Improving fuel econ? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-14-2014, 10:22 PM   #1
Sayshell
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 97253
What I Drive: 2012 focus SE with sports package

FF Reputation: 1 Sayshell Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Improving fuel econ?

I got a 2012 focus SE and was wondering if there is any way that could improve fuel economy, that would save more money than it costs. Like if I gotta spend 3000$ to get 1mpg it really isn't worth it. It is stock except for a couple weight reductions. Removed the rear seats and a couple small things in the trunk. I already get really good fuel econ, but if I can upgrade it why not?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2014, 09:46 AM   #2
Juicedz
Focus Addict

Fan#: 108814
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Hatchback SE, 5sp

FF Reputation: 3 Juicedz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I was going to say these cars already get great fuel economy. Just monitor your driving habits and tire pressure as this tends to have the greatest impact on mpg. You could always pick up a set of stock 15" steelies or lightweight aftermarket wheels if you really want to get serious. Some members will bump up the tire pressure in the front to 38-40psi in the front and 36-37 in the rear (approx). Toss in an aftermarket filter and look up DIY mods like the new mission/snorkel delete.
Hatch Nation#24 168whp 153wtq
Old 05-15-2014, 12:48 PM   #3
darkangelism
Sonic Crew #04

Fan#: 85425
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 9 darkangelism Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicedz View Post
I was going to say these cars already get great fuel economy. Just monitor your driving habits and tire pressure as this tends to have the greatest impact on mpg. You could always pick up a set of stock 15" steelies or lightweight aftermarket wheels if you really want to get serious. Some members will bump up the tire pressure in the front to 38-40psi in the front and 36-37 in the rear (approx). Toss in an aftermarket filter and look up DIY mods like the new mission/snorkel delete.
Pretty much this, wheels are the only cost effective ones, intake, exhaust and tune can help but for the price of parts it is a lot of money for a couple mpg
Sonic Crew #04
Steeda SRI/Newmission | Steeda RSB | SMC Replica ST Wing | SMC Aluminum Oil cap | Injected Tune | 2.5" custom exhaust
Old 05-15-2014, 01:30 PM   #4
onlycodered
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 149570
What I Drive: '09 Vista Blue SES coupe 5spd

FF Reputation: 4 onlycodered Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
How many miles are on your car? Might not hurt to put a bottle of Techron through your gas tank next time you fill up. I did that on my '09 with 54k miles that I recently purchased and my average MPG went up about 2-3. Just cleaning out the fuel system can make a difference.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:37 PM   #5
Tigeo
Focus Addict

Fan#: 113481
What I Drive: 2013 Ignot Silver Focus HB

FF Reputation: 1 Tigeo Good Standing Member
Drive the speed limit.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:00 PM   #6
JordanW2157
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114373
What I Drive: 2012 Fiat 500 Abarth

FF Reputation: 1 JordanW2157 Good Standing Member
Might be hard but be easy on the throttle!
Old 05-16-2014, 12:27 AM   #7
Sayshell
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 97253
What I Drive: 2012 focus SE with sports package

FF Reputation: 1 Sayshell Good Standing Member
only 5000 miles on it. I guess I don't drive much, have owned the car 1.5 years. Alright good ideas! I already drive super fuel efficiently and get 30cty/40hwy. I already got aluminum rims. Will try pressure and intake. Thanks!

Edit: I do drive the speed limit but you would actually get better fuel econ going over the limit. Most the places I drive it's around 80, and I find I get the best econ 110-120kmph. I don't drive like young people.. other than taking turns fast. I only do that to save gas lol. I accelerate slow, and use the select shift to keep the rpms super low, and I keep a big space between me and the car ahead of me.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:19 AM   #8
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 14 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
I am cheap. Stuff i do to improve fuel economy:
Drive the speed limit. Or slightly under.. Though for 30mph roads I drive at 32mph so i can be in fifth gear. At 55 limit drive 55 or 53mph (I usually never drive on 65mph limit road areas.. so no opinion. though some do go 55 in the 65 zones) (totally free)

Increase tire pressure. 43/44 front and 39/40 rear. Also gives better handling at the cost of slightly harsher ride (totally free, the tires do NOT get bald in the middle, they actually wear straigher across than at standard pressures where they tend to wear out at the edges first.)

Always keep windows closed and sunroof closed at speeds over 35mph. (Free)

Always very light on the throttle. Allow the engine to rev more and light foot, rather than low RPM bog and heavy foot. (free)

When approaching stop lights let the car glide instead of driving right up and hitting the brakes. Less braking means more mpg.. (free)

Do the snorkle delete (free)
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=297795

Get a free flow air filter ($40 to $70) worth it. Keep the air box lid ON. With the snorkle delete the best near free thing you can do, PERIOD.

Keep your car clean. waxed. the airflow over the body is better.. (work, + wax)

(PS using the air conditioner at freeway speeds wastes LESS GAS than leaving a window open)

At oil change go with a full synthetic. I use Mobil One 0w20 fuel saver. (But be aware 0w20 is not the official stock. it is 5w20 so take it with a grain of salt. If you live in the North, the 0w20 is better, The South I would not use 0w20. (I change my own oil so that is where I save money using synthetic. if you have it done for you, some places really charge a LOT to use it so??)

I get an average of 32mpg mostly city with a few 2 mile to 4 mile freeway jumps here and there. After the snorkle delete I think my average city mpg has gone up some over 32mpg. But I will have to wait and see before I claim to make it official. (32 is where I am always back to pretty much all the time so far for all driving.. With mainly city driving (but fewer stoplights compared to some folks experience of 'city')
If I am on the freeway for a long drive it varies between 42 and 47mpg depending on wind etc.

I NEVER rev the engine over 2 grand typically.. 2K fist 2K second 1.7k third.. fourth. and 1.5 k fifth.

So i am in 4th gear at 25mph. and 5th gear at 32mph.

I do rev the engine out sometimes on freeway ramps, and the occasional blast from a stoplight to get ahead of other cars..

I always try to maintain the one car length for each 10mph..and leave big gaps on the freeway..
Some say tailgating gains mpg and yes it does but is is a very dangerous practice. A semi on the freeway and you are twenty feet back will gain you big mpg gains at the risk of your life.. But some like to tailgate anyway, and some like the risk. (I never do this)

Also having a person tailgating YOU is a mpg saver. As they help keep the airstream flowing behind you.. (Nascar drivers use this all the time) I hate tailgaters,, but tell myself it is Ok as they are saving me gas..

So all of these things cost only the one item, which is the free flow air filter.

I also think Premium gas is much better, and gives me better mpg. But that is anywhere from $0.20 to $0.50 per gallon cost.
Me I like it and am willing to pay. For some not an option as they do NOT find the Premium to be any better than Regular gas. Up to you...
Old 05-16-2014, 02:33 AM   #9
Seminoles
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98405
What I Drive: 2012 SGM SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Seminoles Good Standing Member
I use 0W20 in the south with improvement and no problems for 70,000 miles the 20 is for high temps so 5W20 or 0W20 would still give same high temp just doesn't get cold enough for the 0W but does flow better less drag on engine. I did notice engine runs smother on it.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:53 PM   #10
thenorm
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 14947
What I Drive: '04 liquid grey ZX3, built for FSP

FF Reputation: 33 thenorm Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayshell View Post
I got a 2012 focus SE and was wondering if there is any way that could improve fuel economy, that would save more money than it costs. Like if I gotta spend 3000$ to get 1mpg it really isn't worth it. It is stock except for a couple weight reductions. Removed the rear seats and a couple small things in the trunk. I already get really good fuel econ, but if I can upgrade it why not?
lots you can do. I put together a hypermiling thread a while back
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=326057

many of these mods can be cheap, like the grill block and under belly pan.
although expensive, LRR tires can save you a bunch in the long run.

Bookmarks & Social Networks