2nd oil change much better than the first - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-12-2004, 07:30 PM   #1
blee
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 5962
What I Drive: 2004 Sonic Blue SVT Focus ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 blee Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
2nd oil change much better than the first

I learned my lesson after the first oil change debacle on this car. This time I put the car on ramps and waited a good two hours before crawling underneath. Yeah, it's better to change oil when it's hot...well, not at the expense of burned flesh. And since I typically change oil every 3000 miles or so anyway, I'm not too worried about draining non-hot oil. I had my skin all over the header pipes this time and my arms are as perfect as they were before I started. :p

Since I'm the one who tightened the oil filter this time, and not the boys in Hermosillo, it came off without any major fuss. I loosened it from below, then reached down for it through the engine bay and unscrewed it the rest of the way. Just one harness connector to disconnect, and a nearly no-mess filter change.

Finally, since the car is now over 4000 miles old, I put in Mobil 1. I've experienced valve tapping noises, particularly on cold mornings, with the dino oil. The tapping got louder as I burned up more oil; I suspect that I was down maybe .25 - .5 quarts before I changed oil today. Now the engine is smooth again, and I expect the better lubrication to lead to slightly less valve noise. We'll see about that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2004, 07:44 PM   #2
RockyNBullwinkle
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12930
What I Drive: 2002 SVT Focus, 01 Silverado Z71

FF Reputation: 1 RockyNBullwinkle Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
What harness did you disconnect?

I've never disconnected anything through the course of an oil change. You should have went with Royal Purple as well, I liked Mobil 1 before I tried Royal Purple. I'm hooked now. You want to talk about quiet engine and smooth running. Royal Purple or Redline :D
Old 10-12-2004, 09:06 PM   #3
blee
Focus Enthusiast

There's a harness with the female end sort of held in place near the passenger side shock tower. By disconnecting that I was able to snake my arm through the engine bay from above to access the oil filter, making its removal a no-mess proposition. Truthfully, there isn't a whole lot of oil that comes out of there anyway...but I was just being anal retentive. It would have been just as easy to do it all from underneath the car with a few more paper towels.

Yes, RP and RL make some good fluids. I just can't justify the extra expense for something I already change more frequently than indicated by the maintenance schedule.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:26 PM   #4
d3bilhan
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12408
What I Drive: 2002 Silver ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 d3bilhan Good Standing Member
If you were starting to get valve noise at 4,000 miles. I would seriously think about whether you have a problem.

[img]
Old 10-12-2004, 09:37 PM   #5
blee
Focus Enthusiast

In my case, I suspect the valve noise was a result of low oil levels. I'm usually super-vigilant about chekcing oil levels and topping off as needed, but I lapsed over the past few months and I realized last weekend that I was definitely low. Can't say how much, exactly, but that may have had an effect. It certainly wasn't low enough to damage the cams.

That said, I've got my eye on it. i doubt there's a problem, but one never knows.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:55 PM   #6
RockyNBullwinkle
Focus Enthusiast

Well the SVT is already a pretty loud engine as it is. The only way I found to get rid of the tapping from the valves completely was switching fluids. I wouldn't worry about it too much. The SVTOA board 2 years ago had a lot of complaints about the valve noise, some speculated that it was due to a softer composite in the cam. Techs said it was natural. My Royal Purple said bye bye to the noise.
Old 10-15-2004, 05:21 PM   #7
lopoetve
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 13806
What I Drive: 2003 Sonic Blue SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 lopoetve Good Standing Member
wait a sec, you're burning oil at 4000 miles? Or leaking it???
Old 10-15-2004, 05:45 PM   #8
blee
Focus Enthusiast

burning. The last 4000 miles have been, er, enthusiastic. :)
Old 10-15-2004, 07:30 PM   #9
RockyNBullwinkle
Focus Enthusiast

The engine will burn oil during break in. A very small amount but none the less it will. This is due to the clearances of a brand new engine. The rings are not fully seated thus allowing a small amount of oil to enter the combustion chamber.
Old 10-15-2004, 09:50 PM   #10
blee
Focus Enthusiast

Oil will also sneak past the rings in hard driving situations on some engines. I've experienced this with two cars I've owned in the past, which didn't leak a drop of oil but would consume it when not driven gently. Not a big deal, IMHO.

Bookmarks & Social Networks