Auto-Dimming Mirror - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-29-2011, 01:21 PM   #1
KimberChick
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 91809
What I Drive: 2010 Toyota Tacoma DoubleCab

FF Reputation: 1 KimberChick Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Auto-Dimming Mirror

Anyone added one to their 2012 yet? I've searched it out and come up empty so far. It's an option on the Titanium, but I'm wondering if anyone else has added one to their car on their own. I'm wondering if Ford has a plug for one under the headliner in all the cars for manufacturing's sake. I've found plug-n-play stuff on Toyotas...kinda hoping Ford might have maybe sorta done the same thing, lol. A few manufacturers leave it as a dealer-installed option.

I have one on my current vehicle and it makes a huge difference on the highway at night, but i didn't see it as an option to be added to the SE.

Anyone had the headliner down and found an odd, extra plug up there?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2011, 06:49 PM   #2
jimmyt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90069
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus titanium

FF Reputation: 1 jimmyt Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberChick View Post
Anyone added one to their 2012 yet? I've searched it out and come up empty so far. It's an option on the Titanium, but I'm wondering if anyone else has added one to their car on their own. I'm wondering if Ford has a plug for one under the headliner in all the cars for manufacturing's sake. I've found plug-n-play stuff on Toyotas...kinda hoping Ford might have maybe sorta done the same thing, lol. A few manufacturers leave it as a dealer-installed option.

I have one on my current vehicle and it makes a huge difference on the highway at night, but i didn't see it as an option to be added to the SE.

Anyone had the headliner down and found an odd, extra plug up there?
Got ours with our Titanium package and love it. I would call your dealer, Ford is giving 10% off on their aftermarket accessories right now. We have one on our Maxima too.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:17 PM   #3
TwentyTwelve
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 90924
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL Black

FF Reputation: 1 TwentyTwelve Good Standing Member
Mine has it and its and SEL ... works great : )
Old 12-16-2011, 11:48 PM   #4
st falcon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92343
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy HATCH SEL

FF Reputation: 3 st falcon Good Standing Member
it seems to be a little slow to react, and it allows more light to reflect than our old mountaineer...but, it never bothers me...I would look online before paying dealership prices, even at 10% off

1996 Bronco XLT 351W
Cant wait for Summer when I pop the top!!
Old 12-17-2011, 08:45 AM   #5
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Be aware that, unlike most other models, there is no "off" switch on the Focus mirror. In some conditions, I find the mirror makes things too dark and there's no way to make it less so. Mine came as part of a package but given my druthers I'd stick with the manual version.

On the plus side shifting into reverse eliminates the darkening, which is a nice feature.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:49 AM   #6
-sokO
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93367
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Ti Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 -sokO Good Standing Member
Any update on the OP? I want to add a basic auto dimming mirror that cost like $90 (mirror) to my Ti without the Auto mirror, but I dont really want to do it unless I can just plug the darn thing in and not have to splice it into another wire while taking the whole headliner off. I wonder if the Ford dealer would install a non oem dimming mirror for me for cheap if it's difficult.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:32 AM   #7
foh-kuhs
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94954
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium, Silver Ingot

FF Reputation: 1 foh-kuhs Good Standing Member
Personally I would prefer the manual dimming mirror. There are times when the mirror just doesn't react enough like during early dusk and a lifted truck is beaming bright lights through the back window. I would like a manual overide but there is none with auto dimming.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #8
-sokO
Focus Enthusiast

I know that on the one I linked, it has multiple different levels of dimming. Not sure if that's what you would want. You can also turn it completely off unlike the OEM one.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:29 PM   #9
riparke
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95781
What I Drive: 2012,red,se,hatch,manual,sport pkg

FF Reputation: 1 riparke Good Standing Member
installed mirror

I have a Gentex mirror with dimming and Homelink garage door opener. I took it off my trade-in (put back original). My SE hatchback did not have wiring that I could find in the roof, so I ran 2 wires under the head liner and down behind the weather stripping passenger side door to the fuse box under the glove and used add-a-fuse on I think fuse # 86. If you search for radar detector wiring their is a post that tells how even with pictures. On amazon for less than $100 to $300.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #10
-sokO
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by riparke View Post
I have a Gentex mirror with dimming and Homelink garage door opener. I took it off my trade-in (put back original). My SE hatchback did not have wiring that I could find in the roof, so I ran 2 wires under the head liner and down behind the weather stripping passenger side door to the fuse box under the glove and used add-a-fuse on I think fuse # 86. If you search for radar detector wiring their is a post that tells how even with pictures. On amazon for less than $100 to $300.
Thanks, I guess I will order the Gentex one without any extras and install it that way if I have to.. I'm getting tired of these trucks with lifts rolling up on me and blinding me with HIDs.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->