anyone using premium gas ? - Page 7 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-2013)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-2013) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-31-2011, 11:28 AM   #61
JSR84
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87788
What I Drive: 2008 MazdaSpeed 3

FF Reputation: 1 JSR84 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgc333 View Post
The last sentence is related to the others because it is part of the same paragraph, that is english grammar. If that sentence was not related it would be part of another paragraph.
Well no kidding there linked in some fashion, the header of the paragraph is "Octane Recommendations", which is providing 4 individual recommendations/warnings related to octane. Anyways, interpret how you please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus805 View Post
The manual is clear. Premium improves performance. Manual notwithstanding, it stands to reason that higher octane is beneficial for a car with 12 to 1 compression. There are two questions the manual and common automotive sense don't answer. First, does premium solve any of the complaints like shuddering? Some on this forum have reported that it does. I use premium and have had no shuddering or other issues. Second, is the added cost worth it? I doubt premium's added cost is worth the performance gains or MPG gain (if any -- regular may give better MPG).

So as I see it, premium is worth a try if you've had shuddering or other performance issues, or if you're a leadfoot who wants to see whether there is a power improvement.

Once I have about 4k miles, I intend to switch off premium to see how regular compares in the fuel economy department as that is my principal concern.
The way an engine is tune has more to do with the octane requirement than the compression ration does. A 12:1 carbureted engine can be tune to run on 87, it won't make near as much power as if it were tuned to run 87 due to the ignition advance you would be limited to. DI engines are quite different when tuning because all the benefits it provides, such as better atomization which leads into better air charge cooling and so on and so on. Needless to say you can run more aggressive tunes with lower octane fuels on a DI engine vs their convention fuel injected counterparts.

Last edited by JSR84; 12-31-2011 at 04:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2011, 03:42 PM   #62
Strix
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85696
What I Drive: Not a Ford

FF Reputation: 0 Strix Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR84 View Post
This paragraph is providing us with 4 key pieces of information 1) You vehicle is designed to run on 87. 2) Some stations offer fuels with an octane rating below 87. 3) Running fuel with octane ratings below 87 is not recommended. 4) Running premium will improve performance.
THIS. It seems quite clear.

It certainly does not state "premium fuel improves performance ONLY in areas where 'regular' fuel with octane ratings below 87 is sold."
Old 12-31-2011, 03:55 PM   #63
josh1899
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92642
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium 5 Door

FF Reputation: 1 josh1899 Good Standing Member
My 6.2 Raptor was rated at 400 HP on regular and 411 on premium. Said same thing in manual about improved performance on premium.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:02 PM   #64
Strix
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85696
What I Drive: Not a Ford

FF Reputation: 0 Strix Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh1899 View Post
My 6.2 Raptor was rated at 400 HP on regular and 411 on premium. Said same thing in manual about improved performance on premium.
You must live in an area where 85 octane gas is sold.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:18 PM   #65
JSR84
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87788
What I Drive: 2008 MazdaSpeed 3

FF Reputation: 1 JSR84 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh1899 View Post
Werd, my G8 made 8 more HP running 91 vs 87.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strix View Post
You must live in an area where 85 octane gas is sold.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:09 PM   #66
josh1899
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92642
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium 5 Door

FF Reputation: 1 josh1899 Good Standing Member
Nope. 87,91,93
Old 02-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #67
DAC17
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85128
What I Drive: 2012 Tricoat Yellow Blaze SE

FF Reputation: 1 DAC17 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgc333 View Post
The last sentence is related to the others because it is part of the same paragraph, that is english grammar. If that sentence was not related it would be part of another paragraph.
Have to say I agree with JSR84. Once the period is used, the next sentence does not have to follow directly, and it sounds like two different thoughts. Having said that, Ford could have made this a lot easier by being more specific in their recommendation, or just leaving it out. The language makes it very difficult to interpret.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:58 PM   #68
r1derbike
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62667
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport Hatch - Sterling Grey

FF Reputation: 4 r1derbike Good Standing Member
Premium did nothing for my shift into 4th gear shudder. No other gears exhibit this on my DCT, with Oct. flash.

87 works fine for me. Parsing and linguistic analysis does nothing to improve my gas mileage. Keeping my foot out of it does. Try it.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:23 PM   #69
ross smith
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93060
What I Drive: 2012, SilverFord Focus Hatch 1.6L

FF Reputation: 2 ross smith Good Standing Member
I run 95 octane on my German built Focus, it certainly performs better than the Standard 91octane.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:05 AM   #70
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAC17 View Post
Have to say I agree with JSR84. Once the period is used, the next sentence does not have to follow directly, and it sounds like two different thoughts. Having said that, Ford could have made this a lot easier by being more specific in their recommendation, or just leaving it out. The language makes it very difficult to interpret.
I think we're giving the authors and editors of the Owner's Manual way too much credit. After all, mine says that if you drive economically your message center flower will display more "pedals".

I doubt the sentence structure in the fuel grade discussion is intentional, leaving us to wonder what they meant.

Bookmarks & Social Networks