Yet another SPI knocking -- Will Fix It! - Page 8 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > SPI Performance (2000-2004)

SPI Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Split Port Injection engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-20-2011, 09:22 AM   #71
LugNut
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92146
What I Drive: 2001 White Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 LugNut Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Angry Scheiße!

I'm glad this is my hobby, and not a business for me ...

Despite my research, just figured out that the rings I ordered and the three surviving pistons don't match. Beware!

Apparently there was a redesign of the SPI pistons, changing from a 1.2 mm top ring to 1.5 mm later. The ring set should have fit, from my research on the replacement piston I needed (with the C-shaped valve groove on top). But no ... my original pistons are of the first generation.

So, after some mental gymnastics and consternation, decided to buy a whole new set of pistons (now on order, along with the new fan control relay) instead of the expensive 1st gen ring set. This will yield four matching pistons and rings, instead of mixed. The wrist pins are pressed into the connecting rods -- my hydraulic press awaits.

I have plenty of other work on the engine parts (cleaning, etc.) and car to keep me busy 'till the pistons arrive.

I'll post my spare old (3) and new pistons and wrist pins, and one spare set (for one piston only) of new 2nd gen rings for sale, along with any other leftover parts, in the Buy/Sale/Trade Parts/Accessory section of the site when I'm done with the restoration of the car. Search for a post there by member "LugNut" in the not too distant future.

I tried to post another parts-wanted there this morning (I need the OEM 5-speed+R pattern shifter insert (goes in the top of the factory knob)), but it wouldn't let me post. Somehow I slipped a WTB post through there before, before my 30 days' new-member jail term is up?

BTW, the new LuK clutch set looks excellent, and is the same as what was installed but the original has both LuK and Ford marks. Clutch set is from the UK.

Fixed Up a white 2001 P-code SE Sedan
including rebuilding the SPI (see my threads)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2011, 10:18 AM   #72
poppop
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 59702
What I Drive: 2001,Red,LX

FF Reputation: 2 poppop Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Sie sind deutscher?
Old 12-20-2011, 12:53 PM   #73
LugNut
Focus Enthusiast

Not the South; The East will Rise Again!

Nicht Deutsch. Preußisch-Amerikaner!

Old 12-20-2011, 06:50 PM   #74
LugNut
Focus Enthusiast

Question Not glamorous work

But am making good progress on cleaning parts. I have the _huge_ intake manifold apart and now soaking in hot, soapy water.

Also washed then lightly resurfaced the flywheel. Looks good. Also cleaned up the harmonic dampener.

The PCV's breather element, in the lower half of the air filter box, was basically dirty, gritty goo -- had to scrape it out. After washing the box, installed the new element.

Have the rusty EGR's tube's nut soaking in Liquid Wrench -- lots of warnings out there to take apart and clean out the EGR, as well as the intake, to out all the dropped valve seat parts, lest the new head/engine be destroyed too.

Installed three heater/cooling new hoses in the engine bay -- was fairly easy with the engine outta there. New thermostat fit nicely in the cleaned-up housing (remember to remove the paper covering the rubber ring's sticky surface). Old thermostat was 88C, new one from Stant is 89C.

Cleaned lots of nuts and bolts, as well as the last original piston. The new set of pistons are coming from one large state away, so they may get here before the weekend, except they do need to cross where a blizzard just hit. Highway's open last I checked though. Still a long list to keep me busy while I'm waiting, including cleaning the throttle body and SPI valve assembly (or whatever its called).

Question: I've only found about one-fifth of the valve seat so far, and they were all in the intake manifold. I'll look more carefully, but I didn't see any pieces in the catalytic converter. Maybe some were pounded into the piston? Or pulverized? Where have you found pieces in an affected SPI?

Old 12-21-2011, 09:47 AM   #75
LugNut
Focus Enthusiast

Thumbs up Productive Piston Pause

Started off as a great day! Sunny vs. ugly yesterday. And quickly got the shifter cables readjusted so that reverse works smoothly.

Reverse lock-out, despite the owner's manual instructions, is to move out of fifth, then left-right in neutral, then you can shift into reverse, at least in this car.

I used the Workshop Manual/factory service manual procedure for adjusting the cables since I had the console out. It requires inserting a small drill bit in the side of the shifter, so it needs to be uncovered. Step 6.2 was the problem: "Move the selector lever to its center position." That selector lever is the transmission's lower input lever (not the counterweighted one), and I had to remove its cable's end (easy; with the new style you push in the end's cap and gently pry the end off with a screwdriver) to determine the center of this lever's travel. The upward ~two-fifths of the travel was against a spring, while the lower ~three-fifths was easy. So centered was just below where the upper spring resistance starts, at least for this one. Then reattached the cable end, shifted into third, and snapped closed the cable lock. Removed the drill bit and the shifter worked smoothly. Reinstalled the center console.

Q: The console's armrest's lid latch is floppy and doesn't engage well. I took the cover off and didn't find evidence of a missing/broken spring inside. Anyone fix this problem, and how?

Q: The secondary SPI intake throttle/port assembly is the "Intake Manifold Runner Control" (IMRC) in Ford-speak. The 2000 FSM is silent on its disassembly/cleaning. Any good threads on it here? No time to search at the moment; too much good work to do.

The new piston set might be here as soon as tomorrow, but I don't plan to be working on the FF then. Maybe Friday.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:04 AM   #76
meteor545
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92305
What I Drive: 2002 blue 4 door spi manual

FF Reputation: 1 meteor545 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
the centre console latch has a plastic tongue for a spring. mine is on the verge of snapping off, my old one is missing. I plan to install a spring to keep the lid latched, but haven't had any luck finding a viable spring at the local auto parts or hardware stores.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:28 PM   #77
LugNut
Focus Enthusiast

Hmmm ... I didn't see a tongue or anything for a spring to mount. But I did look through my box of little springs, but unfortunately only had compression and tension types, no torsional.

Another productive day, mainly cleaning parts. But did install the new release bearing for the clutch, after cleaning up the inside of the bellhousing a bit. Also cleaned well the mating surface of the bellhousing, where the engine will bolt back up. Bleeding the release bearing will have to wait until the clutch is fully installed.

No more significant chunks of valve seat found, including in the EGR valve or its tube (took my biggest metric wrench, 27mm, to get it apart). Cleaned them out well. Also a major cleaning job on the intake manifold, oil pan, oil pickup, and windage tray. Exhaust manifold's gaskets scraped away. Throttle body cleaned, as well as various other pieces.

The windage tray was somewhat smashed by the piston chunks, so before cleaning, it underwent a gentle massaging with a hammer and an anvil.

Nice to have that shifter done, and the console and the trans' cable cover back on.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:50 PM   #78
mikebontoft
AKA "Toxx"

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
how have I not seen this thread since the last time I posted here? I really dont know.

Theres a lot I could have answered...

Anyway Im tired of not seeing pictures. The only way to post on FF is to your gallery which needs to be approved before it can be viewed. Or you can use photobucket.

Send me a pm with your email address or tell me to send you one so I can put your pictures in their own group on my photobucket. Happy to do it.

I want to see what your pistons look like. On mine, they were all dinged up on the top but the ring lands were fine and didnt change size (except for the bashed piston, the upper ring was solid!! ) they cleaned up nicely anyway.

I may post my pics here of the engine and piston pieces since it was probably just like yours.

Good work so far LugNut

edit: btw I can edit your posts too.. just say which pic goes where and Ill fix it.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 in progress) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-alt DD/ rally car) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod) | '75 BMW 2002 "unnamed" (donor race car) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Quote:
Getting groceries never sounded so good!
Old 12-23-2011, 12:01 PM   #79
LugNut
Focus Enthusiast

Cool That's what machine shops are for

Tried pressing out a wrist pin, using a custom made mandrel, but it was obviously not going to work due to too soft metal. So admitted defeat, and ran the parts out to my great guys at the machine shop. They said they see lots of these grenaded SPIs.

So back to cleaning parts, and after reading about it here by chance, I'll also flush out the heater core and radiator.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:19 PM   #80
LugNut
Focus Enthusiast

Pistons/rods back from the shop -- look good. Due to Christmas, not sure if I will install them before Monday.

Did flush the heater core (got some white scale out) and radiator, and cleaned the valve cover after disassembling it. The old PCV valve was definitely on its last legs, and the new one was quite resistant to going in in its place.

But now a fairly clear path to getting this engine back together, and reinstalled!

Bookmarks & Social Networks