.
42lb bosch injectors
Tune by Tom
Old 08-10-2011, 09:46 PM   #7
drostedrummer89
I <3 my SVT

Fan#: 69059
What I Drive: 2002 Sonic SVT

FF Reputation: 8 drostedrummer89 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
Yea shrouds will do far more than removing even all of the plastic bumper that blocks the intercooler. You have to look at the surface area you have there. 1/2" of plastic that's 18" long, or two 6" square spaces where air is going past the ic. If my math is right, that's 72 square inches of surface area, as opposed to 9 square inches.

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile
Old 08-10-2011, 10:52 PM   #8
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Lets see the pictures first

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 08-11-2011, 11:30 AM   #9
1stCarFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88398
What I Drive: 2000 Red Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 1stCarFocus Good Standing Member
Try driving faster so more air will go past the intercooler. JK, I like the idea of shrouds to keep air from going around the IC, instead of through it.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:29 PM   #10
03OrangeSVT
LETS TURN DIRT!!!!

Fan#: 19169
What I Drive: MINI Cooper S TURBO

FF Reputation: 152 03OrangeSVT Excellent Standing Member03OrangeSVT Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Do none of you guys pay attention to the things I've done.....?????

The easiest and cheapest way to make it more efficient is to make a couple of pieces to direct more air through it.

I took a single piece of aluminum that was the same length as the radiator support bracket, bent it down and made a small scoop out of it that barely stuck out below the lip on the front of the car and used it to basically ram more air through the IC, radiator and condensor.

It dropped my IAT to ambient temps and the car (with a 180* T-stat) ran around 170* while going down the highway on a 100* day with 90% humidity.

Basically any thing you can do to make air go through the IC instead of around it will make it work better.... most race cars box in their IC's/Rad's to get maximum cooling.
2004 Harley V-Rod.... sex on wheels
2011 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Limited
[/b]

Bookmarks & Social Networks