Rattle on the right - Page 9 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-03-2012, 04:37 PM   #81
wgilles
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91264
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SE 5 speed

FF Reputation: 1 wgilles Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Here's what I did. There is only three screws holding this plate on so I took it off to work on it a little more easily. I cleaned it off and applied some 1/8" thick double sided tape to the bottom edge of the panel (bottom of the picture). I covered the tape in duct tape so it doesn't come off. I put duct tape on all the little ridges just to reduce vibration if there was any left. Bolted it back on, quiet as a sleeping baby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2012, 06:37 AM   #82
slow3v
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101709
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus SE MTX

FF Reputation: 1 slow3v Good Standing Member
I must say, after a month of ownership and racking up 2500 miles, these cars are RATTLE TRAPS.

Coming from a '06 Milan, that thing was like a luxury-import in comparison! My '05 Mustang GT.. well, it was a Mustang on stiff aftermarket suspension.

I have a TERRIBLE rattle in my front pass. A-Pillar, that I think I've finally alleviated (paper folded and shoved between pillar and dash), I have the B-Pillar rattle on my side, and last night on the way home I heard some atrocious one near the center console on the pass side at low speed. Also have the high frequency gauge cluster surround "buzz" / rattle at speed.

I'm not going to bother with the dealer. I'd have to write all of these down and bring in a list of areas to check. I'd rather my interior not be torn apart with less than 5k on it for crying out loud. I think it's just the nature of the design. Lots of small plastic bits everywhere, it's a complex interior.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:59 PM   #83
TiPilot
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93667
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 TiPilot Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiPilot View Post
Thank you!

I'll print this out and take to my dealer when I take the car in for some other stuff this week.
Well I printed this out, and the dealer used it (so thanks again!) and said they stuffed some foam in there as a fix. Something about how the panels came together and when they pushed on it, they could hear a slight rattle. So that's the good news.

The bad news is... my rattle's still there, loud as ever.

It's noticeable still, as always, at speeds about 45-50 MPH or so. I can really notice it when I hit 70-75. It's not overbearing but I can hear it over music.

I have no idea what to do at this point. The dealer said (rightfully so, in their defense) that it's really freaking hard to diagnose and fix squeaks and rattles. My CSM isn't really much help - I told her about the non-fix and she said I could take it back in. But I'm getting tired of driving 20 miles (each way) every couple weeks to make no progress. It's time I don't have - not to mention a steadily increasing out-of-pocket cost in all the gas I've been using to ferry the car back and forth.

I just want my new car to not rattle and creak like a rusted-out hunk of junk!

Build Date: 12/2/2011 | New APIM: 4/4/2012
MFT: Factory v2.11, 3/14/12 Web -> v3.0.2, 9/24/12 Web -> v3.2.2, 1/24/13 Web -> v3.5.1, 8/13/13 Web -> v3.6
Old 09-10-2012, 04:55 PM   #84
HRK1138
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103676
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy SE Sport

FF Reputation: 1 HRK1138 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgilles View Post
Here's what I did. There is only three screws holding this plate on so I took it off to work on it a little more easily. I cleaned it off and applied some 1/8" thick double sided tape to the bottom edge of the panel (bottom of the picture). I covered the tape in duct tape so it doesn't come off. I put duct tape on all the little ridges just to reduce vibration if there was any left. Bolted it back on, quiet as a sleeping baby
What part is this?

I've got the upper-right-dash-rattle at startup, and am looking for solutions.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:44 PM   #85
CrankyWookie
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89821
What I Drive: 2012, Sterling Grey, Hatch Ti

FF Reputation: 2 CrankyWookie Good Standing Member
Quote:
I have no idea what to do at this point. The dealer said (rightfully so, in their defense) that it's really freaking hard to diagnose and fix squeaks and rattles. My CSM isn't really much help - I told her about the non-fix and she said I could take it back in. But I'm getting tired of driving 20 miles (each way) every couple weeks to make no progress. It's time I don't have - not to mention a steadily increasing out-of-pocket cost in all the gas I've been using to ferry the car back and forth.

I just want my new car to not rattle and creak like a rusted-out hunk of junk!

Sorry to hear you are still dealing with a rattle. I sure know how frustrating it is! The guys at the dealership put a lot of effort in trying to track it down I just finally found this as the source of my problem and posted hoping it may help others.
I really love this car it’s so much fun to drive, very solid. I guess that’s one reason why the rattles bugged me so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRK1138 View Post
What part is this?

I've got the upper-right-dash-rattle at startup, and am looking for solutions.
It's a small cover located just in front of the rear tires on the driver and passenger sides. I may be part of the underbody air dam or a debris shield?
Old 09-10-2012, 09:55 PM   #86
TiPilot
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyWookie View Post
Sorry to hear you are still dealing with a rattle. I sure know how frustrating it is! The guys at the dealership put a lot of effort in trying to track it down I just finally found this as the source of my problem and posted hoping it may help others.
I really love this car itís so much fun to drive, very solid. I guess thatís one reason why the rattles bugged me so much.
Yup, the dealer's been good about it. The acknowledge the rattle and appreciated (as did I) your fix. They said the printout was really helpful.

I love how this car rides and handles, too - so I'm in complete agreement. If they could just make MFT work like advertised and fix these dang rattles this car would be perfect!

MFT: Factory v2.11, 3/14/12 Web -> v3.0.2, 9/24/12 Web -> v3.2.2, 1/24/13 Web -> v3.5.1, 8/13/13 Web -> v3.6
Old 09-11-2012, 06:48 PM   #87
FatMan069
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 96213
What I Drive: 2012 Red Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 FatMan069 Good Standing Member
I HAVE THE FIX!!! i had the same noise on my focus, and luckly i work at a shop. I lifted the car and found out that a head shield over the exhaust by the exhaust support bar was rattling barley, but i tore that sucker off and the noise went away.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:17 AM   #88
wgilles
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatMan069 View Post
I HAVE THE FIX!!! i had the same noise on my focus, and luckly i work at a shop. I lifted the car and found out that a head shield over the exhaust by the exhaust support bar was rattling barley, but i tore that sucker off and the noise went away.
I've heard that from some other people. Nice job finding it. I think there is more than one rattle on the right side of our cars. Some on the inside and some on the outside.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:29 AM   #89
TiPilot
Focus Addict

So perhaps my situation has changed...

Driving over the weekend, the usual rattle (that always sounds to me as though it's in the passenger door area) was noisy as always. However, my wife said that she thought it was coming from the lower center console console area...?

Have any of you narrowed your rattle problem down to something in that area?

Old 09-17-2012, 11:48 AM   #90
wgilles
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
So perhaps my situation has changed...

Driving over the weekend, the usual rattle (that always sounds to me as though it's in the passenger door area) was noisy as always. However, my wife said that she thought it was coming from the lower center console console area...?

Have any of you narrowed your rattle problem down to something in that area?
Check up about 10 posts or so. One person posted that it was coming from the trim piece on the right side of the console/dash

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->