More Info on Tumble Flap Delete - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-05-2011, 06:15 PM   #11
S0C0nFused
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 39405
What I Drive: 2007 TorD-Red ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 77 S0C0nFused Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
OK, I have to ask this, so don't take this the wrong way.
Are you SURE you have the correct colors?
Why?
Every wire has a code and a primary color that designates its function. The code has to match the color or else it all goes to sh_t.
Example: 15-RL20 GN/OG
Breakout: 15 = GN = Voltage, Ignition switch in start or run (not overload protected)
(OG is an identification color only)
RL = Solenioids
20 = System / Connection

In your tracing, you give BN (primary color) at pins 2 (IMRC Control Module) and Pin 26 (ECU Connector A). The color does not match the code. So either you have the wrong wire, or the wrong color, or my book is not truthful (again, it is for 2007). For now, I am going to assume your BN is actually BK and see how far I get.
Last of the Hatches #28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2011, 07:18 PM   #12
AMMO-Duke
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84715
What I Drive: 2005 Grey ZX4

FF Reputation: 8 AMMO-Duke Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I am not very experienced with wiring diagrams. I thought the codes were just colors. WH/RD=White with Red stripe, BN/RD=Brown with Red stripe etc...
I just wrote down the wire colors I found on the wires at the corresponding connectors. If this is correct, then Yes I am 100% sure about the colors that I found. And as far as the Black vs. Brown, it is hard to tell the difference between the two so I cut open the wire loom and got a look at the wire in a clean spot to verify. Is it possible that it is supposed to be black but is faded to brown? I don't know. Hope this helps.

Maybe tomorrow I can try and take pics of the wires on the connectors if this will help. I will not be able to get a good shot of the ECU connector though.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:35 PM   #13
S0C0nFused
Focus Fanatic

It's OK. Think I got a reason here. BN (brown) is color for "sensor signal return". I.E. Ground (although not a 'common' ground (hope that makes sense)).
GN (green) is switched power ( as in ignition switch)
WHT (8) is sensor signal
BK is always ground
So what you wrote is correct. I assume that pin 50 on PCM just goes to ground (it is undesirable to have an output float).
Well, this is all very interesting. The IMRC is powered by the PCM (WHT. Sensor signal) with a programable ground (pin 26).
What needs to be determined is if pin 26 is programed to ground always (always true) or if it is being switched. But what bugs me is, I assumed that pin 26 would be RPM derived (thus opening or closing the IMTV). But it suggests its load driven(?)
Here is a schematic changed to reflect AMMO-Duke wire trace. I am going to have to let this soak for a bit.
ADD >> i forgot to add this. See the dotted line figure 8 around the WH/RD and GN/BU wires. That indicates twisted pair wire. I.E. Data. So the IMRC module is sending data to the PCM (or vice versa?). just thought that all should be made aware.

Last of the Hatches #28
Old 12-05-2011, 08:58 PM   #14
S0C0nFused
Focus Fanatic

"I thought the codes were just colors."
Little trivia for you. Way back when cars were new. There were two colors. Red and Black. Red was always battery, Black was always ground. Then for reasons at the time, they introduced a switch to control the when and where of battery power. So they made those 'switchable' power wires green. As more functions were added, they ran out of primary colors, and so started adding a colored stripe. But eventually even that was not enough, so they began 'coding' the wires by function. Long story short, The color is only for 'humans' for diagnosis and tracing (and it's a tad rough anymore). The code is what identifies the function along with the connector and pin. That is why you cannot just go by the color anymore. A color/stripe might have multiple 'uses'. The number code tells you which one it is.
Fun stuff ya?
ADD >> I should have just stated this 1st. The primary color is what defines the wire usage. The stripe is only to distinguish a wire within the primary color function group. So a black/white is the same function as black/red. I.E. ground.
Last of the Hatches #28
Old 12-05-2011, 09:30 PM   #15
AMMO-Duke
Focus Enthusiast

Cool stuff to know.

Also, I can shed some light on how things work within the ECU programming that my help in understanding the Pin functions.

The IMRC(tumble flaps) are being controlled by the IMRC function in the tune software. Remember: They define IMRC as the device that changes runner length between long and short(what we call IMTV). So at this point, the computer thinks it it controlling IMTV when it is actually controlling tumble flaps on the 2.0. I am not sure how this works on the 2.3.

The IMRC function is activated base on RPM vs. throttle position. When it is activated it is strictly on/off.

When IMRC is activated, it has 2 tables that modify spark in other areas.

It would make sense to me that externally, the functions are strictly on/off because the decisions are being made inside the ECU with no input from IMRC/IMTV. The only data that I can think of going back to ECU is maybe just verification that the IMRC/IMTV is functioning as directed.

I hope this helps.

Also, I know this happening for a fact. Before I did the mods, if I unplugged the IMRC(tumble flap) control mod/solenoid, the ECU threw a trouble code for IMRC. In reverse, if I disabled IMRC in the ECU, the tumble flaps were dead.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:47 PM   #16
S0C0nFused
Focus Fanatic

Yes, that helps alot.
Please define the following for me.
"When IMRC is activated" >> Activation means the IMRC flaps are fully open?
Just by looking at the manual. It appears that the IMRC module is a vacuum motor and switch. Is it the IMRC module which physically actuates the IMRC flaps? It also appears that there is a vacuum line from the IMRC module to the IMRC solenoid. And another vacuum line from the solenoid into the intake (I think. it is a bad cutaway view). Based on what you wrote, that would flow. The IMRC module senses whether the motor actually moved. So the data flow is to the PCM reporting the state of the IMRC flap position. So this is what is hanging me up. I had always assumed (I am bad for that) that once the engine was up to temp, the IMRC flaps went 'open' and just stayed there. Apparently that is not true. So, going way out on a limb here, but thinking really simple. What if the IMTV is nothing more than a 'reverse vacuum motor' from the IMRC, and the 'short/long' runner selection is nothing more than a general amount of vacuum in the intake as long as the PCM IMRC switched 'ground' is true? going by the schematics that is the only thing I can imagine. It does give us a sort of quad-state function. (although it sounds hokey as hell).
Of course, we have to remember that there is a possibility that a D2.3 is actually wired as depicted in the manual. That would imply that the D2.3 has incompatible tuning from the D2.0 (incompatible as in diff harness and PCM pin function). which validates your findings, but also supports IMTV in a D2.3 (I think. Perty sure anyway. I have no idea what I just said! MOMMY!)
Last of the Hatches #28
Old 12-06-2011, 09:51 AM   #17
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 52 felixthecat Great Standing Member
Keep this going> I'm learning too!
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 12-06-2011, 11:05 AM   #18
AMMO-Duke
Focus Enthusiast

"Activation means the IMRC flaps are fully open?"

After thinking about this, it seems a bit more complicated.

First, let me try to define the parts so we have that straight. What your schematic calls the IMRC solenoid(2 wires), is the device that has vacuum lines in and out and I believe it is just a solenoid that opens/releases vacuum going to the actuator/module. What you schematic calls the IMRC module(3 wires) is the device that actually operates the flaps.

Second, The IMRC module is spring loaded to default the flaps in the open position when the vehicle is off and/or when there is no vacuum. I believe it was designed that way so if there was a vacuum leak going to IMRC, the flaps will remain open and the engine will not be choked at high throttle positions. It takes vacuum to overcome the spring and close the flaps. However, once engine is running, the ECU keeps the flaps in the closed position until IMRC activation parameters are met and it directs the flaps open. I assume at this point that the solenoid releases vacuum to the module allowing the spring to open the flaps. So, the physical default position for the flaps is open, but once the car is running the ECU defaults the flaps closed until directed to open. Does this make sense? My brain hurts!

I am pretty sure this is how it works. When I get home this evening, I will pull out these parts and verify that I am correct. I still have them in a box somewhere.

Also, engine temp has nothing to do with IMRC(tumble flap) operation. They are always closed at idle until you meet the RPM vs. throttle position parameters for activation. On the 2.0, not sure about 2.3.

Better let me verify all of this before we go any further.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:44 PM   #19
S0C0nFused
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
Keep this going> I'm learning too!
Good! It is interesting! Hey! You have an ST. That means you have the D2.3 with the IMRC and the IMTV. You up to cross check some wires against what AMMO-Duke has already traced? You also have the same year which would confirm whether there was a minor color change year to year.
Last of the Hatches #28
Old 12-06-2011, 05:56 PM   #20
S0C0nFused
Focus Fanatic

"I assume at this point that the solenoid releases vacuum to the module allowing the spring to open the flaps"

Ummm. How would a solenoid release vacuum if it's 'source' (the intake) still has vacuum? By chance, the IMRC module does not have a small hole drilled in it? Suggesting that there is a vacuum release solenoid in it (which would go a long way to explain why they hooked up the module to pin 26).
Last of the Hatches #28

Bookmarks & Social Networks