anyone using premium gas ? - Page 10 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-26-2012, 03:19 PM   #91
amoosenamedhank
Focus Addict

Fan#: 96374
What I Drive: 2012 SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 amoosenamedhank Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBR17 View Post
Clearly I do as an extra 5+mpg would make a difference to someone that drives 25-30k miles a year. Understand the timing concept, but wasn't sure if there was some other federally mandated tree hugging gadget that might cause an issue with the motor or related components. Thanks for your smart ass reply.
If premium fuel made a 5+mpg difference you better believe Ford would recommend premium fuel. A higher octane merely has a higher ignition temp, you WILL NOT gain 5+mpg from it. The only reason you would use a higher octane fuel is to offset KR caused by pre-ignition or to advance timing for a performance benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
I got my car in July and I'm already past 22k miles. I'd recommend looking for ethanol-free gas stations in your area.

My gas mileage went up almost 5mpg when switching from winter blend 87 to ethanol-free 91. I'll try ethanol-free 87 soon, just as a price comparison kind of thing.
Good idea. There is actually a station on my way home that claims ethanol free. I might give it a try... depending on price. I live in MN, and almost ALL pump gas contains ethanol and I have a feeling there is going to be a price penalty to have it with out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2012, 03:22 PM   #92
electech
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85620
What I Drive: '12 Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 electech Good Standing Member
They need to take the corn back to the grocery store as it does far more good there!! Although our Focus has not arrived yet, our other Fords always go down in mileage at least 2 or 3 mpg when using ethanol blend and/or winter gas. Definitely couldn't hurt using 93 octane except the wallet. I will probably experiment some with it.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:28 PM   #93
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBR17 View Post
Clearly I do as an extra 5+mpg would make a difference to someone that drives 25-30k miles a year. Understand the timing concept, but wasn't sure if there was some other federally mandated tree hugging gadget that might cause an issue with the motor or related components. Thanks for your smart ass reply.

There are so many variables that it's hard to impossible to do a truly scientific test when you don't have control over most of the variables.

For one, most stations list the gas as having "Up to 10% ethanol" which means it could be anywhere from 0 to 10 and there's no way I know of to tell the difference. This variable alone could result in about 3%-4% difference in mpg.

Another is the weather and that could be as much as 20% or even more difference with all else being the same. Again, we don't have much control over the weather.

Then there's traffic and it's impact on stop-and-go driving. This could be 20% or more by itself.

Of course there the variable behind the wheel and that could be more than 30%.

In summary, when all these variables and a few others are taken into account, the mpg could vary, in a car like the 2012 FF, from less than 20mpg to just about 50mpg so parsing the cause of a 2-3mpg difference is just about impossible...

Brian
Old 04-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #94
TBR17
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 97229
What I Drive: 2012 Focus 5door SEL Premium Pkg

FF Reputation: 1 TBR17 Good Standing Member
[QUOTE=amoosenamedhank;4131276]If premium fuel made a 5+mpg difference you better believe Ford would recommend premium fuel. A higher octane merely has a higher ignition temp, you WILL NOT gain 5+mpg from it. The only reason you would use a higher octane fuel is to offset KR caused by pre-ignition or to advance timing for a performance benefit.

I'm also clear that premium won't make a 5+mpg difference. I am simply expecting more than 29mpg long term and with break-in and better fuel if it can be achieved I will look to that.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #95
AZfocus2012
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92484
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL 303A Focus

FF Reputation: 2 AZfocus2012 Good Standing Member
I am on my second tank of Shell V-Power/Optimax (premium91), and it appears to be at least a 3 mpg increase. On my regular back and forth to work I never got over 30mpg usually around 28. My first tank was 31.5mpg calculated not dash readout. It looks like my second tank could be even better. This was already being discussed in this thread with an interesting video.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284662
Old 04-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #96
dodgeguy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85952
What I Drive: 2009 black SES

FF Reputation: 1 dodgeguy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank View Post
Who cares? You MPG nuts drive me crazy. The manual states that the car was designed to run on 87 octane but could perform better on a higher octane. Basically the car may not retard timing as much if you have a slightly higher octane fuel.
LOL LOL
Old 04-26-2012, 03:53 PM   #97
amoosenamedhank
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZfocus2012 View Post
I am on my second tank of Shell V-Power/Optimax (premium91), and it appears to be at least a 3 mpg increase. On my regular back and forth to work I never got over 30mpg usually around 28. My first tank was 31.5mpg calculated not dash readout. It looks like my second tank could be even better. This was already being discussed in this thread with an interesting video.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284662
I've ran 87,91 and 92 just to see if I could feel any butt dyno difference in the car. While doing this, I didn't notice any fuel mpg increase nor decrease.

If you are noticing a difference, there are other factors at play.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:01 PM   #98
AZfocus2012
Focus Addict

Quote:
I've ran 87,91 and 92 just to see if I could feel any butt dyno difference in the car. While doing this, I didn't notice any fuel mpg increase nor decrease.

If you are noticing a difference, there are other factors at play.
I think the only factor at play is the TI-VCT engine that Ford says will see improved performance with premium fuel. Seems cut and dry to me. Plus the video seems to demonstrate that some cars are actually able to gain HP and TQ with premium fuel, something I thought was only a myth. Which without high tech computer control and variable cam timing would be just a myth. Unless the video is an elaborate, slick, internet hoax, but I don't think so. Also it appears to take several tanks or an ECU reset to see the difference.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:10 PM   #99
amoosenamedhank
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZfocus2012 View Post
I think the only factor at play is the TI-VCT engine that Ford says will see improved performance with premium fuel. Seems cut and dry to me. Plus the video seems to demonstrate that some cars are actually able to gain HP and TQ with premium fuel, something I thought was only a myth. Which without high tech computer control and variable cam timing would be just a myth. Unless the video is an elaborate, slick, internet hoax, but I don't think so. Also it appears to take several tanks or an ECU reset to see the difference.
Back in the days of carbs and none adjustable cam timing, that absolutely was a myth. You could twist your distributor and advance your timing so that you needed a higher octane... but an untouched car should run the fuel it is recommended to run.

As AZfocus has pointed out, with current technology which can adjust fueling and timing on the fly, it is very possible to notice a performance increase if the car has been designed to do so. There will always be the true ecoboxs that were designed to only run 87, and anything more will only waste your money. However, vehicles even like our little Focus here, sort of empower you as the owner to decide whether you'd like to save the money at the pump or potentially enjoy a slight pump in hp.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:18 PM   #100
AZfocus2012
Focus Addict

Quote:
However, vehicles even like our little Focus here, sort of empower you as the owner to decide whether you'd like to save the money at the pump or potentially enjoy a slight pump in hp.
Prior to the V-Pover/Optimax I had run a tank of Chevron 91 and Circle K 91 and saw little to no difference. So I can't say that the V-Power is that much better than the other premiums since others in other threads have said it takes multiple tanks for the ECU to adapt without a reset. But if this trend in MPG maintains, I will continue to use premium as it is a 5% premium at the pump, that appears to yield near a 10% increase in MPG. Others have said their cost per mile is less with premium. Plus, I think the car runs better on premium.

Bookmarks & Social Networks