Is Handling Package on Titanium worth it? - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-21-2011, 08:10 AM   #21
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 87742
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ti Sedan

FF Reputation: 4 copernicium112 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
^^^^

No doubt there. I just spent $1300 at Tirerack this past Sat. on a set of dedicated winters. Even though we haven't had any snow yet it is colder here now and I can tell the difference with how the 18s are performing in the cold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2011, 08:19 AM   #22
gtncpa
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86143
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 gtncpa Good Standing Member
The Titanium with the handling package feels great! I am thinking of trying on the track in the spring. But the down side is the 18" PS#'s are very expensive ... but they are a great tire. It is an upgrade tire on some of Euro's bests performance cars.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:56 AM   #23
alfack
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91684
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium sedan

FF Reputation: 1 alfack Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by friction View Post
We considered a titanium with the handling package. I really liked the look of the 18's, and the tighter suspension.

But the handling package comes equipped with summer tires. In my experience, summer tires are terrible in snow and ice, or even just very cold temperatures...

Buying a new car and right off the bat having to get a 2nd set of wheels and tires to handle the winter weather, no thanks.

If we lived in a warmer climate, we definately would have opted for the handling package.
I can understand this. I kept my 4x4 for driving around in the snow. FWD cars are great for snow, if you have the proper tire setup.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:57 AM   #24
kingsoup
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 66334
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti Sedan Sport

FF Reputation: 1 kingsoup Good Standing Member
I test drove a non handling package Titanium and just picked up my Ti with the handling package. I have 15" snow tires on it now but the dampening is noticibly firmer then the Ti normal with 17's I drove. I much perfer the firm dampening, but with the 18's I'm sure its going to be quite firm, they didn't mess around with this thing, the rates feel excellent, it doesn't feel too harsh on bigger drops at highway speed, or hard in town, but its quite firm, its really not far off my 95 WRX STi, which is exactly what I wanted. I would really recommend trying out both before you buy, as it does seem to be a substantial difference. Also the 18's are very nice looking wheels, and the 235's will be just what I need when driving fast through the Rocky mountains, and I'm sure those tires will be good for at least 35,000kms.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:01 PM   #25
Craeshen
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90525
What I Drive: 2012 candy blue Focus titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Craeshen Good Standing Member
I went with the handling package but then again one of the incentives the dealership gave me is tires for life so even if the PS3's wear out quick I get a new set free.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:48 PM   #26
alfack
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91684
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium sedan

FF Reputation: 1 alfack Good Standing Member
That is a sweet incentive!
Old 11-21-2011, 02:13 PM   #27
Creamsicle
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91108
What I Drive: 2012 Ti hatch

FF Reputation: 2 Creamsicle Good Standing Member
I had an SEL sedan with leather for a week as a rental on biz travel, then had an SE hatch with cloth for a week as a rental on vacation. This extended experience taught me a LOT.

After much research and a little lurking here, I test-drove a Titanium with the sport package and bought it that night. For me, the handling is noticeably tighter than the stock SE / SEL. Which I like.

After a week in the car, I ordered all-season Kumho rubber and swapped out the tires. The michelins are great, and if I could afford to buy a second set of rims I would have kept them and just bought some A/S for winter use, but as it is I plan to sell the Michelins next spring.

The sport package is an amazing value at $595. Those Michelin Pilot Sport 3 tires cost over $1000 (check Tire Rack) alone, and the rims are very nice, at least I think so. Once i get the calipers painted they'll look even better.

I am slightly annoyed by the loss of cargo space (actually, not so much by the loss of space, but by the fact that the floor isn't level with the rear seat folded down) but having a full-size spare is a trade-off that's well worth it to me.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:52 PM   #28
FLSVT04
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 60256
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 FLSVT04 Good Standing Member
^^^
I would agree completely as I test drove a few cars. I like the way my 18" and suspension pkg handles. Plus very easy to clean wheels that look great IMPO. I am also in Sunny Florida though, so my opinion might vary if I had to deal with snow and a different set of wheels/tires.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:46 PM   #29
Fuzzy Logic
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91597
What I Drive: 2012 White Plat Met Tri Ti HB

FF Reputation: 2 Fuzzy Logic Good Standing Member
i made this post in my own thread, but you do lose SOME space because of the full sized spare. it's another thing to think about when getting the handling / sport package:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Logic View Post
i know some people who are thinking of getting a titanium with the sport / handling package are probably wondering about the 18 inch wheels, and how much space you actually lose with the back seats folded flat due to the increased size of the spare tire. i can safely say, it's not all that much... here's some pictures:

as you can see, the space is still pretty cavernous. here's a pic from the passenger door:

and pics of the stepdown due to the increased size of the spare:

a better angle:

for someone that needs every inch, yeah it may be too much to give up. but as you can see from my pics, it's really not all that bad of a space to give up.

i know other factors play into it like cost of the tires and other things, but space... for the normal joe schmoe, you aren't giving up a lot at all.
thought it would also help posting it here if anyone debating on whether to get it or not would like to know how much space is lost with the rear seats folded flat.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:52 PM   #30
underbird10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88103
What I Drive: 2014 ST3

FF Reputation: 3 underbird10 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I got the handling package, then immediately replaced the wheels and put the Eibach springs ont he car to lower it by an inch. IMO, the handling package is worth the money. Here's why.

$595 for the package. I then sold my original 18" Focus rims for $900, bought my new rims, had them installed, and bought the spring kit all for $900. Now I have 18" Michelin Z-rated tires, on beautiful rims, and the lowering kit, plus the bigger sway bar for $595. You can't beat that deal with a stick.

As far as the ride goes... the handling package is a little stiffer, and the tires are lower aspect ratio so you get a little harsher ride. On the other hand, it's still very refined for a daily commuter.

My other rides -2006 Performance White Mustang GT Coupe, 2004 40th Anniversary Edition Mustang Coupe, 2013 Edge Limited

Bookmarks & Social Networks