Grinding noise in front wheels, anything besides wheel bearings? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires

Wheels & Tires The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-07-2011, 12:36 PM   #1
mattrg
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 86550
What I Drive: 2003 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 mattrg Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Grinding noise in front wheels, anything besides wheel bearings?

I could use some opinions/ideas here other than my own and from someone more knowledgeable than me. Have around 78k miles on my 03 ZX3, but I don't put much miles on it. Probably only ~50 miles/week.

Little back story:
Last year (October?) I replaced my front wheel bearings/hubs. PITA, but that's another story. Had a grinding noise that was mostly just when turning, which went away after replacing bearings. All was good for awhile, until earlier this year I was getting a constant grinding noise (not just when turning like when I replaced bearing). Thought maybe it was just the brakes, so I replaced the pads. It helped the noise a lot. There was still a very slight "grinding" noise, but I dismissed it for maybe road noise from my tires.

Well the grinding/rubbing noise has gradually gotten significantly worse. It's quite loud at any speed over 25mph, but is very loud at highway speeds. To the point where I'm not really driving it atm, just the 2 miles to work during the week. Like I said, it's louder at higher speeds, but is independent of engine rpms. It's a constant noise (driving straight, turning, braking, etc.). It does seem to change "pitch" and loudness when going over any rounded bumps, where it bounces the car and the suspension is worked. And also when barely changing the steering. Think moving from side to side inside a lane on the highway, that little, changes the sound dramatically.

So my first thought is wheel bearings. Again? Would they go bad after less than a year? Maybe they were faulty? The sound is a little different than when I changed the bearings too, didn't start off just while turning like I thought normally happens. Wheels also don't seem to wobble at all when it's jacked up.
Or I thought maybe it's still the brakes. I didn't replace the rotors, and maybe I should have. Also didn't grease or clean when I replaced the pads. (I was in a rush.) But would it grind constantly, not just when braking? It also seems to brake fine. And why would the slight turning change the sound?
My suspension is going out as well, I think, it hits bumps very hard. Could that have an effect?

Anyway, I appreciate anyone reading all of this, and am open to any ideas/thoughts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2011, 12:58 PM   #2
Entrical
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 75364
What I Drive: '09 Black SES

FF Reputation: 1 Entrical Good Standing Member
If you think it's coming from the brakes, pull the pads off and re-lube the sliders, pads, and see if there is any debris caught between the pads and the rotors. Also inspect your CV boots to see if they're torn or leaking grease. While you're at it, check out the lower ball joint too. When you're done, test drive it and see if you hear the same thing. If you do, your bearing is likely toast. If it's gone bad that fast, you've either got a faulty bearing, or something else causing your bearing to wear out faster than normal. Was your hub still good? Any scoring or scratches when you had it out? Did you install it correctly?
Old 06-08-2011, 08:59 PM   #3
rma5051
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 59683
What I Drive: 2001 silver zx3

FF Reputation: 1 rma5051 Good Standing Member
I just had the... I think its called the carrier bearing... on the passengers side axle of my fiances 01 ZX3. The CV joint was on its way out too so I just had the entire axle changed. It started sounding like a grinding noise from the front end and I couldn't figure it out either until I took it somewhere. Hope this helps.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:58 PM   #4
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
I agree with Entrical. Check those slider pins. Clean them well and the hole in the caliper they go into then relube them with high temp brake grease. When these get dry or gunked up they can cause the brake pads to drag on the rotor. In essence, they're not fully releasing.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:45 PM   #5
mattrg
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrical View Post
If you think it's coming from the brakes, pull the pads off and re-lube the sliders, pads, and see if there is any debris caught between the pads and the rotors. Also inspect your CV boots to see if they're torn or leaking grease. While you're at it, check out the lower ball joint too. When you're done, test drive it and see if you hear the same thing. If you do, your bearing is likely toast. If it's gone bad that fast, you've either got a faulty bearing, or something else causing your bearing to wear out faster than normal. Was your hub still good? Any scoring or scratches when you had it out? Did you install it correctly?
CV boots looked to be fine, no tears. I replaced hubs as well when I did bearing. And I believe I installed them fine. Not too hard to do, was just a pita to get them out and back into the knuckle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rma5051 View Post
I just had the... I think its called the carrier bearing... on the passengers side axle of my fiances 01 ZX3. The CV joint was on its way out too so I just had the entire axle changed. It started sounding like a grinding noise from the front end and I couldn't figure it out either until I took it somewhere. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the input. I'll look into the carrier bearing more, as I'm not familiar with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
I agree with Entrical. Check those slider pins. Clean them well and the hole in the caliper they go into then relube them with high temp brake grease. When these get dry or gunked up they can cause the brake pads to drag on the rotor. In essence, they're not fully releasing.
Yup, I plan on working on the brakes first, to see if it helps. Probably will replace the rotors, and will properly clean and lube this time. Only thing I'm confused on is, didn't seem like there were slider pins. Just the 2 bolts that hold the caliper on, and the pads seem to sit on side "rails". Or am I mistaken? Was my first time changing brakes on a Focus.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:22 AM   #6
gagescope
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100531
What I Drive: 2004 ZTW Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 gagescope Good Standing Member
I have this too

So its been a while since your last post did you ever figure the problem out? I have the same grinding noise .. no sound 0 - 20 km/h, light 21-30km/h , bearable 30-60, too darn loud 60 - 120 km/h. My sound seems to be coming from the reare left.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:05 AM   #7
dmac03
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100424
What I Drive: 2003 white ZX3.MTX75. 2.3L

FF Reputation: 1 dmac03 Good Standing Member
I had the same probelm for the pass three months. I changed both wheel hub bearing.
Even got new axles. But before I changed them I changed my motor mounts. Grinding noise went awaybut I notice my tires was all jacked up so that's wen I changed my bearing.
Bout a week after replacement of my bearings. The grinding noise returned. Didn't think it was my bearing Becuz I just changed them. Thought it was coming from my trans. So today I jacked it back up. Didn't really here where it was comin from. But long story short. Lol. It turned out to be my wheel hub bearing again. Less then four months of me replacing it. Pass side.. I might had of over tighting it and bust the shit open. Changed it and car runs smooth. No noise. But still looking for a clutch to replace stock OEM.
Try checkin out ur wheel bearings again n that carrier bearing also. If so. I got my new axle wit the carrier bearing on it so I wouldn't have to get one pressed on.. just remember not to tighten it to hard. They might be the problem
Old 06-25-2012, 08:55 AM   #8
mattrg
Focus Rookie

It was my bearing again, they seem to be touchy little bastards on the Focus. When I replaced it the first time, it wasn't 100% seated in the knuckle and I pulled it rest of the way in when I tightened the axle nut. Should be ok to do, but it wasn't. So this time, I made sure to press the bearing in 100% before installing back into the car. It's been good so far.

If you can't press it yourself, be wary of who does it. I had the Ford dealer do it the first time, and they screwed it up. Had to buy a new bearing; ended up buying a press and doing it myself. Also, don't buy the cheap bearings.

Your issue may not be bearing though, if it's coming from rear. Usually it's the front that goes out, and therefore is more noticeable when turning.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:05 AM   #9
Finn'sFocus
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 138353
What I Drive: 2005 Arizona beige ZXW

Points 6, Level 1
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1
Level Up 11% Completed
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 Finn'sFocus Good Standing Member
I had the same issue on my 2005 ZXW at 110000 miles. Turned out that all three front bearings were shot. The idler bearing on the axle is not very well protected from the elements like road spray from salt etc. Had a whole range of fixes proposed including a bad transmission and trans-axle. $1000.00 in the shop. Bites for that mileage I reckon!
Old 02-23-2015, 11:19 AM   #10
felixthecat
w/ my magic bag

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Points 13,701, Level 76
Points: 13,701, Level: 76 Points: 13,701, Level: 76 Points: 13,701, Level: 76
Level Up 13% Completed
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 67 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn'sFocus View Post
I had the same issue on my 2005 ZXW at 110000 miles. Turned out that all three front bearings were shot. The idler bearing on the axle is not very well protected from the elements like road spray from salt etc. Had a whole range of fixes proposed including a bad transmission and trans-axle. $1000.00 in the shop. Bites for that mileage I reckon!
Beats payments^^^^^
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mixBigger brakes then you- D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.