MCPunk's build thread: 2004 Screaming Yellow SVT EAP ZX3 Focus (PWSC) - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom

Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom Post pictures and information of your Focus being built or your car images here. We want to see your Focus! More Images: Visit Our Online Ford Focus Gallery

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-21-2014, 01:17 PM   #1
MCPunk79
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89690
What I Drive: 2004 ScreamingYellow Ford Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 MCPunk79 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
MCPunk's build thread: 2004 Screaming Yellow SVT EAP ZX3 Focus (PWSC)

Well, it's time to start a build thread on my car, as the modifications are starting to get extreme.

My name is Mike from MN and this is my second SVTF. I sold my Sonic Blue '02 last summer and I missed it dearly. It had some high miles and I did some sorting of the car before I sold it off... but I counted the days until I could find myself in another one. I've really enjoyed the Focus community and I've even attended the "Focus Rising" event last year.

on to the car... on Autotrader I found a completely stock screaming yellow ZX3 Focus SVT EAP in Greenville, SC with only 62K on it. The two colors I was after was either screaming yellow or competition orange. To find one all stock and with this low of miles I assumed would be quite a task, and it was. The car had ALL of it's documentation including the vehicle identification number and original window sticker. This car is one of 121 made in Screaming Yellow (d6). It is number 1522 of 1978 ZX3 SVT's made in 2004.

The shipping was a nightmare as going through a brokerage company forced me to wait over a month for pick-up. Because of the transition of Winter to Spring, not too many willing drivers wanting to take the car up to the icy, cold tundra of Northern MN. I had the car delivered to Autonation of White Bear Lake (formally Tousley Ford). A big thanks to Steve (Steve@Tasca) who agreed to have the car delivered AND was nice enough to give the car a good run around. Steve was also nice enough to let me give his prided SVT a good thrashing as well... for comparisons sake :)

I also had the car serviced; FULL 60K maintenance complete and new plugs and wires. Car still needs a clutch and brakes/pads on all four corners. Car will also need some cosmetic issues cleared up as well, a few dents and some stone chips. The car right now has ONE modification; a "Focus Sport" front strut bar which I picked up last week.

A maintenance story on the car from when I purchased it last May 2013:

It's a 2004 Screaming Yellow Ford Focus SVT ZX3 EAP with just over 62,000 original miles and was completely stock. It recently had the tires changed (Falken Ze612's), and a new thermostat housing. It has all it's documentation, window sticker, authentication number sheet, etc. It is also is set up with LoJack. I purchased it from an English gentleman who was the 2nd owner and an engineer in the automobile business. The original owner of the car was an older gentleman who lived in FL. (where the car was originally purchased)then moved the car out to CA. were the 2nd owner had it sent to Greenville, SC.

The previous owner provided some youtube videos of the car prior to purchase:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92NEJ...ature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qohW0...ature=youtu.be

This was the car being transported from Greenville, SC to White Bear Lake, MN. where I had it delivered on May 4, 2013:

The car was in need of a good cleaning/detail in order for it to live up to MY expectations! But overall, after driving the car, it was in GREAT shape.

I had the car completely checked out by Tousley Ford, and had Steve give the car a good once over. I trust Steve (now @ Tasca Ford) wholeheartedly as he is a pillar in the Focus community. He's given me some GREAT tips, tricks and ideas for the car.

HUGE props to Steve (now @ Tasca Ford), and a big thanks to Autonation of White Bear for the work they did on the car. They got the car all sorted out for me and ready for it's long journey home. It's running very well now. Car looks very clean and sorted underneath.

After the car got a good bill of health, took some nice pictures of the car after a good wash.

I almost crapped a coat hanger when I saw the condition of the Interior... I've purchased EAP Recaros before, for my '02 SVT (non EAP) and they were nowhere near in the condition that these are in... I was very happy with that.

I cleaned up the interior a bit with some deep plastic cleaner and some cockpit premium from 1Z, then cleaned the seats with Chemical Guys leather cleaner, The results speak for themselves:

Engine bay after:

Timing belt has been DONE! It took a while to get it "fine tuned" but it's working better than I ever anticipated! a HUGE thanks to COSVT (chris) Tasca Ford (steve) LITESTORM (rick) and LOADED (matt) who all had their hands dirtied by my little SVT... I drove the car around for around a month plus in a "limp mode" when the timing was off, and the car was SO sluggish, which is similar to how my old SVT was, making me realize how well the car runs when the NEW timing belt assembly has been put into place. COSVT did a majority of the work, he certainly knows his stuff! We decided not to install the new water pump I picked up along with all the other parts I picked up from Autonation at White Bear. The car now has a lot more pickup and it's a joy to hammer on every now and again... :thumbup:

The brakes are done as well. New pads and rotors all the way around. HUGE thanks again to COSVT who got me Centric pads and Carbon rotors from the brake wear house down in the Twin Cities. If chris chimes in, he can tell me what kind of pads and rotors they were again... I still have the boxes for them. The front setup was easy, did it myself, but needed that special tool for the rear setup, which COSVT was nice enough to assist with it... AGAIN!

You can't have go without some great STOP!

I decided to replace the fog lights as the old ones were far too pitted to save with a polish. I picked up some yellow overlays to go along with the new OEM fogs. I also picked up some white H10 5K 100w bulbs for the fogs. Easy install... no issues

Overall, the light transfer is better than stock... I do have to check and find out why my driver's side side marker and upper headlight are not functioning...? I don't know if both bulbs are out or if it's something else.

and for those that didn't notice, I do have an ST170 grille as well... which was my first exterior mod I did to the car... it transforms it VERY nicely, I really like the look of it, changes it altogether.

also picked up some new decals from TFB designs, and picked up my Vanity plate:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Headlights polished up:

2002 Sonic Blue Ford Focus SVT #661 SOLD
2004 Screaming Yellow Ford Focus SVT#1522
2006 Wicked White Mitsubishi Lancer Evo IX
2008 Grabber Orange Ford Mustang (Roush Stage 3)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2014, 01:18 PM   #2
MCPunk79
Focus Enthusiast

Clutch time!! After talking it over with COSVT (Chris), we decided to go with the Spec Stage 3+ clutch and lightweight steel flywheel. The clutch has both reliability and longevity and will also hold any power I put into the car. I wanted something that would last and give me the option for further modifications (supercharger) in the future. The stage 3+ is good for 100k. I went with the steel flywheel to reduce clutch chatter.

disassemble:

cross member and cat/downpipe:

transmission out:

number:

OEM stock dual mass:

Car also had all the fluids drained; power steering, brake fluid and oil. Everything is now fresh and ready.

stock clutch, pressure plate and dual mass flywheel:

Dual mass flywheel:

New clutch and pressure plate:

installed:

also needed to install a passenger side CV half shaft... as the boot got cut during the timing belt change this past summer. O'Reily's had them for 55 dollars.

Car now runs like a completely different machine. After install drove it home 280 miles with NO issue. Clutch will have approx a 1500 mile break in period. Clutch pedal is about 1/4 stiffer than it was stock, which is fine for me.

Car also had the master cylinder replaced as well. It started leaking right after the clutch install. Ordered a Centric master cylinder.
HUGE thanks to Chris (COSVT03) and Matt (LOADED) for all the help with the install. I couldn't be more happy with it's current setup!

As many of you may have seen in my other posts, I enjoy dabbling in the detailing world, and those of you who have seen my car(s) know that I enjoy a clean car both inside and out. Prior to winter I gave the car a FULL detail before the car had a taste of it's very FIRST Minnesota winter.

With my trusty tools in hand, I think I was ready to start the weekend! I had cleaned the car with some Eco-wash, a waterless wash product that has both a clay and a small amount of wax combined. I then clay barred various "rough parts" of the car using a clay bar and some "luber" lubricant. I then prepped the car with a pre-wax cleanser from Griot's. I could tell this car was taken care of, there were very minor swirl marks in it for being a 9yr old car. I decided I would use orange Lake Country pads and the FULL Chemical Guys V-series of polishes. I used only the most aggressive Extreme compound, V32 and a yellow pad, on the front bumper as this was the most "damaged" area. The rest of the car went through the rest of the series; Hybrid compound- V34, Cutting polish- V36, and then optical grade final polish V38 with a blue pad. The whole process was quite time consuming, taking about a day and a half... or 12 hours... give or take.

I used the 6" orbital on the larger portions of the car and the 3" on the smaller portions, like the front & rear bumpers and the A-pillars. When I was done compounding and polishing with the V-series products, I hit the car with 2 layers of JetSeal 109 to prevent any fading. I used this on the paint, the trim and the headlights and taillights. I then went with alternating layers of Zaino's Z-5 "world's best car polish" and Z-2 "show car polish". I also used Zaino's window polish on all the windows... I don't have a glass polishing pad as of yet, so I just put it on by hand. The TPO plastic front lip, front grille and rear grille got 1Z Einzett deep plastic cleaner. The wheels got cleaned with Sonax wheel cleaner and fine brush. The tires got a dousing of G6 Hyper Coat for that matte black look. After all that I was finally ready to inspect it!

[URL=http://s696.photobucket.com/user/micolcle2/media/2004%20Ford%20Focus%20SVT%20EAP/DSC09073_zpsa1c4a952.jpg.html][IMG]http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/
Old 03-21-2014, 01:19 PM   #3
MCPunk79
Focus Enthusiast

Old 03-21-2014, 01:20 PM   #4
MCPunk79
Focus Enthusiast

Also picked a NEW set of shoes… Jon (ButteryBunz) was selling the Kazari KZ-1 wheels off his newly acquired Turbo SVT and sold them cheap!

The car he purchased came from Washington. I have seen the car on other forums and the car was a HUGE inspiration for me to build up my own Screaming Yellow SVT! The matte black wheel with yellow pinstripe is just perfect for the car! I really am liking it's current transformation.

I still need to pick up a set of Centric hub rings for the tires and hopefully a set of black lugs, but they're on now. I also had the car aligned by NTB in the Twin Cities as it needed an alignment BAD since we did the clutch and removed the front K-member. Thanks Jon!
Old 03-21-2014, 01:22 PM   #5
MCPunk79
Focus Enthusiast

Well as some of you have known, I've been searching for a BIG "power adder" to my SVT ever since I picked it up last May. I NEVER in a million years believed I would find what I've found… in my own backyard! In the small town of Aitkin, MN about 89 miles from where I live, a gentleman, Pat, just happens to have a COMPLETE PWSC (purchased from CFM, possibly one of the last kits sold by them) setup with tuner, original instruction manual, original under hood decals and in the original boxes! Kit has between 1-2,000 miles on the kit. Pat's car never ran right with this kit in place, because the previous owner of his SVT ran NOS through it… so the PWSC kit went up for sale, and I jumped on it! A HUGE thanks to Steve@Tasca for sending Pat my way! When I first talked with Pat, he had another buyer lined up… thankfully, after my strong encouragement, said buyer was pushed in front of a bus, and taken OUT of the picture! YES!

Enough jibber jabber, on to the pics!!!

I originally had plans to have the supercharger and TB port & polished by Stegemeier, but the price of almost 1k with shipping included, i'm not quite sure I'll go that route. The tuner does have a tune on it but I will have the car dyno'd once the kit is in place. I also will have the injectors gone through so that they are working as well. I don't think I'm going to mod anything else on the car, other than maybe the motor mounts. I just want the kit put in place on a stock car and see where it's at. Since I don't plan any other huge modifications to the car, a port & polish of the kit isn't a bad investment. Chris (COSVT) will be a gigantic help with doing the install, which I'm hoping to have done in the next few months. Stay tuned! Thanks for looking!
Old 03-21-2014, 01:33 PM   #6
volcomstone1966
RIP 02 SVT 0209

Fan#: 35104
What I Drive: 04 PWSC EAP SVT - 04 Kawasaki ZX6R

FF Reputation: 15 volcomstone1966 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (44)
nice pic up , idk if you have seen and idk if its to late but massive is making a small run of intakes for the Powerworks
04 SVT EAP #1131 -POWERWORKS-Torsen-Clutch Masters-Top Speed-Massive-Brembo-Fifteen52-Steeda-UNDER CONSTRUCTION
04 Kawasaki ZX6R
Old 03-21-2014, 01:37 PM   #7
volcomstone1966
RIP 02 SVT 0209

this might help you with PWs info on parts
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=243298

and the GB for the intake
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=378225
04 SVT EAP #1131 -POWERWORKS-Torsen-Clutch Masters-Top Speed-Massive-Brembo-Fifteen52-Steeda-UNDER CONSTRUCTION
04 Kawasaki ZX6R
Old 03-21-2014, 01:55 PM   #8
MCPunk79
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by volcomstone1966 View Post
THANKS! The first thread I've seenů this will help A LOT! Thank you very much!
Old 03-21-2014, 01:58 PM   #9
volcomstone1966
RIP 02 SVT 0209

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCPunk79 View Post
THANKS! The first thread I've seenů this will help A LOT! Thank you very much!
No problem , thats why i put it together when i was looking for parts i had to search over a bunch of threads and could not find a list like it
04 Kawasaki ZX6R
Old 03-21-2014, 03:36 PM   #10
420svt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95174
What I Drive: 2002 cd silver svt zx3

FF Reputation: 1 420svt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Nice svt man! Love the screaming yeller and yours is so fresh and so clean.
2002 svtf #912 (SALLY) turbo soon
2006 zx4 ( THEO) wifes whip sap soon
2000 zx3 (SABASIAN)wifes project
2002 svtf and 02 wagon se sold
Central Oregon focus guru

Bookmarks & Social Networks