anyone using premium gas ? - Page 11 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #101
amoosenamedhank
Focus Addict

Fan#: 96374
What I Drive: 2012 SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 amoosenamedhank Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZfocus2012 View Post
Prior to the V-Pover/Optimax I had run a tank of Chevron 91 and Circle K 91 and saw little to no difference. So I can't say that the V-Power is that much better than the other premiums since others in other threads have said it takes multiple tanks for the ECU to adapt without a reset. But if this trend in MPG maintains, I will continue to use premium as it is a 5% premium at the pump, that appears to yield near a 10% increase in MPG. Others have said their cost per mile is less with premium. Plus, I think the car runs better on premium.
Well if you can stomach the price difference and the results are consistent, it doesn't really matter what's causing them.... just keep doing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2012, 05:45 PM   #102
Chaddz3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96992
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus S Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 17 Chaddz3 Great Standing Member
This whole Octane vs. Fuel Mileage thing in and of itself, doesn't really mean anything. The question is more of whether you are buying fuel with any significant amount of ethanol blended with it... Now all fuel sold in the US has some in it since they outlawed MTBE, but for all intents and purposes, E0 should be meant to mean the lowest amount of ethanol as required by Federal and/or your state..

Generally from my experience in where I live... They use ethanol to increase R+M / 2 octane numbers... which tend to hurt mileage as octane increases (all things being equal)...

Fuel Mileage numbers really don't mean anything other than bragging rights...
when it all comes down to it in the end...

Because...

The numbers that matter is the cost of fuel per mile driven .... which in my experience... the lower octane numbers (assuming no ethanol is present) produces the lowest cost per mile to operate..)

Where I Live ethanol blended fuel costs about 10 cents per gallon less at the pump (excluding premium)

.. but in the real world, the cost per mile is higher running ethanol blended fuel because i end up burning more of it for a given distance.
Now when comparing octane ratings to actual power outputs (especially with todays engine control technology) thats a whole different ball game.. and if you want maximum power potential from what is available under the hood, higher octanes may be exactly what you want.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:07 PM   #103
JoeRogan
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 95409
What I Drive: 2012 Metallic Grey Focus SE Sport

FF Reputation: 1 JoeRogan Good Standing Member
Oh great, another one of these threads

It's simple: bottom line, try running higher octane fuel and see if it makes a difference for you. If it does, is that difference enough to justify the price increase? If it is, go ahead and switch. It's not hard people.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:23 PM   #104
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 14 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
HAH HAH HAH.... I use 93 octane and get 35 mixed city driving.
My driving is about 75% city.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:49 PM   #105
Outlaw5.0
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84300
What I Drive: 2011 Ford Focus SES

FF Reputation: 1 Outlaw5.0 Good Standing Member
The 2012 TiVct 2.0 is 12:1 compression. The use of premium fuel will allow the ECM to add more timing compared to 87 octane regular gas. It's up to the user if they want the additional performance that premium gas allows.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:49 PM   #106
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRogan View Post
It's simple: bottom line, try running higher octane fuel and see if it makes a difference for you.
It's not that simple because of the variables involved. For example, gasoline with an octane rating of 92 from vendor A may have a different ethanol content than 92 octane from vendor B.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #107
AZfocus2012
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92484
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL 303A Focus

FF Reputation: 2 AZfocus2012 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
It's not that simple because of the variables involved. For example, gasoline with an octane rating of 92 from vendor A may have a different ethanol content than 92 octane from vendor B.
That is why, for this experiment, I have been sticking with Shell V-Power from the same station. The video showed Shell Optimax generated the greatest HP and Trq numbers. Optimax was later re-branded V-Power in the US. If you can believe what you read on the internet, a quick google search of Optimax/V-Power found articles that did seem to indicate that Shell worked at developing a premium fuel for later model, higher tech, cars that can take advantage of a higher octane/quality fuel. Whereas other manufacturers may have just primarily worked on an increase in octane alone.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:58 PM   #108
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97107
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Tri-Coat Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Focus YBTC Good Standing Member
MPG variables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
I filled up with non-ethanolized premium from a BP station and it did not seem to make any difference as far as MPG or performance that I could tell but there are tons of variables when dealing with fuel economy and I haven't tried any stopwatch runs to judge performance. For example, we've had a lot of really windy days lately and you will use a lot more fuel driving against the wind and having it at your back will increase it. Rain, even a light rain causing wet roads will reduce your MPGs more than you might think. I wish the Focus had a bit more fuel economy info to give besides an average on the trip meter but I'm coming from a Prius that gave quite a lot of info in that area. I may have to get one of those Scan Gauges or something similar eventually.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:37 AM   #109
r1derbike
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62667
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport Hatch - Sterling Grey

FF Reputation: 4 r1derbike Good Standing Member
I run the cheapest 87 octane piss-water closest to me, because I get a discount with my WM Discover.

I'm reminded of the git-er-done comedian, "Well douche me with some dirty dishwater!"
Old 04-27-2012, 04:42 AM   #110
heliosj228
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 97016
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 heliosj228 Good Standing Member
I live in Colorado where 'regular' is 85 octane. The manual says to use 87.. so I do. Otherwise I don't believe it makes a difference.

Bookmarks & Social Networks